trike handeling Elio

jvandyke

True Classic
I'm smitten with this thing (got one reserved).
Just curious for some feedback on how such an animal will handle. It'll be "under powered" (we're used to that) at about 55-60hp, but weight about 1400lbs. inverted trike, front wheel drive. I'd image that rear would swing around in a very amusing way, no? Just curious what you smart guys think. I like for the 84mpg, simplicity and low price tag. If it ever makes it to market (which I know is a long shot).
http://www.eliomotors.com

The saving grace on the Elio

may be that is more like a Morgan Trike than like the Can Am. It has a sitting position and a steering wheel, not a motorcycle stance and handlebars. I get the impression that the Can Am is like a big riding lawnmower-which probably isn't the very last word in handling dynamics:wink2: On the other hand a Morgan Trike can really cook it if you have the nerve..

I like the look of the Elio a lot. Wonder who their intended market is?

They just did promos in portland a few weeks ago I thought. Intended customer: every american? All American made, $6,800, 84mpg. Sorta fun to drive I would think.

Must have missed them...

Knowing Portland drivers as I now do I wouldn't risk myself in it:shock:
Among the worst drivers in the country-42nd out of 50 states I think in safe driving:help::help:

Yes, I think that's what they're saying. 5 star crash test rating "anticipated", they haven't built one yet, so no crash tests. Just a couple mules driving around with Metro engines! The production powerplant is all new design.
http://www.eliomotors.com
click the photo menu and there's cute little videos and stuff

It really is...

pretty darn cute. If I was 40 years younger I would be signed up for one. The only kit car I have ever seriously considered getting was a Morgan Trike clone, so the very concept really appeals to me. Wonder if they are contemplating a two seat version like the Morgan?

Surprisingly there is lots of interest and reservations from the older set. It is a two seater! Tandem, passenger behind driver.

For that price I'd totally buy one. For me commuting back and forth to work at night... 31 miles each way... neato!

If they actually make it to market, and they hit even close to their numbers (mileage and cost) the waiting list will be insane.

yep, it will be huge if they make it. That's the big question, will the car, let alone the company ever see the light of day. Tesla did it, so it's possible. Supposedly the mileage calculator is based on the design parameters so it's feasible. Even if they only get to 60mpg, that's still huge, especially on a "cheap" safe commuter. I think it'd be fun to turbo or super charge the thing, tweak it and play, mostly though I just want a good cheap fun super high gas mileage car.....ta da!

Oh, I didn't twig...

the tandem seating thing. Actually Portland would be a good market-not that much freeway driving really required if you live in close to city center; street parking is tight so the size would be a great asset; lots of single people and students. There are lot of pint sized cars up here-Smart, Scion iQ, loads of fiat 500-so the small car thing has some cache about it. And the speed limits on the surface streets and even the urban parts of the freeways are very low and generally adhered to; point being that any shunts would likely be pretty mild.
I would think price point is going to be everything just because of the cars listed above-why would anyone choose the Elio is it started costing as much as a 500? But at half the price it makes some sense.
It's true about the 'older set'-most of the 500s I see are not driven by youngsters at all:wink2:

it's not really that small though, wheelbase is similar to most cars, track isn't that different either, it's just the body width is slimmed down for tandem seating.
elio-CTSsmaller1.jpg

I'll be darned!

It sure looked small in the videos-guess most of those were taken from the front though, so the taper back to the rear really shows.

I know, I was surprised by that photo. I think it should be smaller! They will supposedly supply a hitch option so you could pull a little cargo trailer, that would really make it a long distance option too. I can see me taking it across the state to pick my daughter up from U of M and take her laundry back and forth!!!
GO BLUE!!

Well, I wish them a world luck...

a $7000 urban runabout that a bunch of people might buy makes more sense to me than a $85,000 Tesla-but then I am a cheap so-and-so.

I will bet that he makes it to market

In my previous job, I was doing the technical development for a vehicle project in San Diego (safety systems). Can't say anything about this project due to NDA.

Elio left the project with his partners and pursued this concept. Significantly fewer regulatory issues with a motorcycle classification.

Also, did some consulting with Meyer motors down in Ohio. He does have similar vehicles on the road.

Unfortunately with all of this startups, their business case is predicated on swinging at the DOE government piñata looking for a piece of $25B. Very heavily subsidized and depend on the dole.

With the CO2 carbon communists out there, you will see many more of these ventures extorting money from the larger OEM's to share in the carbon credit redistribution system.

Electric vehicle unicorns sales will be very stressed with the current low gasoline prices.

I laugh at the 5 star crash rating....the probably should say the airbags are there to insure your organs don't get damage during a crash for greater transplant success.

Vehicle mass always wins!

Will

well, I look at it like a very safe comfortable motorcycle that gets good mpg

Last edited:
Safe?

I don't think there is such a thing as a safe motor cycle...but they are fun.

I give Elio a 99% chance of making it to market.

Will

Back