W: Imperfect Parts Donations Welcome.

Thanks for the reassurance:)

Thanks for that.
It's kind of hard to explain, I'm having a bit of a hard time figuring out like "how to act".
I mean, knowing how to work on computers, it's fairly easy for me to fit in to computer or gaming related communities. And honestly, some of my quirks, and odd hours, and things like, being able to understand more about fixing computers than how to respond to normal social situations and such were so common in those kinds of communities that they weren't even unusual, much less strange.
In other words, I was somewhat "normal" in those sorts of communities by default and knowing a lot about fixing computers meant I had something valuable to contribute to the community right off the bat.
Here, well, I'm not exactly even sure how to be "normal" here or how I compare to whatever that baseline might be.
So what you said is really helpful. It helps give me a reference point from the perspective of a current community member.
Thank you very much:)
Eventually I'll get more comfortable and won't feel so out of place or like such an oddball and this will get easier, it'll just take me some time to adjust.
Or I guess I should say, *hopefully*. lol
I suppose it might turn out that I'm just stuck being an oddball.
Of course, maybe there's even a place for that in the community. Like maybe I could still be the goofy/dorky comedy sidekick or something.
Hey, I could live with that. Making people laugh is a valuable skill because so many people need a laugh now and then. So if I'm dorky enough to make people laugh without even trying, heck, I'd be doing something valuable just by being here:p
I'll go over the other list and remove what's already been posted here, then go ahead and post it with a bit of a disclaimer or something so I don't feel like I'm being some sort of gold-digger or something.
Take care and Happy Easter:)

Extended parts "Wish List"

This is the rest of parts list I'd original been compiling.
So yeah, this stuff is more of a "wish list" rather than a "necessities list".
It's basically everything else that I've seen so far that the car will eventually need, or need replaced.
That means there's also some stuff on here like a Windshield and doors, that might cost so much to ship that I might not be able to afford getting them right now even if somebody were to offer them to me for free.
Anyway, I think this is everything, in no particular order:)

Fiat X1/9 parts "Wish List."

Some MTL for the trans. (haha, MTL is somewhat optional, but it's a *WISH list, right? :p )

Windshield and windshield frame/surround (lower frame to body area pretty rusted, flex do to same might be why the original windshield cracked).

Rear window (with heater strips). -->> (this may already be taken car of if shipping doesn't turn out to be too difficult and/or expensive, not sure if it has the heat strips)

Older seats? (heard these work better for tall guys)

Lower black seat covers? (might be able to repair current ones)

Dash side air vent holders? (have the vents, but nothing to hold them in the dash)

Doors. (rotted along lower edges, bottom of drivers door a bit dented/crunched as well. might be repairable)

Cooler wheels? (yeah I wish. lol. would be nice to move up to 14" or 15" since good but still cheap 13s are apparently getting somewhat rare)

Better tires. (current 165r13 tires hold air but have cracked up and lumpy/bumpy treads)
Used Tires?
185/60-13 preferred/recommended on the FIAT X1/9 Performance page: http://web.archive.org/web/20130214044204/http://www.x19performance.com/page5.php
or if those cannot be obtained: 165/70-13 or possibly 175/70-13
rims are all 13"x5"

Driver's Side Seat Belt.

All lower engine shroud panels (missing from my car)

Lower half (of) Timing belt cover (I only have the upper half)

cover for ignition module - passenger side

Coolant reservoir Cap.

Rubber Hoses for brake/clutch reservoirs? (ancient but not leaking yet)

Fuel filters, pre and post.

Passenger door window handle thingy. (what does one call the thing your roll up the window with? lol)

One Targa top rear retainer thingy. (one of the two has worn down or something. the tang is still there but doesn't slide in far enough to hold the top down.)

Lots of little pieces parts screws fuses etc not cataloged yet.
**Tpatcher sent me a baggy of fuses, thanks sir! should be good on those for a while:D

Right Front Fender. (wheel well partially eaten through)

Left Front Fender. (front area dented up a bit, but probably repairable.

"kick panels". (pretty much all kicked through. Rust goblins were hungry and nibbled away at most of the lower bodywork.)

Drivers side floor pan. (not extremely bad, but has a couple of holes. and will eventually need to be either repaired or replaced.)

Headlight motor covers. (both MIA)

Fuel Vapor Separators. (both MIA)

Bondo. Lots of bondo... (it'll have to do till I can get real metal to replace it.)

Various bits of weatherstripping. (excessive weatherstripping shrinkage has left many gaps.)

Front hood. (rusted through in a couple of places on the leading edge)

78ish style Engine Cover and plastic vents that go on each side of the cover. (purely a vanity item. my car has an engine cover, but I prefer the look of the engine cover like the one on a 78.

Old style split "Bumperlettes" to replace offensive 1980 things. (Haha, I actually looked a bit for these a while back and it appeared they are rarer than gold. Maybe I should call them "Unobtainium Bumpers")
I was actually sort of thinking that I might be able to like, use some scrap metal to weld into something that looked somewhat like them, and spray tha mutha's black.

Not sure if these are necessary, haven't finished all the work required before testing/retesting:

Fuel Pump? (original cleaned out, re-ringed and works for now but a spare might be a good idea)

Starter? (clicks more than turns, but not yet dropped cleaned and retested)

Injectors? (still untested, currently car has only been run by putting gas and/or cold start fluid in the intake)

Cold Start injector? (may work, but plastic nipple tip is broken off. Will test injector itself after next round of engine tests.)

Vacuum retard/advance? (might be leaking)

1500cc Fuel Injection Head? (Current head is from a carb model, but that may work out okay. Won't know until engine is further tested)

Last edited:
I wasn't too detail oriented when I packed it.

There's a radiator hose, but now I can't remember which one :confuse2:. There's a bunch of lenses for turn signals and running lights too. You should wait to order. This box may be there Monday or Tuesday. Kansas isn't too far from Indiana.

Was just in the process of posting to say not to worry about it.

Had just decided it'd be easier to just delete what I wrote and do it via PM, and then saw you'd just posted.
Anyway, was just going to say that I won't be doing my order before your box's arrival anyway, so it was moot.
Didn't read what all you said in your post because I'm already back to not needing/wanting to spoil any of the surprise. Caught something about a radiator hose and that I should wait to order then closed the window before I could see/hear anything else. lol
Nothing spoiled, just slightly tasted in advance:p
Anyway, yeah, the pharmacy switched me from one generic med to another and i'm not adjusting to the change very well yet.
So I haven't been able to get anything done:p
Order postponed for at least a week, maybe a bit more since it might need to fall within some particular pay period or other.
Basically, no huge hurry for a bit.
Anyway, take care and Happy Easter!
:D

Found a semi-local xweb member:)

Got a message PM today and it turns out there's a FIAT guy here in Kansas and only about 40 miles away:D
Turns out his name is Chris, and HEY! That's MY name!
:p
Anyway, talked to him on the phone and he seems like a really nice guy:)
He's got some pieces to donate to my little project, and after I get er running and am not having to concentrate only on the necessities, he's got some body panels and such, and maybe a windshield that I could look into buying and he could work with me a bit on price/payment.
So, *finally* a semi-local source for some of the big/heavy stuff that's more of a headache/expense to have shipped.
And as a bonus, since he's a forum member, so when I get to the point where I can buy some stuff from him, that'll be some money going back into the community, rather than to some online company or random ebay sellers.
Of course I appreciate that online companies (and non-member ebayers) need income to survive, but they will still be getting money from me now and then too:p
It's just that I want to put as much back into this community who has already done so much to help me with my little project as I can:)
Besides, and since the bigger and stronger the FIAT community is, the more customers online FIAT parts suppliers will have by proxy anyway.
Not sure exactly what parts he'll be donating/covering yet, he's invited me up to look over his parts bins to see what he has that I might need next weekend.
Ah! One thing he did say for sure he had for me was a steel brake line to replace the right rear one. Can't actually remember if that was to be a free, or low cost item, but either way it's all good:)

parts

I read your long thread on your personal battle with your affliction and applaud your determination and will to overcome! remember your x will be as frustrating as therapeutic. when the steam starts coming out of your ears and you forget what or why am I doing this ..take a break and sit in a chair , relax and just look at the car and envision what it will be finished. see the big picture so to speak. take notes of all you see that needs to be done, or (I've done this) use a voice activated recorder to help remember what you have done and might see that needs tending to.
back to your needs
I have two rear rubber hoses if you need them still, and if you send me the two pieces of the rear metal line that was cut I will fabricate a new one for you.
let me know what you are still in need of and I will see what I have.
mikemo90*aol.com

Exhaust bracket and springs

Driver's side exhaust support bracket and springs. Bracket on my car rusted through and fell off. have one spring that appears like it would work, but I think I read that it needs 3. I could probably build something to replace the bracket when the time comes to drive the car, so this might not be absolutely necessary.

Chris, do you still need these bits? I might have them in less than perfect condition. I'll have a dig through my parts boxes tonight.

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks for the suggestions:)

I appreciate the ideas, as well as the moral support:)
Hadn't thought of things like the voice-activated recorder, and not sure if that's something that would work for me yet, but ya never know, maybe after that idea kicks around in my head a bit, I might be able to do that or something similar.
Taking notes tends to be only marginally successful for me for various reasons. Mainly I just tend to forget I've taken notes in the first place.
I'm not rejecting the concept or anything, just trying to save you an hour of reading all of the efforts/failures I've had in that area so far:p (When re-reading this, it doesn't seem to sound the way I meant it. I just meant that I thought instead of my usual tenancy to *over-explain* to the point of producing a useless wall of text nobody can read, including me, I should try for once to save wear and tear on the eyes of the reader, and just say "various reasons" rather than attempting to list them all. If I sounded harsh or unappreciative, that was far from the case.)
If you have ideas of ways to remember that you've written things down that you wanted to remember, feel free to pass them on. There's always a chance that others could come up with something that would work that I haven't tried, or that might work *now* that hasn't worked in the past:)
Of course, if you know anybody who is having some problems that might be able to somehow benefit from my personal experiences at being somewhat of a "broken person" and trying to fix myself as much as possible, well I certainly wouldn't mind talking with them if it would help. Of course, that goes for any community member as well. As it seems logical that if I ended up here, it's not impossible that someone with some similar difficulties might end up here as well.
Anyway, back to fiat stuffs. lol
Brake hoses! :D
If you'd like to contribute your rear brake hoses to my little project, that'd be great:) Do you want me to send you my mailing info?
The offer to fabricate a new steel line is pretty darned awesome as well:D
But the forum member from Wichita said he had one that he'd pulled from a car, so I wouldn't want you to go through the work unnecessarily.
I'll be going up there to meet him this weekend, so I should know more after that.
Either way, I certainly appreciate the offer, I just don't want to take anything unless I need it.
I guess since I haven't been able to pressurize the system yet, it may turn out that I need others as well, so it may still turn out that I'll need to take you up your offer in the future afterall;)
Currently I can't get anything whatsoever done on the car, because every time I head out my back door I see an early 90's Caprice up on ramps, and I'm suddenly reminded that I need to try to fix that car for the family, and *poof* I suddenly don't know where to start or what to do, on fiats or otherwise.
So I'm somewhat stuck until I can get past that mental block/glitch somehow.
I guess it's sort of like "I'll get right on that when the weather clears up." but in my case it's "I'll get right on that when my brain clears up."
Same result, project stuck on hold by something out of anyone's direct control, just for a less common reason:p
Again, thank you for your suggestions, support, and understanding:)

Last edited:
Yup, I could still use those:D

Thanks Rob:)
Yes, I could still use those, and "less than perfect condition" is perfectly acceptable to me:D
Honestly, it's easier to accept things if they are somewhat imperfect, as I cannot really put anything *in* to the community yet.
Don't know if that makes much sense or not.
Anyway, let me know if/when you want me to send you my mailing info.
:)

Someone was recently looking for a clutch reservoir?

**update: He's contacted me already, so this can be disregarded:)
I recently saw a post where someone was in need of a clutch reservoir, but now I can't seem to find it.
Tpatcher's wonderful surprise box contained an extra one that I won't be needing, so if anyone knows who it was that was in need, I'd like to pass this one on to them if they still need it.
My car is a 1980 and it had a large brake reservoir and a small one for the clutch.
The one I have extra is sort of "medium sized" in comparison.
I don't have the mounting bracket for this size, so if that's not the size being replaced, then it might not be that useful.
Anyway, just thought I'd offer it if the person could be found and still needed it.

Last edited:
I recently saw a post where someone was in need of a clutch reservoir, but now I can't seem to find it.
Tpatcher's wonderful surprise box contained an extra one that I won't be needing, so if anyone knows who it was that was in need, I'd like to pass this one on to them if they still need it.
My car is a 1980 and it had a large brake reservoir and a small one for the clutch.
The one I have extra is sort of "medium sized" in comparison.
I don't have the mounting bracket for this size, so if that's not the size being replaced, then it might not be that useful.
Anyway, just thought I'd offer it if the person could be found and still needed it.

Just PMed you....

Right Rear amber/orange turn signal - for donation

Another part available due to Tpatcher's parts donation.
I have a right rear amber/orange turn signal lens available after installing the red ones he sent.
The right lens looks like it is in good shape, except for a very small crack on the right edge. Gasket in tact as well, although the the drainage gap is maybe a quarter inch or so wider than it should be, probably due to mild rubber shrinkage.
The left one was in pretty bad shape with several cracks and the corner broken off so I doubt anybody would want it, but I can pass it on if somebody needs something to get them by. (Gasket on the left lens is also in bad shape)
Again, this part was made available due to a parts *donation*, so it is *free* if someone needs it.
Here's a pic, including the damaged lens.
(Lens was just removed and hasn't been cleaned up/washed or anything, and looks better in person than in this picture. I didn't have a new one to compare it to, but it didn't look "clouded" to me. No reference as to fading.)
Amber_lenses.jpg

Yes indeedy:)

Totally agree:)

Sent you another PM.
I saw no visible defects, but if there's an easy way I can pre-test it for you to be sure, let me know.

I have both brackets and springs

You can have them all. They will definitely need restoration.

PM me.

Cheers,

Rob

I will be at the Barn O Fiats this saturday, ill grab it and box it up and see if ups or regular mail will be cheaper to send. so ill need your address please.

stuff

by all means email me your address and the hoses are on the way!! the reason I would need the old line besides getting the correct bends are the fittings. most safety devices especially hydraulics are a different pitch(threads) so you can't substitute something that would not perform to safety standards. it doesn't matter how fast it is if you can't stop it.
I mentioned the recorder because soooo many times I have been under the dash, deep in the engine comp or using both hands. I see something, and make a mental note to fix it after I finish the job at hand only to have a brain fart and for the life of me I can't remember what it was. any way you are a fiat lover so your not "broken" just a little bent:nod:.
side note what's wrong with the caprice?? may I can help from afar. besides being a fiat freak i'm a gm psycho too:dunce: !!
mikemo90*aol.com

:D

Ya made me smile sir:) Laughter is always the best medicine;)
(Apologies that this ended up being somewhat of a loooong post since I tried to address all the subjects as well as including info about the Caprice problem.)
I totally understand the need of the original part(s) when fabricating and would have no problems sending the original pieces if necessary.
Also I already gave up any thoughts of attempting to repair or even fabricate a new line myself. I'd need to come up with the proper tools and learn the skills, and sometimes ya just gotta say: "This would be better left in the hands of those who already know what they are doing."
I just figured that if the person I'm meeting this weekend already has a good used line, then there wouldn't be a need for you to do the fabrication work to build that line, and you are already giving me something:)
Of course, like I said, once I can pressurize the system, it may very well turn out that I may need some other lines, so don't worry, if you really want to work, I may still have a job for ya. lol
About the recorder, I actually think that's a pretty cool idea:D
I attempted to do a little mental "visualization" in an attempt to see how well my mind might accept it.
I've found that the easier it is to *imagine* going through a situation, and/or doing various things, the less likely I will have problems with the same things in reality.
For example, that's how I *knew* I wasn't ready to try driving again for many years. Because I would try to imagine going out, getting into the car (this happened to be the same Caprice mentioned before) and then driving it somewhere.
Well, I could imagine getting in, sitting down, putting on the seatbelt, looking forward out the windshield, then *boom!* strong feeling panic/fear/confusion, brain lock-up/seizure *splat*.
So yeah, definitely *not* ready to drive if I couldn't even handle trying to *imagine* starting the car and getting out of the driveway.
Over time it got a bit better, but not a lot. It wasn't until one day when I happened to be thinking about how much different I had been years ago when I was very much an outside person that enjoyed things like going places, driving around in the sun with the top down that it dawned on me that I was *not* having any problems thinking about what it was like zooming around with the top down, which I used to do all the time in my FIATs.
Tried imagining getting into a *FIAT* and driving it, and... Surprisingly little problems. No Game braking crashes.
Still wasn't something I was likely able to just up and do in reality, *but* I knew that it was *theoretically possible* since, for whatever reason, my brain wasn't having a crash/panic response when a fiat was used in the equation rather than the caprice.
(Ahem, maybe I should mention that while I have done a fair amount of brain research, a lot of that kind of stuff is still basically voodoo and I only know how to work with, or around, with what happens without actually understand much of the *why* that's behind it.)
That was several years ago and plenty of stuff had to be done/fixed in between then and now, but that's what started me in the direction that eventually led me here and I still use the same sort of visualization/imagination technique as a tool to help give me an idea of how well my brain naturally responds to things.
A side bonus to being able to work towards going through everything involved to be able to actually drive a FIAT ended up helping fix some of my mental limitations with some other cars as well, so I can drive cars like the Caprice in low pressure situations (like the middle of the night when there's little or no traffic/distractions), although it's fairly uncomfortable and I have some glitches like I keep finding my hand grasping thin air, trying to grab the shift nob that isn't there on a car with an automatic. I do better in cars with a stick-shift because my "mental habits" match up with the controls better, so I don't have to slow down or consciously *think* about how to do things to compensate.
Back to the recorder, as soon as I tried to visualize/imagine using a voice activated recorder I got a quick mental image of being out there in the dark (I work a lot at night) working and talking to the recorder then flash vanishes and I get a mental picture of a little recorder sitting on top of a chest of drawers. Which is actually the last place I remember seeing the little recorder we have and the only place I can imagine it being.
Unfortunately, that memory of where the recorder *was* is from like, years ago. House is totally rearranged since then, and no idea where to even start looking for that sucker.
So the first step is finding the recorder so that I can get past that point where I'm stuck mentally.
You asked about the problem with the Caprice, well, I'll go ahead and explain, but the biggest problem is being somewhat mentally stuck in a similar way as with the recorder.
Of course, you never know, sometimes the biggest help I can get when I'm stuck is if somebody happens to say something that ends up sort of getting me around a given mental block/barrier/glitch. So it's certainly worth a try:)
The overall situation is somewhat embarrassing and the result of a bit of a chain of stupidity on my part. There's is definitely some ignorance and hindsight involved.
The Caprice is suffering from low oil pressure. Possibly *no* oil pressure, but it's hard to tell since it doesn't have a real gauge. It just has the basic "idiot light" where low and no just result in the same red light turning on.
What happened was that I'd driven the caprice to the store in the middle of the night to pick up something for the FIAT and pick up a quart of ATF since the Caprice was a bit low.
Got home, grabbed a funnel, and put in the tranny fluid.
So far so good, but here is where things started to go awry.
Went to put back the funnel and noticed a bottle of "magical mystery oil". One of several I was given from a garage that someone was cleaning out.
Well, the Caprice had been running a bit rough... Why not add a little bit of this stuff that my grandpa (Who had been an incredibly good professional mechanic) always swore by?
Says "add to gas or oil" etc on it...
So, of course I put some in the gas and oil.
Drove the car a bit to "kill two birds with one stone" by seeing if the tranny fluid had helped make the car shift a bit better, while simultaneously getting the MMO i'd added good and mixed into the gas and oil so it could get into the system and doooo it's magical stuff.
Figured it would actually be a slow process when/if it actually did anything useful, but having always seen that stuff in the shop as a kid I must admit I had a bit of a childish sense of excitement and was really kind of looking forward to and hoping to see something actually happen right away.
It does say "magical" right there on the bottle right? lol
As it turned out, I was just about home, something *did* happen. The oil light came on.
Uh oh! well, no panic. Somehow the oil dipstick had gotten lost a few years ago and then replaced by a dipstick that was too short, so the only way to know if it got too low was if you started getting an occasional flash from the oil light. It'd been unlit for so long since the last time it'd come on (just before the last oil change) that I'd actually become worried that the light itself had gone dead.
So pulled up to the workshop, found a quart of oil and added it.
Started car again, oil light stays on.
Shut 'er down quick, searched around, managed to find a second quart of oil, threw it in.
Car didn't want to crank. Car smelled "hot" (if that makes sense). Still not necessarily a reason to panic, as when this car used to be driven regularly on the highway it would sometimes overheat and not want to start till it cooled down a bit.
Got it started, oil light still stubbornly on, engine running a bit rougher than it's usual roughness. Didn't want to rev right (not that I'd go slamming down the pedal on a car with low/no oil pressure, just a few quick light blips to gauge response and verify that slightly higher rpm didn't bring the pressure up to kick off the light.), sounded a bit *funny* (non-specific funny). Shut er down...
At this point, the "mechanic part" of my brain finally sort of kicked in and became active.
Engine had been "a little rattly" but didn't really sound like rod knock starting. Some of the *funny* sound could potentially be the very beginnings of main bearing issues, but not enough to jump to that conclusion.
Went and pulled the dipstick. It showed a little low.
That meant it probably had about 2 quarts *too much* oil.
Ironic, considering I'd just added 2 quarts from assuming it was too low.
So I loped inside and did a search for "added magical mystery oil" "low oil pressure" and learned that it thins the oil/alters viscosity.
Also, that it's strength at breaking down/loosening up/dissolving junk built up inside cruddied up old badly maintained engines and such can be a problem if the stuff that got loosened up clogs the oil pump or filter.
So that's the whole background story of what happened with the car.
The engine could be somewhat toast due to bearing damage from low pressure, could have clogged pump pickup/filter, etc, or the combination of too much oil to the point where it's hitting the crank and too low oil viscosity could explain just about all the unusual symptoms as well.
I decided my best bet was to drain all the oil and change the filter. That seemed like the best and simplestway to eliminate the largest number of variables.
Got the car up on ramps, and that's basically where I got stuck.
Seems like the engine should be run at least a little bit to get the oil and junk warm and stirred up so it'll drain well and bring sludge with it. But especially now that the car is on ramps and the engine/pan is at an angle, the crank has to be drowning in oil at the rear, so it seems like "step 1" should be to siphon off two quarts of oil. then run it a little and finally drain/replace filter/refill.
I have a little vacuum pump and I also have a very long narrow hose I recently acquired with a (apparently completely useless) fuel siphon kit that had a spongy squeeze thingy (doesn't have a one-way valve so I couldn't figure out how to use it) that I could run down the dipstick tube.
So I go to get the hose and... *stuck*. Last place I remember seeing it was on a bench and it isn't there or anywhere in the area, so every time I go to work on the Caprice I get re-stuck not being able to figure out what to do until I find that hose thingy.
Same sort of thing with the little tape recorder. Got the mental image of where it *was* and my brain just can't get past/around that point unless I can find the item in order to eliminate the mental barrier/block.
Trying to get around something like that is sort of like trying to get a word out that's "right on the tip of your tongue" so you can finish a sentence. It can be somewhat maddening.
Anyway, I dunno. If you have any sort of comments, suggestions, or if you have some of that "psycho" part you mentioned available, maybe even just adding a bit of chaos might not hurt.

Back