VIck's FI intake kit

JimD

Waiting for Godot...
I am posting this simply because I brought the topic up in this "Air Flow Meter Hose" thread in the WF. I figured I would give this item its own thread.
---------------------------------------------------------------

I dug out the Vick's FI intake kit I purchased from them probably 8 or 9 years ago when they were initially offered. Today I did a test fit on my 85X. I bought this kit for my 1500 FI swap for my 78X which I never completed. I don't know how this compares to the kit they currently sell, but I am sure they are very similar.

In short, this Vick's kit definitely fits.... with a little effort. I don't see why it would not work, but I didn't complete the install to be 100% positive. I stopped because there are a few tweaks that need to be made to the provided tubing and I wasn't in the mood to break out enough tools to git'er done.

Here are some pictures:

First is a shot of what you get. There are plenty of clamps and each critical fit hose section is longer than necessary allowing you to adjust as needed. (I stuck a crusty spare AFM in there to show how it goes together.) The cone filter is really big! :)
IMG_2028.JPG

Here it is placed in to where it would live. I don't have the hose section on that joins the intake to the log, the section needs to be trimmed a little shorter to make it fit properly. You can see that the curve of the pipe is correct and lines up with the log really well.

IMG_2025.JPG

This picture compares the bottom of each intake hose. They are not identical, but everything will mate up with some adjustments. I think the biggest difference is that the Aux and crankcase openings on the stock tube are "female", where on those items are "male" pipes on the Vick's unit. So some adjustments will need to be made for fitment.
IMG_2027.JPG

You can see in these 2 pictures that most of the adjustments needed will be made to the AUX air connection and the crankcase breather connection. The "male" pipes on the bottom of the Vick's unit are a bit too long to work with the stock connections. It is better for those connectors to be too long than too short, so the length can be trimmed as needed. Vick's provided a generous amount of the hose used in these connections, so I have no worries about getting it connected when I finally install it on the 78.
IMG_2024.JPG

IMG_2026.JPG

So with some hose and pipe trimming, this unit will go together nicely and look pretty good as well.

It looks like a nice kit. I like the large air filter. There are other aftermarket filter kits for the X (with a "K&N" style cone) that are really small and connect directly to the AFM. I don't care for those (have one that came on a X when I got it). And I'm guessing with this one the 90 degree bend that attaches the filter to the AFM will allow you to aim the filter down toward the fresh(ish) air from the side scoop.

I think this kit is a good replacement option for the stock rubber air hose.

Jim's pics also demonstrate how the diameter the X's AFM is a little smaller relative to the intake on the manifold.

Nice show and tell of the parts along with what a prospective buyer has ahead of them.

It looks to be a nice bit of kit which will look very nice indeed. A nice alternative to a grody rubber hose that is no longer serviceable.

Nice product from Vick Auto.

As folks buy stuff which is not OE, it would be wonderful to see exactly what is received and even better if they could also go through the install with us.

Thanks for doing this Jim.

The air filter for my turbo set up is shoved down towards the side air intake as it appears in the Vic Auto set up. A good spot for cold air feed, but not so good for avoiding for road crap being thrown up from the wheels. Mine gets surprisingly dirty after a short while, but that may not be helped as here in the UK its the nearside of the road and so usually dirtier that the middle

There are other aftermarket filter kits for the X (with a "K&N" style cone) that are really small and connect directly to the AFM. I don't care for those (have one that came on a X when I got it).

Dr Jeff,

Did your X arrive with a K&N plus after market tubing installed? I have never noticed another kit for sale. My 85 had a cylindrical K&N on the AFM when I bought it, but everything else was stock.
FI air filter 1.JPG
The filter was dirty and ugly, so I replaced it with a cone. My only concern with this set up is "What if it rains?", but I have never noticed an issue the few times I have actually been caught out in rain.
FI air filter 3.JPG FI air filter 2.JPG

Just for comparison, here is the K&N from the Vicks kit laying loose next to the small K&N I used. There is no model number on the Vick's included filter.
IMG_2029.JPG

Back