What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

I like then as well. ;)

Guess you needed a rocking chair with grandma sitting on top of the rear truck.
Haha...but no, that's my bike rack for the car, I was planning on strapping my bike to the
back of the car to save space but U-Haul gave me a massive 26' truck for the move for the
price of a 20 footer so no need after all. As for the rims, I believe they were made for an
Alfa Romeo car but they are 4x98 bolt pattern.

Do you already have the tipo head converted ready to mount? The ITB's will be used with a aftermarket ECU? I'd enjoy hearing the details of both of those projects, maybe you could start a thread about them.

Old school CJ, looks pretty clean. My brother has one like that but his is just a pile of rotting junk.

Thanks. I'll definitely post a thread when I have some more progress to report. The car is already running megasquirt for ignition. I have a new tipo head, thermostat adapter, 1600 crank, gsxr itbs, and dcoe intake manifold, and a 14 bolt block all sitting on the shelf now. I still need to get the tipo head machined to upgrade the exhaust valves from 31 mm to 33 mm.

The original plan was to slowly build a stroker engine while I kept my X on the road. But now that it needs a head gasket, I'm rethinking that.

Option A: Just put a new head gasket on and keep using my 79 head. This gets it back on the road as quickly as possible. Then I'll keep collecting parts and focusing for the 1600 engine build.

Option B: Upgrade to the tipo head, and leave the 34 dmtr carb for now, but the manual choke is a pain. This shouldn't be much more work to get back on the road.

Option C: Upgrade to the tipo head and gsxr itbs. This would probably be the most fun and it's what I'm leaning towards. But, realistically, I'll be lucky if I'm driving it again by the fall.

Last edited:
Go for it. A little motivation (like getting all of it done before winter) is often what's needed to make projects happen. Otherwise all those great parts will be sitting on the shelf forever. ;)

I'm putting together the components to switch to MegaSquirt. Do you know where to find decent base maps for these engines?

Option A: Just put a new head gasket on and keep using my 79 head. This gets it back on the road as quickly as possible. Then I'll keep collecting parts and focusing for the 1600 engine build.
If the brakes are OK, this option can give you the motivation to get the 1600 done over the winter, reminding you why you have an X in the first place. Enjoy the summer while you can!

Go for it. A little motivation (like getting all of it done before winter) is often what's needed to make projects happen. Otherwise all those great parts will be sitting on the shelf forever. ;)

I'm putting together the components to switch to MegaSquirt. Do you know where to find decent base maps for these engines?

Unfortunately, I don't think I've ever seen a map for these engines. But I'll bet the map tunerstudio make will give a decent starting point. I converted my cj5 to megasquirt too, and the map tunerstudio created was decent enough to get it running. Then autotune was able to do its magic from there.

I wrestled the head off today. Think I might go with putting the new stuff on now, re-using the old greasy parts is getting less and less appealing when I have new stuff on the shelf. Plus, this way, when I do get the 1600 built, I won't be trying to break-in the engine and tuning itbs at the same time. This can be kind of a development motor for the megasquirt and itbs.

I got the job of changing the clutch slave today. It blew apart 1/4 from the driveway. started in 1st gear and did not even bother to shift out.. into the driveway and slide it out of gear before hitting the breaks.

Would you believe I had a new slave already on the shelf (miss-order from another project that did not get used there).

How about that break the car about 5: pm ish, get home, work on fixing a dryer, take a break, then start fixing on the fiat and 10:15 pm it's fixed (dryer is on hold waiting for parts)

Odie, Is this thing ever in the Metro Detroit region? I need to see the little Redwing beast!!!

not usually. I am a country boy and a bit of a pansy. I actually make my wife drive when we go to see her parents LOL (farmington hills and troy) In reality, I am getting to the point where I am starting to trust it more than just to work and back. maybe by end of the summer I can make its first "longish" venture to come see you

Odie

It only took 3 weeks to get my tags from CA DMV. It would have taken longer if I hadn't called last week. They were planning on rejecting my application because I had no smog certificate. I reminded them that 1974 was an exempt year, and they expedited it through the system. Apparently, the department that handles registering vehicles that were on planned non operational status is not very knowledgeable about exempt vehicles.

BEFORE:

1974 Fiat X19 License Plate - Expires April 1996.jpg

AFTER:

1974 Fiat X19 License Plate - Expires April 2020.jpg

Apparently, the department that handles registering vehicles that were on planned non operational status is not very knowledgeable about exempt vehicles.
You'd think it would be a automatic thing with their system. But knowing how the CA DMV works, they probably are still using a very antiquated system that isn't automated at all.

24 years later. ;)

I get the impression that far more cars go on non operational status than ever come off, and I get the impression that the getting off part may be an entirely manual process. For example, the little bag with the license plate sticker in it was obviously attached to the registration by someone who was challenged to use a stapler (two bent staples) and align two rectangular objects - unlike the precisely stapled and aligned ones you normally get when renewing. I'm sure that process is highly automated.

not usually. I am a country boy and a bit of a pansy. I actually make my wife drive when we go to see her parents LOL (farmington hills and troy) In reality, I am getting to the point where I am starting to trust it more than just to work and back. maybe by end of the summer I can make its first "longish" venture to come see you

Odie
My x will be driveable by then too. Not quite trust worthy by that point but should be able to tour the metro area with it! Good luck with yours throughout the summer!

After looking at the "Before" and "After" license plate photos, you can see that in 1995, when the "Before" tag was issued, the CA DMV was not worrying yet about Y2K with their two digit year plates.

Last edited:
It only took 3 weeks to get my tags from CA DMV. It would have taken longer if I hadn't called last week. They were planning on rejecting my application because I had no smog certificate. I reminded them that 1974 was an exempt year, and they expedited it through the system. Apparently, the department that handles registering vehicles that were on planned non operational status is not very knowledgeable about exempt vehicles.

BEFORE:

View attachment 23537

AFTER:

View attachment 23539

WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Better put a photo of you by the front door so your wife will recognize you when you finally come home from your first drive. You better take along some food & water as well.
That first drive after a long, dry spell is awesome. Enjoy!

went crazy with the 5 inch grinder and some thin slitting discs.
Crikey mate! (did I get that right?)

Can't tell if the remaining chassis is the basis for a major project, or the removed panels will become a silhouette body for a racer?
But I like that gauge pod on the (RHD) dash.

Crikey mate! (did I get that right?)
Can't tell if the remaining chassis is the basis for a major project, or the removed panels will become a silhouette body for a racer?
But I like that gauge pod on the (RHD) dash.

body was a bit rusty, and in some difficult to repair spots... but in other "usual" rust traps, this one was very good...so it's sort of the perfect candidate for a body kit.. I sliced the bits off and the fenders /guards will be for sale to anyone that might need them, so the panels (like all other parts) have been "harvested" and aren't going to waste.

Long term project, but might have a mid way point that could be fun...

In the end... I want to end up with something taking some design cues from this.
BertoneAutobianchiA112_Runabout_1969.jpg

It's not going to be a replica, just taking some design cues but based on using an X19 chassis dimensions, opening doors, working around using an X19 nosecone and S1 honeycomb front grille, lights at the front and not hanging on the B pillar as it still could be road legal..etc etc... but you get the idea..

The mid point fun is that before I start the bodywork, I'll have a "naked" X19 with all the mechanicals sorted that would be great to take to a track day... :)

SteveC

Back