What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Same goes for "raking" the exxe
Hi Bernice, I am running one size taller rear tires (596 mm diameter) to get the same final ratio as the standard 5 speed. The ratios of the Stilo C510 gearbox are shorter. The front tires are 577 mm in diameter.

When I bought the car in the 80s it had cut front springs and never handled particularly well. When I revived it two years ago I also got proper coilovers (softest D2s), which made a world of difference.

I think I set them close to stock height, but due the diameter of the rear tires the rear of the car is 10 mm higher than standard and the sill is now close to horizontal with the rear perhaps a mm or two lower.

Would you think the change in rake due to the tire size difference alone would offset the suspension dynamics?

Would you think the change in rake due to the tire size difference alone would offset the suspension dynamics?
I figure you mean "upset"? I would say yes. Changing rake changes castor and all the control arm inclinations relative to the ground. How much impact? No idea but not zero.

Hi Bernice, I am running one size taller rear tires (596 mm diameter) to get the same final ratio as the standard 5 speed. The ratios of the Stilo C510 gearbox are shorter. The front tires are 577 mm in diameter.

When I bought the car in the 80s it had cut front springs and never handled particularly well. When I revived it two years ago I also got proper coilovers (softest D2s), which made a world of difference.

I think I set them close to stock height, but due the diameter of the rear tires the rear of the car is 10 mm higher than standard and the sill is now close to horizontal with the rear perhaps a mm or two lower.

As a start, larger tire/wheel diameter will raise the roll center of rear which reduces grip and alters the grip/traction balance of the chassis/suspension. Depending on wheel offset, that will alter the scrub radius (Braking stability, steering feel), loading on the wheel bearings. Too many install incorrect wheel offsets to gain a wheel that is visually "fashionable" trading off proper dynamics.

As for "coil overs" the as delivered, as designed strut suspension has "coil overs". That term coil over simply means damper coaxial with the spring. What is important is spring rate/damper rates in compression/rebound and how all this interacts with the rest of the entire suspension/chassis as they work as a system.

It is possible to get the "stock" ride height set by adjusting the damper/spring units threaded collar, this will alter the static position of the
lower A-arm which impacts the suspension geometry due to the larger diameter wheel/tire. Keep in mind, the rear suspension has an optimal static height that is designed in. Static height impacts the roll center position, static location rear suspension's camber curve, rear toe curve position (the rear suspension is designed with toe in on bump)..

Take the time to read this recent discussion on suspension/chassis dynamics to gain some idea of how this stuff works.

Change one item on the suspension, from settings/alignment to wheels/tires/tire pressure to spring rates/dampers and such can drastically alter the vehicle dynamics.

It is not a good idea to compensate for gearing by wheel/tire diameter. If the gear ratios need to be altered, alter the gears not the wheel/tires.

Question becomes, what is the point of reference for "handling" ala chassis/suspension dynamics?

Bernice

Finally got the old floorpan out, and custom pan in. All to fit this perfect, vintage Recaro.
0.jpg
0-1.jpg

I drove it!

this car - https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/86-bertone-for-sale.44699/#post-433330

I bought the car back in November, and sent it to my friend in PA. She changed all the fluids, bled the brakes and clutch, installed new pads, swapped out a new clutch hose and hockeypuck, installed a new timing belt, replaced a leaking radiator, all the fuel lines, and all the coolant hoses, and put the intake back to stock. Today I flew into PA and got to drive the car!

Wahoooo.

Smooth, smooth smooooth. As expected, it handles great. The brakes are kinda lame, which I am hoping is old discs and new pads needing to bed in a little better.

The paint is really faded - the clearcoat has failed in spots. I did a cursory hand polish and used some cheap spray wax just to get it protected and give it a tiny bit of shine.

Tomorrow I'm driving to visit my Mom in NJ, and if that goes well, up to Boston this weekend.

PXL_20240409_221011365.jpg
PXL_20240409_235024722.jpg

I drove it!

this car - https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/86-bertone-for-sale.44699/#post-433330

I bought the car back in November, and sent it to my friend in PA. She changed all the fluids, bled the brakes and clutch, installed new pads, swapped out a new clutch hose and hockeypuck, installed a new timing belt, replaced a leaking radiator, all the fuel lines, and all the coolant hoses, and put the intake back to stock. Today I flew into PA and got to drive the car!
Congratulations! Sounds like you've got a good friend in PA.
Wahoooo.

Smooth, smooth smooooth. As expected, it handles great. The brakes are kinda lame, which I am hoping is old discs and new pads needing to bed in a little better.

The paint is really faded - the clearcoat has failed in spots. I did a cursory hand polish and used some cheap spray wax just to get it protected and give it a tiny bit of shine.

Tomorrow I'm driving to visit my Mom in NJ, and if that goes well, up to Boston this weekend.
If you have issues when you're in the Boston area on en-route, I know of someone that works on X1/9s in Rhode Island. Post here or DM me.

Congratulations! Sounds like you've got a good friend in PA.

If you have issues when you're in the Boston area on en-route, I know of someone that works on X1/9s in Rhode Island. Post here or DM me.
Thanks for the kind offer - I'll keep you in mind if the need arises!

And yes, a very good friend! She'll get to keep the car for at least a year in return for all the help.

Classic seats, love them. Worth the work to get them in. ;) How do they fit width wise?
Width is ok, but had to drop the floor/pan seat-rail height about 2.25" to make the vertical position work. This caused a small intrusion of the tilt knob along the door sill. Smaller diameter knob will do the trick...snowball effect. 3D printing is our friend.

CnC season is kicking off again.
View attachment 83571
There was a rare Sunday event today at The Cherry Garage. A gentleman backed his bike in next to me and said "We have to park the Italians together." Very nice bike and owner. He had a 75 Alfetta in the shop area that he is restoring.
20240414_103047.jpg

UPDATE: I forgot to note that you can see the Alfetta's nose poking out near the back of the shop on the left side.
20240414_112340.jpg

Last edited:
There was a rare Sunday event today at The Cherry Garage. A gentleman backed his bike in next to me and said "We have to park the Italians together." Very nice bike and owner. He had a 75 Alfetta in the shop area that he is restoring.
View attachment 83603

UPDATE: I forgot to note that you can see the Alfetta's nose poking out near the back of the shop on the left side.
View attachment 83604
That shop has a interesting mix of vehicles being worked on. :)

That shop has a interesting mix of vehicles being worked on. :)
The shop has it's own projects and also rents bays to folks that need a place to work. They have an even crazier mix of vehicles in areas to the left and right of the shop proper. The shop is in the center of their property. From what I could tell from walking thru the back areas of the building, they seem to own the whole section that has the Tudor looking front with the peaked roof accents. Basically from the military green vette down the street to to the right where the silver BMW with its hood up is parked. Nice group of young men running the place. They have a mix of technical and engineering backgrounds and still have "real" jobs as well as the shop.
20240414_090707.jpg

Took my ‘75 out for a little run. Brake pedal went almost to the floor on the way back and no leaks anywhere. That’s 3 years on this master cylinder. Arrrrrgh!

Hello Guys,
Just received my new sport inox exhaust, will share with you very soon !

However...
I have seen in a video this kind of thing would happen when taking off the exhaust manifold.
Do I need to drain the entire system ? Or maybe just half of it ?
Or just need to be careful ?

Thanks !

oyy.PNG

Back