Transmission overhaul, 5 speed

100/1000th? If that’s not a reason to use the metric system, I don’t know what is. haha.

I once saw a drillbit that was 193/256th of an inch. uhh.

Well yeah... using fractions annoys me but that's the world machinists live in. If I had said I want it 2.5 mms the machinist would have given me a funny look.

As a kid and rummaging in my Dad's toolbox for wrenches it just didn't seem logical that a 1/2" wrench was larger than a 7/16ths. Bigger numbers should be a bigger wrench right?

One Hundred Thousandths vs 100/1000ths. Voice to text did the work. Kinda surprised me that was what it produced.

Update:

So far so good. I have driven the car twice and the new synchros are "crunch free". The shifting is stiffer going into third and fourth, but I expect this will loosen up once things are broken in. I'll try to post another update once I have a few thousand miles on the transmission.

The 3rd and 4th synchros are from Eurosport. The slider is from Spider Roadster and third gear is from MB. Other misc parts (gaskets, seals, reverse gear, first gear, etc.) are from these three suppliers as well.

Thanks. I asked because given the apparent difficulty in finding quality transmission parts, it is good to know if a particular source carries a proven part. For example so far it sounds like the Eurosport syncros are working well. In that respect, please keep us informed how things continue to work out. Sorry if this is using your experience as the "test subject", but it will benefit the rest of us.

Back