WalMart sends this ALERT! 185/60RX13's on sale...

Glad to see you are still around Tony, miss your unique style of input here. :)

Hey Doc... thanks for the kind words.

I guess LIFE just keeps getting in my way a bit. Also... this format just doesn't solicit the reader or responses as it use to. I've mentioned this to the powers that be but it just may be a few of us that feel that way. I wish I could put my finger on it and say something simple like change the font... but all I can describe is the result.

Its also good to see I have some appreciative responses here as well. Federals aren't necessarily the best and have had a storied past, but at least they are available for a reasonable price.

I'm about to go out and play with Black Tooth a bit. Thanks again!

Tony,
I can relate to how "life keeps getting in my way", as you know I was completely away from Xweb for quite awhile. In fact it was still the previous format when I left. Therefore when I came back I discovered the new, current format. From my perspective I haven't found what you describe (so far) with this format, although I'm not 100% clear what it is that you don't feel good about it. I will say I find it harder than ever to do searches or refer back to older info from past discussions. Seems like maybe my searching only looks at the current version of the forum? But perhaps I'm not doing it right. Also the whole "PhotoBucket" fiasco has really screwed up most older posts. But that is a web wide issue, not just Xweb. Otherwise the new format seems good to me (again, so far).

One example you might help with Tony. I recall back when I was active here before we discussed the use of 'universal' weather-seal material for the X's doors, etc. Now that I need to replace those seals I'm looking for the specific references again. In those older threads were a few potential sources, specific model numbers of the seals, lengths required, etc. My search only came up with a very recent discussion that has one suggested eBay item. Do you happen to still have those old discussions saved somewhere for me to review?

In the Xweb 1.0 forum, under Best Of... this is about the OLDEST thread on the subject:

Start with this... as you can see its from 12 years ago and JCW doesn't make it easy to find anymore...

wol_error.gif
~ Return to 'Son Of Xweb' here ~
wol_error.gif

Return to > DF
WEATHERSTRIPPING
February 23 2005 at 11:45 AM
1136610530.JPG

Black Tooth, SoCal

Response to "Best Of Xweb" (aka Site Content FAQ) - contributions welcome
When all else fails... this is a damn good replacement:

JC Whitney and Company, online http://www.jcw.com Toll Free at 800-529-4486

WA819909N- for 17.99 for 13 1/2 feet. You will require two lengths to do the entire car, both doors and enough to use on the targa top also. I have used this seal personally, TWICE in 20 years... the first one lasted about 14...

For the trunks... I suggest WA132565N- with a small bulb on top of the mounting flange for 28.99 for a 25 foot roll, enough to do front and rear plus more!

WA812914N- is a "whisker-type", they call a "lip-bulb" mounted ACROSS the top of the mounting flange at a 45 degree angle. 32.99 for 25 feet.

Wayne Wright, writes... "I recently bought JCW part number 13-2562 for my 74'. I used this type on my 79' a few years back and was very satisfied. It has a less aggressive shape than the (others) $37.00. When first installed the door closed a little harder and it still has a firm sound when closing today."

RC Lawrason writes:

"I got the weatherstripping from a GM dealer who said this was a replacement part for the S10 doors. The package itself has "Replacement part on body opening" and part numbers - 106423 Windsor / CCC905-110 / HC07. The parts guy went by 905-110."

Advange of the bulb type is a better seal, but possibly a hard to close lid... the lip type, may not seal as well, and may need some bolstering underneath the mounting flange.

Of course, if the "sealing" is not really the issue and its just for looks, the lip type would be my choice.

This I found during a simple search:

DOOR MOLDING...
Discussion in 'Discussion Forum' started by Black-Tooth, Sep 13, 2012.

Tags: Add Tags
Unwatch Thread

1. Black-ToothTony Natoli
    Aqua Dulce, California. Home of Vasquez Rocks!
    or weatherstrip seal...

Just got this yesterday and installed it today... I'm very happy with the results.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/a-5/8andqu...dow-8/p3039068.jcwx?skuId=163412&&filterid=u0

Note... One 25 foot roll. You start at one end of the windshield and wrap it around and down and up and over the targa and up the other side in one continuous loop.

I don't use the "corner moldings" but they can be had from Ricardo Borja on this site if you want. I hardly ever run with the top on but this seals pretty darn good regardless.

This molding is smaller than the old Universal Trunk Molding that Whitney used to sell. I couldn't find it and found this instead... but it works much better. I had about 3 feet left over when done. Price plus tax and shipping was around $60.00.

Matt Brannon sells what looks to be about the same thing for ONE door for about the same money for this roll that does both...

http://www.midwest-bayless.com/stor...Detail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=208227&c=0&i=250926943

I'm not sure how close to original it is or what the differences are... He does have an original piece as well for one door for about 90 bucks...

Anyway... those are the choices I know of... and like I said, I'm very happy with the fit and appearance this seal provides. The doors also close easier as compared to the older, fatter, seal as well.

My best,

Tony

"Black-Tooth and me since 1983"

This message has been edited by Black-Tooth on Dec 1, 2005 9:26 AM

This is the seal I currently use with ONE long piece and love it. The link to JCW does not work and I find it difficult to find anything similar. SoftSeal is a company you might wanna look at, MWB is another.

As far as Xweb goes... as I said, I can't put my finger on it... but with the old way the thread and strings were usually OPEN and laid out in such a manner that you could see all that responded and I dunno, just seemed more inviting. Just sayin'... I have lost a lot of friendships over the years just by time I guess... that may be a harsh comment, what I mean is we have all kinda grown apart a bit. I know of one member that thought the X was too much of a kid's car, and another whose wife thought it was "below" their status.

Sometimes I actually feel the same... but when I get in mine I am just a punk kid again... HAHAHAHA! I also still can't tear my eyes off "him"... he's just simply gorgeous!

I just typed the word "weatherstripping" in the search box in the upper right-hand corner of this page and came up with bundles of ideas. Here's the link:

https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?search/432199/&q=weatherstripping&o=date&c[node]=4

Because everything is so "dated", yur gonna haveta do some searching. Do post any favorable results.

Great chatting with ya...

T.

Thanks Tony, guess I still need to figure out the tricks to better searching. Suppose I'm not a tech savvy as you (now that's a scary thought! :eek:). I'll look through the material you posted above and see if it has what I am looking for.

Regarding the forum, I will say that when I returned here (after being away for a few years) it felt different in terms of the member participation. Several of the old "regulars" are gone (miss them) and the overall quantity of activity seems much lower than before. Like you said, people come and go and things change in time. But after I started getting more involved here again I've found who the current active members are and I'm enjoying the interaction again. Especially when compared to other forums! While I was away from here I participated regularly in a couple of other forums and it was like day and night...they were horrible!

Are you planning to attend the "France and Italy" show this year? I never heard your story on the move to "the ranch", we'll have to get caught up.
Thanks again, Jeff

Yep... most forums are terrible in the way they treat each other. I must say the friendships I have had and still do are GENUINE and meaningful. I've physically have met and had many stay with us as well. GOLDEN times!

Yes, I'll be at BFI unless the Lord calls me home. I do have some "chores" to get to so I'll need to close. I'll fill ya in more some other time.

All my best,

T.

Well, I am glad Papa Tony brought this (the second topic of this thread) up. I thought that it was just me. But I have to say things seem awfully quiet here for many months now. Before the change any given thread would move off the front page within a couple of days unless it was a well discussed topic. Now the same boring thread lingers in the top four or five for a week or more. Definitely a lot less traffic on here now. Now it's like wailing into an empty room compared to a year or two ago.

Papa said it all when he says "Life gets in the way". I retired over a year ago and thought I would have more time for my cars, but just the opposite is true. I have been one of those whose time spent on Xweb has diminished over the last year or so. I guess us older guys spend less time on the keyboard and the younger guys more time in the garage. But one thing's for sure, this site keeps the X-1/9 heartbeat going!

Well, I am glad Papa Tony brought this (the second topic of this thread) up. I thought that it was just me. But I have to say things seem awfully quiet here for many months now. Before the change any given thread would move off the front page within a couple of days unless it was a well discussed topic. Now the same boring thread lingers in the top four or five for a week or more. Definitely a lot less traffic on here now. Now it's like wailing into an empty room compared to a year or two ago.

Hey Larry... I thought it was JUST ME! HA!

I've been speaking with one Mike Zwiac in Lake Tahoe who wants to resurrect the A/C system on his '79. (Why I thought of you, I dunno...) He is a bit slow getting around to things but I can think of no better resource than YOU! It'll give ya something to do during the off season. Hope you and yours are well.

Papa said it all when he says "Life gets in the way". I retired over a year ago and thought I would have more time for my cars, but just the opposite is true. I have been one of those whose time spent on Xweb has diminished over the last year or so. I guess us older guys spend less time on the keyboard and the younger guys more time in the garage. But one thing's for sure, this site keeps the X-1/9 heartbeat going!

Yep... and like a roll of toilet paper, the older it gets the faster it spins!

Back