trike handeling Elio

agreed, as safe as motorcycles can get, this is an extremely safe one (and not too terrible bad as a car either, at least compared to all cars from decades back)
99% of making to market, really? I actually bought in (very modestly) and I'm only thinking about 60% of making it!

I really hope it does and it's a "decent" car.

a $7000 urban runabout that a bunch of people might buy makes more sense to me than a $85,000 Tesla-but then I am a cheap so-and-so.

If they can stay close to their price goal I think it would be crazy successful. I have a few co-workers that have purchased 'scooters' to drive to work and back. Mainly because they didn't want a full on motorcycle with it's manual transmission, etc. I think the Elio would kill the expensive scooters on the market like the Suzuki Burgman and the Piaggio MP3.

99.9%

I believe Elio, hari iher and bob Gillespie will succeed in bringing this to market.

Motorcycles have a much easier regulatory hurdle than 4 wheelers.

Will

good, I hope they make it
scooters: wow, I had now idea those higher end scooters were 5K-11K, that's insane.

good, I hope they make it
scooters: wow, I had now idea those higher end scooters were 5K-11K, that's insane.

Agreed, when the Piaggio MP3 first became available someone in my office bought a MP3 500... It was freaky cool and I was totally intrigued, and I was simply blown away at the cost. I figured it was a 'slightly over 4000' machine. Man was I naïve. :eyepop:
And for the price they want for the largest Burgman, I'd expect it to have voice controls, proximity starting, and all sorts of 'Batman like' gadgets and capabilities.

Yes, A/C is standard. Heat, power windows, manual gearbox or auto as an option upgrade, rear trunk hatch on production model, accommodation to have a hitch installed to pull a little cargo trailer (not much storage otherwise). Stereo. Not sure if they'll do cruise control or not. Production model will have skinner front tires, fenders will be fuller, more skirted, front suspension bits also covered, headlights integrated into front body work. What's featured in the website and being driven around the country as a promo is test mule only, powered by a 1990 Geo Metro engine. It seems it will change quite a bit. A pre-production model is due out early next year (I still find it hard to believe they can tool up and start crank'n em out by this time next year!).

Pretty full package...

Are they building them here? On the face of it seems impossible to get all that into a $7000 envelope.-but maybe that trick is the real innovation.:wink2:

Yes, they bought an old GM plant in Shreveport, with all the tooling (technically they are still in the "buying" phase but it's pretty well in hand they say).
US produced, they are making their own engine too.

Thought it was going to be...

some version of a bike engine, but looks like a pretty conventional setup.
You know I think where a venture like this could really go haywire is if it doesn't pay enough attention to fit and finish and materials-like it or not Apple has spoiled a whole generation or two on the product quality front.. Also, if they try to shortcut it and use their early adopter buyers asbeta testers for them. More than anything that is what would deter me from the purchase if I were buying. I mean you look at the fit and finish and the Toyota reliability on the iQ and sort of wonder how anything approaching it can be made and sold at a profit for $7000. I hope it can be.:)

Let's Go Elio!!!

I don't usually check the NFC forum, so am late chiming in here, but I have the all-in reservation with a number, so I'll get one of the first ones (reservation #1209). Still a risk they make it to market, but if they get close to the numbers they are targeting, this thing is going to be a crazy game changer.
Can Am Spyder? All the downsides to a motorcycle (helmet and full gear required, no weather protection, extremely limited luggage space, etc.) with none of the benefits (can't lean in corners, etc)
Elio on the other hand: low income - no problem, $6800, it's the cheapest car you can buy, and the most fuel efficient. Good for students, etc
Long commuter (like me) - no problem, 84mpg!! (That's 1/2again better than the motorcycle I commute on for fuel economy!)
Need something light to tow behind a motor home, and on a fixed income? Elio again!

And I really like the pitches they are making... All US made, not outsourced to China. Save the planet by using this as your commuter. The $6800 price tag means you don't have to sell your SUV so you can still take the kids to soccer practice and pull the boat to the lake. But for 90% of your driving use the Elio's 84mpg and reduce dependence on foreign oil, while saving your wallet at the same time.

I really thing they have a winning formula if they can make it to production anywhere close to the number targets :)

Concur across the board. I'm "all in" but only at $100 so I'm getting pushed to the end of an ever increasing line but that's okay. I was a little dubious for a while but gaining confidence daily. I doubt we'll see any cars until 2015 though, hope I'm wrong.
My old motorcycle struggles to get 45mpg (though I don't ride it for economy).
So, how do you think a inverted trike will handle?
I think with a little cargo trailer it will be viable 80% of the time for me. I've been running back and forth across the state to cart my kids to and from college. I'd think it'd be perfect for that. Although conversations with passengers behind you might be a bit odd.
http://elio3wheel.com/vb/forum.php

Another Elio fan site

I've been following online here:
http://www.elioclub.org

I think the reverse trike handling won't be that much different then other front wheel drive cars, unless really pushed to the edge, which doesn't match the stock config of the Elio. The rear wheel is only a trailing wheel, no steering or power going there, so it'll just follow wherever the front is pointed. Car should be kinda front heavy, but since that's where all traction and direction changing will be channeled I don't think it matters much. Can't exactly lift an inside rear wheel in a tight corner like you can on some cars tracking hard. On the other hand, in inclement weather having everything go to the front wheels and having most of the weight over the front axle should make for decent drivability.

Back