Wanted: X 1/9 Steering Wheel

Cratecruncher

True Classic
I just acquired an '86 Bertone with an aftermarket steering wheel and would like to replace it with a stock unit. I also need a horn button without logo.

Depending on the aftermarket unit you have, I might be interested in a trade. Mostly I'm looking for the adapter that mounts a 6 bolt aftermarket wheel to the X's steering shaft. Please contact me to discuss it if you are interested.

I have one on a parts car you can have, but I'd have to go down and check on the actual condition. Are you looking for a pristine piece, or would some painting/cleaning be acceptable?

On a different subject, are you in touch with the other Xweb members in Austin (Dennis and friends)?

Pete

Dr.Jeff: My aftermarket wheel has the brand "Dino" in red cursive script and the basket bolts to the hub in a 5-bolt pentagram pattern so doubt it will work. The wheel is perfect but the hub is over 3" long putting the horn button in my chest! Previous owner was hilarious but had no humeri. I have some pics I'll post shortly.

Pete Whitstone: Hi Pete, it doesn't need to be pristine. I am hoping to stitch it up in black leather so as long as it's straight and rubber is solid I think it would work for me. I exchanged messages with Austin74 recently. He seems pretty cool. I haven't introduced myself to Austin944 yet. There seem to be a lot of Texans on this forum. I thought I was the only Texan who liked tiny cool obscure X 1/9s.

If I did this correct there should be three photos of my current steering wheel setup.

Attachments

• P_20180920_112431.jpg
    P_20180920_112431.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 75
  • P_20180920_112505.jpg
    P_20180920_112505.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 70
  • P_20180920_112514.jpg
    P_20180920_112514.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 71
Well, each of my parts cars has a wheel on it, but no horn button. The installed one is in better shape than the other, pretty sure that car is a 79, but the wheel looks identical to the 81 parts car, and to my old 86. Let me know if you want either of these and I'll get them in the mail. If they're too rough I won't be offended at a "no thanks" either. :p

Pete

IMG_2131[1].JPGIMG_2132[1].JPG

Dr.Jeff: My aftermarket wheel has the brand "Dino" in red cursive script
If you are interested in a trade I would like to do that. I'll take some photos of the wheel that I have later today and post for you to review. And no problem if you prefer Pete's offer. I'm in Las Vegas, so shipping might be a little more than from Pete (in Texas).

Pete, your '81 parts car wheel will clean up nicely and pretty sure is the same as an '86. PLEASE PM me your Paypal name so I can cover your time, gas, and postage. It's hot out there man!

Dr.Jeff, it's going to take me a little while to get the stock wheel the way I want it. So, I'd like to hold onto the aftermarket for now so the car can be driven. As soon as the restored wheel is ready to go I'll give you a shout.

'86 Bertone with an aftermarket steering wheel and would like to replace it with a stock unit.
Hi Crate, did you know the '86 Bertones came with a different wheel, as the interiors were done by Bertone by then instead of Fiat (as they were 'til '83)? The wheel that was "stock" then was one I know as a "Personal", there were fitments for older Volvos (like the one I have). They had a 3-spoke shape with a leather-covered horn button. Should also have a leather covered shift knob, as seen in the picture, though not the cover on the rim of the wheel.Cars interior.jpg
edit, found the correct name "Italvolanti" for the wheel.

Last edited:
Pete, your '81 parts car wheel will clean up nicely and pretty sure is the same as an '86. PLEASE PM me your Paypal name so I can cover your time, gas, and postage. It's hot out there man!

Just to be clear, the 81 parts car wheel is the one sitting on the targa roof, the one in rougher shape. The 79 one is in better shape and is still on the car. The 79 is the one you want, right?

PS, get a can of "SEM Trim Black" from either O'reilleys or your local auto body supply. Looks great, tough as nails, only slightly glossy. Perfect for all kinds of things on an X like windshield wipers, door handles, and so on. Some other guys on here like rustoleum products and they are probably good too, but I am sticking with the SEM product.

Pete

Hi Crate, did you know the '86 Bertones came with a different wheel, as the interiors were done by Bertone by then instead of Fiat (as they were 'til '83)? The wheel that was "stock" then was one I know as a "Personal", there were fitments for older Volvos (like the one I have). They had a 3-spoke shape with a leather-covered horn button. Should also have a leather covered shift knob, as seen in the picture, though not the cover on the rim of the wheel.View attachment 15488

That wheel stared in 87, not 86. Although it may not have been as cut-n-dry as all that, some things cross over at times that do not coincide with the model year. But in general, that style is the 87 style and the 86 had the earlier one.

Edit: Interesting, I see that you also have the 87 style shift knob. My 86 came with the plain round black plastic ball.

Pete

Considering the photo is a right hand drive car, I'm assuming it is a European version of some sort. They may have had the Bertone trim earlier than in the US? So maybe the wheel and knob started there in 86? I don't know, just speculating. As Pete said lots of stuff happened rather randomly.

Pete, yes you are correct. I meant the steering wheel still attached to the column. I already have a huge can of SEM trim black and ready to start sanding. That wheel will clean up nicely. A thick piece of black cowhide from Tandy Leather next. Bayless has a non-Fiat logo horn button for a fair price and I should be set.

Everyone, I'm fairly certain my car had the earlier wheel. Door date is 6/85 so a very early '86 model year. In fact several folks here thought it might be an '85 because of the trim combinations.

Sorry for the confusion, I got the picture from http://www.themotorhood.com/themoto...lancia-montecarlo-ferrari-308gt-brio-trio-174, but was pressed for time earlier; my car (door date 7.85) came to me with a Momo wheel dated 3/89, but had the shift knob (without any leather left).

Here's the LHD version, with leather and air, from http://www.classicitaliancarsforsale.com/1987-bertone-x19/picture-3-123/, credited as an 87
Picture-38.png

Maybe part of the leather package?
I thought it came with the Bertone badge in '83.

Last edited:
OK I just looked it up in a 1990 IPD catalog I still have, the wheel name is Italvolanti; they carried it in 3 and 4 spoke versions, 14 and 16".

So, Crate, if this is what you have, it may be correct.

Jefco, not the same wheel. The "Dino" he has is aftermarket and not from Italvolanti, nor is it the stock wheel from any year X1/9.

Thanks for the correction Doc! I had forgotten what I'd read earlier- lack of short term memory :oops:

i still have two new "standard" black leather steering wheels on my web store under 5991219.
They changed the design at 04/1986, these are the earlier units.
I probably have the horn button parts also, I would need to look...

Back