What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Starting a new project for the x.

20190705_155959.jpg

Wonder who knows what i am doing.... (no they are not whales or fish)

Odie

I am just winging it here, but are you building a wing?
Wow. I keep forgetting how smart people are in here!!! (Spent too much time on honda sites)

Yup yup. Took the cutaway from an article on areodynamics on a race mazda.

Will be 20 ribs. Foam inside with a fiberglass cover.

Odie

Dang it. You found the pictures!.

No pictures just thought about it and played with styrofoam to get the rough size. The risers will be similar to dallara hieght to have the wing the same as the car. No taller ( have to still get under the toll gates). The wing itself will be about 5 foot wide (slightly less than then x body) and 15 inches deep.

Got the rough cut of the ribs done. Now i am sanding to get them the same. Wish i had a power sander!
20190705_165956.jpg
20190705_180259.jpg

Odie

20190703_214850.jpg
20190703_222402.jpg
Replaced my thermostat. I'm hoping that solves my cooling issue. And while I was in there, I finally installed my Euro cam. Stayed up late to get it done. Started right up and took it for a drive 1:30 AM. :)

Sometimes you wish the guy who had done his work before you wasn’t so good at his job.

Subfloor staples in their thousands
Blithely run in by pneumatic gun
Removed by hand, one by one.

C98BC751-98EA-4273-BAD0-36DC6219B33D.jpeg
FBE7FF7C-6FD3-4969-AC25-F9CC6973DD74.jpeg

The last quadrant is now complete.

I have hated that guy for hours now.

Last edited:
Since it has been almost 2 weeks since I sent my registration paperwork and money to the DMV and still no tags, I decided to drive my car around the yard. I noticed that the car did not want to roll downhill very easily. After jacking the car up, I discovered that all but the left front wheel seem to be suffering from brake hose constriction. I had this problem shortly before the engine blew up in 1995 and replaced all the hoses. Unfortunately, not using the car since then did absolutely nothing to prevent the "new" 1995 hoses from ending up just like the ones they replaced.

Any recommendations on which hose manufacturers or suppliers have products that will work well with no fitment issues? I was surprised to see that Autozone claims to carry both front and rear but I'd prefer to install something that has been confirmed to work.

Any recommendations on which hose manufacturers or suppliers have products that will work well with no fitment issues? I was surprised to see that Autozone claims to carry both front and rear but I'd prefer to install something that has been confirmed to work.[/QUOTE]

I installed the braided stainless set from MWB (front and rear). They are significantly more than standard rubber lines but they fit great and work great.
I would definitely recommend them.

Any recommendations on which hose manufacturers or suppliers have products that will work well with no fitment issues? I was surprised to see that Autozone claims to carry both front and rear but I'd prefer to install something that has been confirmed to work.
I got a full set of stainless steel braided hoses, but found that the front hoses would not fit without modification. One (or the other, depending on how you look at it) of the fittings were rotated 90°, so it would not match the double "D" cutout in the bracket at the hard line end. After looking carefully at the pictures on several vendors' sites, I found this to be a common problem. I ended up buying Beck/Arnley front hoses. These were a good fit, and should be widely available.

I installed the braided stainless set from MWB (front and rear). They are significantly more than standard rubber lines but they fit great and work great.
I would definitely recommend them.[/QUOTE]

We used these as well (on the 79). They fit great, but we haven't filled the system yet, so can't confirm function.

Since it has been almost 2 weeks since I sent my registration paperwork and money to the DMV and still no tags, I decided to drive my car around the yard. I noticed that the car did not want to roll downhill very easily. After jacking the car up, I discovered that all but the left front wheel seem to be suffering from brake hose constriction. I had this problem shortly before the engine blew up in 1995 and replaced all the hoses. Unfortunately, not using the car since then did absolutely nothing to prevent the "new" 1995 hoses from ending up just like the ones they replaced.

Are you sure it's the hoses? If the car hasn't been driven since 1995 you may have sticky pistons or parking brake mechanism. Jack each wheel and turn by hand to see which are giving resistance. You can test for piston vs. hose by cracking the bleed while attempting to spin the tire by hand.

Are you sure it's the hoses? If the car hasn't been driven since 1995 you may have sticky pistons or parking brake mechanism. Jack each wheel and turn by hand to see which are giving resistance. You can test for piston vs. hose by cracking the bleed while attempting to spin the tire by hand.
Pretty sure. If I wait about a half hour after pumping the brakes, the wheels spin freely again. All the calipers were taken apart, cleaned and re-greased within the last 9 months. The factory set of hoses ran into this problem after 20 years so I'm not surprised the replacement hoses (Fiat OEM) have the same problem after 24 years.

If I had not seen this problem before, I'd probably crack a bleed screw to make sure. However, I don't want to get dirty more than I have to, and at 24 years, it is likely time to replace the hoses even if they were still working.

Don, sorry I didn't think of this sooner, but on our 81 we found that all 4 calipers had corrosion & accumulated "dirt" on the sliding surfaces & the wedges. All were removed, cleaned thoroughly, greased, & reassembled. That was a few months ago and I had forgotten about it, as the car was not driven since then until this weekend. When test driving the car, it seemed to have more "pickup" than I remembered. It wasn't until I read your post that I started thinking that the brakes must have been dragging as the calipers wouldn't relax after removing "pedal" because of the corrosion / dirt. Could you have a similar problem since the car was sitting for some time? I would think that the hydraulic pressure might be enough to overcome constriction.........or not?

Don, sorry I didn't think of this sooner, but on our 81 we found that all 4 calipers had corrosion & accumulated "dirt" on the sliding surfaces & the wedges. All were removed, cleaned thoroughly, greased, & reassembled. That was a few months ago and I had forgotten about it, as the car was not driven since then until this weekend. When test driving the car, it seemed to have more "pickup" than I remembered. It wasn't until I read your post that I started thinking that the brakes must have been dragging as the calipers wouldn't relax after removing "pedal" because of the corrosion / dirt. Could you have a similar problem since the car was sitting for some time? I would think that the hydraulic pressure might be enough to overcome constriction.........or not?
Hi Denny:

The calipers were all cleaned up and greased last fall. I even power wire brushed the sliding surfaces so they were all smooth. The symptoms seem to be hydraulic since if you let the system sit a while, the wheels spin freely. I think I can tell which wheels have the worst hoses by how long it takes for the pressure to release. Even though the hoses were new when the car was last on the road, they are now 24 years old. The originals only lasted 20 years so I'm not surprised.

I am anxious to get your old engine out on the highway and see how it performs with the modifications. I can tell you that it at least sounds pretty nasty. If my tags arrive before new hoses, I'll just take it out for a spin without hitting the brake pedal!

I agree that rubber brake hoses will deteriorate/swell if they have brake fluid in them, even if not used. Slow gradual chemical reaction with the fluid over time.

Back