Wanted: '80-82 EFI 1500 5 speed...

I just saw this posted...crossed my fingers and submitted an offer...

1981 X 1/9 silver over blue
That was quick!! I thought you were a patient man??? :) Good luck!

The interior looks pretty good , but that windshield rust and areas of primer low on the car. Hmmmm. Anyway, if you like the blue interior, you kinda have to leap when one comes up for sale as they are rare-ish. If it does indeed run and drive well, it is a good 1st X. Your next two will probably be even nicer. 😈 :cool:

My buddies and I scrapped this car's twin here in STL about 5 years ago. We paid $200 for the car, well, it was more of a mouse and ant hotel than a car at the time. It had air, but I don't recall if is had power windows. It was rough all over and very smelly. As I towed it down the highway my buddies called and said there were mice running around the trailer deck trying to figure out WTF was going on. 🐭🐭

Can't lie. The colors on this '81... awesome.

Blue interior, brown, black, caramel, even red interior...all really work with a silver exterior.

Car's a big gamble. If it's meant to be, it's meant to be.

Car needs some work but looks a good solid car...fingers crossed!

I couldn't help but chuckle when I clicked the link and saw the power windows.

Love the blue interior though.

Goodluck with offer @WantAnX1/9 !
I'd prefer no A/C and no power windows, but I can't be super choosy if it's not a total rust heap and everything miraculously still works after 40 years...but that colorway, though!

Huuuunnnnnnnnnmmmmm...

So, submitted an offer on the car. What would you all say is reasonable?

So, submitted an offer on the car. What would you all say is reasonable?
The silver/blue car on eBay? No idea without looking at it first.

I bought my car on eBay. $3600 IIRC. Flew from Phila to Chicago with the cash in hand, was ready to literally get back on the bus (took a bus ride from Midway directly South to where the car was being sold from, one of those eBay listing shops people used to have, it was right at a bus stop) and go back home if it was not as advertised. Lucky for me it was OK.

I'm with Jim and Dan. Hard to tell without seeing the car for real. The rust around the windshiled could mean rust underneath the windhield which involve a lot of work. But it also could be just a little surface rust, but even when seeing the car, it will be hard to tell without removing at least the windshield trim. But on the other side, it could take years before you need to adress the problem. Time to decide if you like the car enough to do that kind of job. Since I had to go thru that problem I could tell you that small rust patch maybe only the tip of the iceberg...

Interior seems nice except for the left of the driver seat, but that is to be expected from original seats cover on a 40 years old car. No picture of the driver side carpet. Maybe some holes in the carpet... The glovebox got a strange angle. Probably missing the left hinge, which is a commun problem. But at least, no crack in the dash.

Mileage is good. What is to be expected from a car driven on a regular basis in the summer.

Ask if suspension and brakes were done recently. Bill from a timing belt change? Brake and clutch master cylinder. They are a pity to change. The 175/70 tires maybe a little too much in front. Look for rubbing at full turn. Not that is crucial, but there could be scracth on the tires or slight fender damage where the tire hit the fender.

Overall, the car looks good, inside and out, mileage is original, seems it was well cared for, so if ALL the potential problems are bad, that car would worth only in the low 7k. But if the windshield rust is only benign and everything is working good, the asking price is reasonnable.

I'm with Jim and Dan. Hard to tell without seeing the car for real. The rust around the windshiled could mean rust underneath the windhield which involve a lot of work. But it also could be just a little surface rust, but even when seeing the car, it will be hard to tell without removing at least the windshield trim. But on the other side, it could take years before you need to adress the problem. Time to decide if you like the car enough to do that kind of job. Since I had to go thru that problem I could tell you that small rust patch maybe only the tip of the iceberg...

Interior seems nice except for the left of the driver seat, but that is to be expected from original seats cover on a 40 years old car. No picture of the driver side carpet. Maybe some holes in the carpet... The glovebox got a strange angle. Probably missing the left hinge, which is a commun problem. But at least, no crack in the dash.

Mileage is good. What is to be expected from a car driven on a regular basis in the summer.

Ask if suspension and brakes were done recently. Bill from a timing belt change? Brake and clutch master cylinder. They are a pity to change. The 175/70 tires maybe a little too much in front. Look for rubbing at full turn. Not that is crucial, but there could be scracth on the tires or slight fender damage where the tire hit the fender.

Overall, the car looks good, inside and out, mileage is original, seems it was well cared for, so if ALL the potential problems are bad, that car would worth only in the low 7k. But if the windshield rust is only benign and everything is working good, the asking price is reasonnable.
Oh well. He declined my highest offer.

The hunt continues!

Back