Water Pump comparison: MWB vs. eBay vs. Stock

This week-end apart from removing my wrinkled rear window weatherstrip I also looked at removing and cleaning my thermostat housing and giving a thorough clean out. As well as replacing thermostat with a new one from MWB. What I found on removal of housing was a yellow, green paste build-up as a jelly. This from a car that has not been started or moved for four years.
Further investigation revealed a well rusted and corroded water tube to water pump. Next item for removal inspection, and cleaning. Perhaps together with water pump replacement. Would have liked to replace pipe from thermo housing to water pump with a new s/steel unit, but noticed none are available.

The anti corrosive silicates deplete and drop out over time in IAT anti-freeze so you get sludge and corroded pipes. It should be replaced every two years ideally. Also old cars need to be run occasionally, the worst thing you can do is leave them to sit for years on end...

It should be replaced every two years

The new Prestone coolants sold in North America are now good for 10 years, mixed with deionized water of course (I buy concentrate and mix).

1619986762728.png
1619986824517.png

Last edited:
If that crud lived in the thermostat housing, then likely it also lives in the rest of the cooling system. At the very least a thorough flush should be done. If possible, consider removing the radiator and having it professionally serviced.

Someone used to offer stainless replacements for the water pipe...unfortunately I don't recall who. However one problem is there are several versions of it, so difficult to make many of them in any one configuration. But I agree that would be nice for several reasons; corrosion protection, heat barrier (it runs right next to the exhaust manifold), good strength for a long life, and I suppose good looks. If you have or find a decent stock one then it can be blasted and ceramic coated on the inside and outside for corrosion protection and better heat barrier.

Since you are into things this far, at least remove the water pump to check its condition. Several things to look for, as discussed in other threads:

Jeff, after seeing the crud/jelly inside thermostat housing, will go further to water pump replacement, pipe restoration cleaning and ceramic or VHT paint treatment of outside. Yes will have radiator and heater element professionally cleaned and give cooling system a total flush before bleeding air out of system. Part of the complete going over of fuel, air, ignition, electrical and cooling system as part of restoration 1st stage.

Back