What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

MBW used to have the front lid in fiberglass but not now. They are available in Europe but shipping of such a bulky item is prohibitive. I fabricated a rear one-piece lid in aluminium, replacing both engine cover and rear trunk cover. 4.5 kg (10 lb) instead of 16 kg (35 lb) for both lids. Can I do the same in front? Intend to tryView attachment 84100.View attachment 84097View attachment 84098View attachment 84099
you really did a good job with the shape !
Looks real good.

This actually happened yesterday, but I decided to fix it ASAP. Just to prove putting a K20 in an X doesn't make it less of a Fiat. ;)
20240428_101026.jpg20240428_111318.jpg
The heater hose tore and popped off the pipe heading into the center tunnel. All better now.
0aff30a3-95f9-496d-8f46-2c2e5e0de166.jpg

Attended my 2nd car show this past Saturday. Very well attended. A large variety of cars, from classic muscle to tuners, and everything in between. Some very nice rides. The X got lots of attention. Heard a couple of "Haven't seen one of those in 20 years" and quite a few "What the hell is it?" For a second there it looked like we might both get something, but we had to leave before the awards were given out and didn't come home with anything more than a great day out. Here's my pip squeak parked next to my buddy's awesome 64 Chevy II "gasser" that I helped him build.
20240427_130017.jpeg20240427_130039.jpeg20240427_130030.jpeg20240427_130051.jpeg20240427_131456.jpeg20240427_131519.jpeg20240427_131549.jpeg20240427_131603.jpeg20240427_131607.jpeg

Last edited:
Yesterday I took Berta south of Sweden to visit The Italian Vehicle Meet. Nice weather but a little bit windy, lots of nice cars and motorbikes. Four X 1/9 attended whereof one was imported from the US. I shot a walk-through video, and there could be some cars/models that didn't come to North America. Click the link below to watch the video.
I love shows like that; casual gathering of nice "normal" cars in a relaxed open space with lots of friendly interaction. As opposed to how so many shows have become (at least the ones I'm familiar with); restricted and costly entry, trying to be a "high society" environment, snobby people, cars that are more about showing off how much money they spent. Car shows should be about cars, not a social wealth competition.

Last edited:
Attended my 2nd car show this past Saturday. Very well attended. A large variety of cars, from classic muscle to tuners, and everything in between. Some very nice rides. The X got lots of attention. Heard a couple of "Haven't seen one of those in 20 years" and quite a few "What the hell is it?" For a second there it looked like we might both get something, but we had to leave before the awards were given out and didn't come home with anything more than a great day out. Here's my pip squeak parked next to my buddy's awesome 64 Chevy II "gasser" that I helped him build.
View attachment 84173View attachment 84174View attachment 84175View attachment 84176View attachment 84177View attachment 84178View attachment 84179View attachment 84181View attachment 84182
Where was this one Tom? I went to Cars at the Crossroads in Franklin Lakes on Saturday.

I love shows like that; casual gathering of nice "normal" cars in a relaxed open space with lots of friendly interaction. As opposed to how so many shows have become (at least the ones I'm familiar with); restricted and costly entry, trying to be a "high society" environment, snobby people, cars that are more about trying to show off how much money they spent. Car shows should be about cars, not a social wealth competition.
Björn, thank you for posting the vid. It looks like a great event, lot's of interesting cars!

I think a well organized car show has two parking lots/places. One for show cars, the other for the everyday cars folks drove to get to the show. I suppose a laid back show would not be able to "police" the cars allowed on the show field, and I think it's great that some folks are interested in "showing" their cars, even it the car is not very interesting. But when it's difficult to tell the difference between a "car show" and the parking lot at the local Walmart, it's just boring, and a waste of time.
The local Cars and Coffee event near me is getting that way. And I think others have noticed too. At the last one I attended someone put a sign on their car, in the engine compartment with the hood up, that read something to the effect - 1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme, Only 98,000 miles, One of only 485,324 built, Only 6 owners from new. And of course it was beat up, dirty, and had a filthy engine that was covered in dust and grime. Sarcasm - I hope. :)

My '83 X had the rectangular side markers, orange/yellow on front and red on rear (forbidden in EU). I was never a fan of it, because every lorry or trailer has similar ones. I also didn't like the firefly-style of the former models. They are too old fashioned in my eyes, even when I like the strip frame around them very much. Finally I found LED side markers with European certification no., that pleased my taste ;-) https://www.led-martin.de/seitenmarkierungsleuchte-be20-gelb-rund-versenkbar.html
Screenshot 2024-05-03 095017.png

Last edited:
Went to a new CnC event about an hour from home out in the Missouri wine country. Lots of nice hills and twisty roads for the X to enjoy. There were 3 Alfas at the event.
20240504_081154.jpg20240504_081238.jpg20240504_082017.jpg
I found another X owner, but his car is stored in Arkansas. Ge already knows about Xweb, so hopefully he will introduce himself.

New reduction gear starter arrived this past week from MWB. Nice unit. Unpleasant job in VERY tight quarters. Still, the starter is in and Miss X is purring again.
Or if you would, please weigh the standard starter and I will weigh the super-duper MWB unit (I no longer have a stock unit). I'm curious...The gear reduction starter seems quite heavy for it's size and requiters a good chunk of aluminum for a spacer/adaptor.

Or if you would, please weigh the standard starter and I will weigh the super-duper MWB unit (I no longer have a stock unit). I'm curious...The gear reduction starter seems quite heavy for it's size and requiters a good chunk of aluminum for a spacer/adaptor.
When I put in a gear reduction starter in 2016 I weighed the stock Marelli starter at 4.5 kg, and the replacement gear reduction starter at 3.6 kg.

Back