What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

In the end... I want to end up with something taking some design cues from this.
I also have a X with lots of rust in non critical areas, but all of the structural and important areas are good. So I'm considering something similar. Although I won't be going so far with it. For the most part I'd retain the X's body but rework the fender arches (badly rusted), front and rear aprons (damaged), corners, etc. However I do want to change the windshield frame and targa bar to something more like the "Runabout", making it a 'roadster' with no windows or top and a short windscreen. So more of a hybrid of the two cars than your project.

Spent a bit of time cleaning up the mess that came from a poorly placed cam tower gasket (from my machine shop). My bad, I should have caught it. Anyhow, after the clean up and remounting the newly curved distributor, this is what she looked like before breaking for dinner.
IMG_4663.jpg
IMG_4664.jpg

Last edited:
Completed 350 miles in the 1500 this weekend, car didn’t miss a beat. Learned the x really isn’t a freeway cruiser, it’s much better suited to the twisty back roads and highways. On the Freeway it’s far too noisy and you feel vulnerable due to the size and low power, you really have to plan ahead. All the same it was a hoot to drive.

Little and large!

[/

California style.
P1000977.JPG

Been enjoying Driving the X. The B swap doesnt have the power of the K swap (160-170 hp for the b16a) but it is really telling how much the X was made for more power. I told my mechanic friend who helped me do the swap it doesnt seem as fast as the Honda it come out of. which is possible as it has a different bottom end now and different tune. It feels better than the 1500 I had in it. it keeps up with traffic quite well, and with the long LS transmission, it is doing about 3400 at 70 MPH. 4000 about 80. and getting about 34 MPG. Off of vtec, it sounds good. not much louder than the 1500 I had in it. now when vtec hits? different story. A nice clean loud with that high RPM buzz I loved about the 1500. (but still doesnt sound as good as the 1500 with dual carbs, IMO). Anyway. I finally got to take him for a ride. he is no small dude so I should have gotten a vid of him getting out. it was funny as heck. during the little run he pointed out it pulls hard all the way through. then we got into a small little race with a cobalt ss. I was amazed I took him. not by alot, but I pulled away. it was a low second gear start. Pulled all the way through second and I let off before 3rd topped off. didnt want to get too much of a ticket. (~90 mph).
So back to the point. My car is pretty rigged actually. It is more for looks than performance. Tires really are too big, needs new suspension bushings, needs an alignment, rattles like crazy. But the X is built so well I really had no idea it was as fast as it was. I am used to fast cars feeling like it is fast. This car does not feel that way at all. Sure I feel it pull, but I guess I was used to it, because really didnt think it pulled that much. Now that I have had a person who wasnt used to it being impressed, I can see it really does.
I am wondering if the K swappers have that same feeling. Its real fast but REAL smooth.

Odie

still doesnt sound as good as the 1500 with dual carbs
I'll bet if the B engine had dual carbs it would sound as good. My point being the carb induction noise would be there, and that is what you were hearing before. Maybe the intake on your Honda can be modified and aimed toward the cabin to get a little of that sound back? In fact there are some modern cars that actually pipe induction noise into the cabin to make them more appealing to 'performance minded' buyers.

In my opinion, around 200 HP would be the maximum limit for the X....at least to be safe and reliable overall. And 170 should be a LOT of fun. I really don't think I'd want much more than 170 or so, but if you did then the 'B' could easily be turbo'd. ;)

I understand the Cobalt SS is quite the performer, so beating it with "no small dude" onboard with you seems like a big win. :)

Those ITB's will give you the sound you like. So would a set of bike carbs. A turbo offers its own nice sounds...."whine, psssshhh, whistle". :D

A low boost turbo will really wake up that engine, lots of torque and acceleration to go with the top end power. Should be easy to get turbo parts dedicated to the B engine.

hmmm I was thinking low boost turbo, but..
http://www.megatunning.com/obx-individual-throttle-body-itb-honda-b16-b18c-dc2-eg6

View attachment 23738
Also, not sure the colbalt was fully into it, but was fun none the less. first real pull over 60.

Odie

Interesting, the transition from the main manifold is a bolted flange. One could imagine adding a 90° between them to make it a downdraft (knowing it would change the characteristics). This might solve one of my qualms around this swap where the rear trunk is savaged. I know, whine whine whine.

Cool piece and surprisingly inexpensive.

where the rear trunk is savaged
Trunk, smunk. Actually I'm curious, do you ever actually use the rear trunk as a trunk? Personally I find it completely useless; it is too small to carry anything more than a few spare parts/tools for emergency repairs, and those can be carried in the front trunk (which is also too small to use for anything more - if you still want to be able to stow the top). So how much of a loss is it to use a small portion of the rear trunk by having the induction poking through? Not that I am arguing the point, but as I said I'm curious who really uses the trunk and for what?

Actually I use it every day. My briefcase goes in there with my phone etc and as I get out I gather my stuff. As there are a few turns I take a trifle aggressively, I don’t like my stuff bouncing around the interior.

So yes I do value the trunk. I also look forward to taking it on vacation in the future and every square inch will be at a premium as my wife is a bit of a clothes horse...

My briefcase goes in there
That makes sense. I guess my question is if it would prevent such use to have a 'box' structure protruding into the trunk to clear the induction? I'm thinking something like Stingray did, but shaped/located as needed for the Honda intake:
IMG_20181202_155944689.jpg

Seems you could make something like this to cover the intrusion and still fit your briefcase in the trunk. My point is it shouldn't be that much of a sacrifice.

I also look forward to taking it on vacation in the future and every square inch will be at a premium as my wife is a bit of a clothes horse...
Now that's a different story. All I'll say there is best wishes on both accounts (using the X for a vacation, and taking a clothes horse with you). :D:D

92lbs of blue eyed northern Italian/Scott. It can be fiery sometimes. She does need lots of clothes because she gets cold easily.

There was a photographer at the CnC yesterday and he took a couple pictures of my 85X. They are better than anything I have taken. I guess his fancy camera is better than my smart phone. :)
20190803_2.jpg
20190803_1.jpg

Jim, some day you need to teach me how to make paint look that good. And by that I mean you need to do it to mine. ;)

That is a one year old Maaco base/clear paint job and I have done nothing to it. I haven't even waxed it. There are dirt specs in the clear coat and I keep telling myself I will get that addressed, then wax the car. Of course, I never do it. So... I guess the secret is to have a real photographer photograph your car and do whatever magic they do with filters, etc? I haven't even washed it since the MWB open house in June. Just cleaned a few bugs off now and then. I bet can "do nothing" to your car from here. Wait a sec.... OK go look at your car now. Beautiful right?:rolleyes:

Back