What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Serves ya right, George...

... for hangin' out in old Hollyweird!

HA!

Seriously... I had that happen once to a point... where I lost ONE bolt and the flat strap on its "partner-bolt" was spinning around and hitting the body... whaap-whaap-whapp... as I rolled along!

I must've drove another 20 miles that way as I didn't have the tools to get the other bolt out!

Glad yur OK... and BTW... I take an Allen wrench and tighten all those every time I change the oil nowadays... I dunno why... HA!

2-7-11

Haven't done much to the X in a while, so I thought today I'd take a whopping 28 seconds out of my busy schedule to install my newly acquired steering wheel :) I'll still probably end up using the wheel seen on the floor board in the pic, after I re-cover it.
DSC02697.jpg

I leaned my Snow Shovel on my X while

I used a flat shovel to break up ice on my driveway.

On a brighter note, I did start it up last Wednesday!

Loose axle

The noise was like something broke and fell down, I actually look back to check if I dropped something. After that no noise at all, I parked 1 1/2 blocks ahead thanks to the inertia.
The funny part was that I parked right in front of a very busy fashion restaurant and everybody was looking at the car, I just pretended to be on the phone to avoid the "fix it again Tony" phrase to be pronounced by somebody and to preserve our Xreputation (I was actually calling the AAA) :guitar:

No photos needed! This was SOOOO easy. What took me about an hour (and there is some clean up left to do) on the drivers side, took me 10 minutes on the passenger side.

What I did was to crush the ice almost to a snow powder consistency so I was able to get a nice even coverage and get as much ice over the area. 5 minutes later and I took my autobody flat hammer and smacked away. Came right up. Nice and clean underneath. And to my surpise, not an ounce of rust :) I was pretty sure I was going to find at least surface rust.

Suggestions:
1) use heavy rawhide gloves
2) Don't wear shorts or short sleeves :(

Thanks for suggesting Jim and Greg!
Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
after dry-ice...

Work I could do at lunch time:

Image0075.jpg

This is the passenger side it looks good no holes to repair.

Driver side however needed a section cut-out and replaced. I did the frankenstien approach with metal adhesive. It got too dark to take an after pic with my phone so I update it tomorrow.
Image0074.jpg

today...

had a four wheel alingment and all four wheels balanced. (Had some shimmy developing at highway speeds).

NOW I'm on my way to get a quote on a stereo/GPS/bluetooth/subwoofer system install...

UPDATE: Shimmy is gone. Alignment WS needed, and all 4 wheel re-balances. Even with a Hunter, couldn't get everthing 100% proper, and couldn't adjust camber.

Stereo: putting in a 3-way Hertz-Eddison speaker system (its Italian btw) a Kenwood kvt-516 with 7" display, Kenwood KCA 610 Garmin Nav unit, Ipod and Kenwood BT300 Bluetooth. Powered by a JL Audio amp, JL or Hertz 10 inch sub...not sure yet which one. Car goes in on the 24th, back 28th and done.

Will post pictures in a seperate thread if I can pull this off...

Last edited:
fixed headlights

never could get my lights to work right so I pulled the trigger and went for the fixed style...what do you think??

interior work

I've once again started working on the the interior. The new carpet got put in about two years back, but then lifes' issues got in the way of completion. I'm working on the inside door panels right now. I acquired good panels from a late model, but the faded blue clothe strip in the middle has to go. I was thinking a yellow patch to match the exterior, and to lighten up the all black dungeon I've got going. I will post before and after pics as the project progresses.

attempted...

the headlight relay mod. Unfortunately none of my wires matched the description of the write up, and wires exiting the headlight assembly did not seem to match wires entering the fuse panel...To be continued next weekend.

While the X is in the garage...

Gather the exhaust and related parts to install them next week ,still some basic mainetance things to do( electrical, interior), wait till march to renew the cars registration so i can enjoy it!!!

Finally pulled my passenger quarter light, removed glass and put in glass with hole. Installed PS mirror. Rear window channel mounting bracket rusted off so cobbled a block of wood to hold it. What can I say, it works.

Today we got another patch welded in. There's probably only three more days worth of welding in the car now :guitar:

I also started cleaning up the wheel wells that have had patches welded in for some new body deadener. I got the area around where the muffler sits cleaned up, filled the seams and layed down a layer of nice grey primer that cleans the area up massively.

I paid for more parts from Mad Matt Brannon...

Cant wait for the weather to warm up so I can start the assemblage...

inbetween long stretches of lazing about this weekend after a fairly hectic week at work, both jason and i managed to get some bits done in readiness for work on both mistertwo, and x. yesterday was clean out his garage, chuck out a heap of cack, stack up what's worth keeping:
attachment.php

and catch the passing romany rogues to take away the exceedingly heavy metal table:
attachment.php

today, i finally made a start on stripping down the two spare doors we got in a job lot of free parts, the skins were more rotten than a pear, and beyond worth working on, but the bits on them were well worth salavging, after all, you never know...
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

next step, sometime this coming week, or next weekend is to sort out the rest of the joblot, and tuck it away.

Dropped the 1300 and 4-spd out of my 78

This was my first engine pull and I have been picking at the project for months. This is a big step.

Back