Tony Natoli

All,

Tony asked me to update you all on his status.
Some of you may know that Tony was having surgery.
I might be wrong, but in our conversations, he did not know when he went to surgery that his condition was serious.
Without going into too much detail, the doctors have discovered cancer in late stages in his intestines, bladder, and abdomen.
Tony's condition is terminal. It is unknown if he will be able to post on X-Web again but he asked me to let you all know.
When I spoke with Tony, he sounded quite weak and he knows his time is short.

I've been thinking about Tony every day. He is my "brother from another mother" as I often say and we have a bond that is like family.
Over a decade ago, Tony and Sharon opened up their home to me when I was in the LA area on a business trip and we've been close friends ever since. At the time, he only knew me from this Web site. (thank you Ian Macintosh!) Tony's one of X-Web's "old guard" having been here since it changed from from "Seattle X1/9" to X-Web. "Papa Tony" is one of our most revered and respected members. I pray that his time left gives him peace and closure. I also pray for Sharon too. Thankfully, his son Joe and daughter Nicole are by his side to help.

Tony will not likely be able to answer calls or emails but he wanted me to give you this update. I told him I would.
Being 3000 miles away and with Covid looming everywhere makes it hard to visit those we love, but at least I got to tell him that personally.
More as I hear...

My Best, -Bob
Thanks for relaying the news bbrown.

Tony knows he has a HUGE team for support here.
If he has forgotten that then maybe he should be reminded.

Papa Tony was such a presence that when he quit showing up regularly, XWeb seemed to get awfully quiet. Always helpful with words of wisdom and reason. And he traeted everyone like they were his best buddy. I certainly miss his presence.

I'm not posting much, maby around 4 years since i've signed in, more of a bystander.
But among the things i noticed first are the amount of respect and love Tony receives.
I'm sure it's giving him strength and some joy in this hard times.

With great sadness, Anthony "Tony" Louis Natoli Jr lost his battle to cancer today, September 07, 2021.

Tony passed away at about 3:00PM Pacific time this afternoon. He was surrounded by his loved ones, and was in no pain.
Tony was one of the most kind and generous people I know. To those who have frequented this site over the years, you will know about the many contributions he's made here. He will be greatly missed. The news was shared by his brother Joe, whom has kept me up to date. Joe lost his brother of 73 years today. I also feel that I too, have lost a brother. There will never be another quite like Papa Tony. Today is a very sad day.

I am posting a few photos, most of which were shared by Joe Natoli. Some of which you might have already seen in the past.

Tony's first Hot Rod project, taken in 1966
T-Bkt.jpg

Photo taken in 2016 of the exact same Hot Rod. (completed by someone else)
DSC_5577.jpg

Tony hamming it up on brother Joe's second project truck -although he would claim he was teaching Joe the fine art of color sanding.
55 Pickup.jpg

Me and Tony, as I will always remember him. Love you brother. I will never forget you.
BB_TonySm.jpg

Attachments

• T-Bkt.jpg
    T-Bkt.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
:( We never met, so I can’t compare the loss some of you are feeling, but in a June 11 thread titled ‘1300 Engine - Free’, you can really get an idea what a caring, generous and exxe guy he really was. Offering help out of nowhere to someone he never met. Looks like those who knew him personally were very fortunate :)

Last edited:
I got this email last night:

Sorry to have to be the bearer of bad news...Tony passed away today.

While it was not unexpected, it still is a loss...

We are happy we were able to visit w/ him last week. We had a nice chat and he seemed to perk up talking about cars/toys and his experiences.

He was surrounded by his family, Not sure you can have a nicer transition....

Tony and I became great friends over the years. From our many meetings at The Best of France and Italy, to conversations on this forum. And of course, our mutual love of the X1/9.
We especially hit it off while we were spending time at a private collection tour waiting for the rest of the group to show up. He loved his Fiat, and he loved talking about his automotive exploits when he was a young pup. My Fiat truck sports a special "Traffic Violator" sticker he gave Brookie to display. It's dated 1947, and I guess he earned one for his rod from the LAPD while the program was in effect.
A toast to Tony!

Tony always had great positive comments & suggestions, I hope his journey onward is without too much pain.
As with others on here, I had several close family members die of cancers. It's hard to watch, I can only imagine the level of pain & suffering it causes.

My first Xperience with Tony went like this. I go to the forum and wine that my car wont start. Tony gets in his car and drives the 30 miles from his place to my house in Alhambra. He takes all of 30 seconds to discover that a small wire on the coil fell off. He then tells me to stop driving like a wild man and that wont happen... He will be missed. Side note he has been helping me for years work the the VA to address grievances... JJ

in 2005 I invited Tony to Concorso Italiano. At the time he thought that was crazy expensive so I told him not to worry about it. I covered everything. I arrive at his house in my 48,000 mile original 86 bertone. I am packed light for a weekend. Here comes Tony like Legally Blond with 4 small suitcases and 3 boxes of extra parts and a full tool kit just in case. It was a fun weekend of chasing Ferraris up PCH and flirting with the ladies.

Papa Tony was an ever-present member of this forum for as long as I have been involved. His charm and wit will be surly missed. He played a big role in making this web site the joy it is.
A sad day, but keep Tony alive in our thoughts.
R.I.P buddy...

I am deeply saddened. What a huge loss. Tony was an integral part of this forum and the community for more than 2 decades. Sadly, we only met once but there were many exchanges over the years. His kindness and enthusiasm even in the face of adversity were beyond compare. I couldn't find a photo of us together, but here he is instructing my daughter (now in college) on the finer points of enjoying camping at Mirafiori/Oregon '03. We have fond memories of our time together.

Rest easy Papa Tony.

papatony.jpg

Word's are literally escaping me right now. It seems like forever since I met up with Tony and the rest of the Cali gang. There was the epic meet&greet at his house. The dine and dash at an In&out as I was passing thru. The countless emails, texts and forum discussions. He was and always will be a fountain of knowledge for us and such a giving and kind soul. I was really hoping to meet up with him at the end of the month as I'll be in Brea for 10 days.

Rest easy my friend.

From Papa Tony's Daughter--I want to thank you all for your kind thoughts and warm wishes. My father loved you all, and you were his extended family. The X1/9 will carry on in the family...

Noelle
Thank you and our thoughts are with you and your family. All the best and we will all be happy to assist in any way we can, sadly from long distance for the majority of us.

Karl

Back