Weather stripping for targa bar/sail panels

I bought some Xweb recommended weather stripping from JC Whitney years ago for my 78. The doors on that car have to be slammed multiple times to get them closed. I was concerned when I ordered the current MWB, but very happy when it worked well.

Looking at the variants, I can only assume the version I got from MWB (must be several years now) was more like the rounder/fatter variety. Door required way more force than that to squish the seal in the door jamb. Either way, I prefer to cut the seal & use the original transition piece, then you don't have that 'flat' & reduced sealing in the top corner of the window.
I bought MWB seal not long ago, and it fits very well all around; no problem closing the doors. I did re-use the transition pieces from my '87; I had to cut them out, since they were molded into the whole piece. The MWB window seal is not as firm as the transition piece, and the wind is able to get by the seal at speed. The window is essentially held firm at the corner, and then in the middle the new seal gets blown down. I'm regretting trying to re-use the corner pieces. The original seal had a little lip that may have helped stop the wind noise.

I bought some Xweb recommended weather stripping from JC Whitney years ago for my 78. The doors on that car have to be slammed multiple times to get them closed. I was concerned when I ordered the current MWB, but very happy when it worked well.

Good to note they have resolved their supply. I use them as my default vendor.

This was the problem I documented at the time - I actually got a video of the water tracking into the car along this route, can't find that now.

X19_0780.jpg

This is where the fat seal was interfering with normal door closure

X19_0779.jpg

Back