What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Worked on my 79 X in the cold

It was somewhere in the 40's today. I'm turning into a wimp in my old age, so to me 40's is cold.
1) Swapped old set of tires and steal rims to a set of CD-91's with good rubber.
2) Checked all the brake pads, cleaned and lubed the caliper sliders, and cracked open the bleeders
3) installed the Aluminum trunk/engine cover release lever housing with new braided cables (Thanks Midwest-Bayless)
4) installed my new "FIAT X19" license plates!

Maybe tomorrow I'll get around to replacing my broken alternator, and installing my new 28/30 DHTA carb.

Maybe it was supposed to go on the window but...

I got my Mac sticker today and slapped it right on!

Image0015.jpg

Thanks Ricardo and thanks Mac!

i gutted mine out..

I took out my seats carpets and all the vinyl on the back wall including the speakers. i also found a bertone symbol stamped on the back wall with a 14 and a circle around it. Pretty nostalgic to me. I wonder if hte guy who built that car in 1979 knew or even wondered where it would be 31 years later. Floor pans are next.

I saw my 850 engine drive away, but not under its own power :)

The guys from Car Classics picked up the engine, new radiator, new fuel tank, new accelerator cable and new dash.

They are reassembling the heavy stuff as above the rest of the week and getting her in shape for the Old One (me) to do the door panels, the full interior, convertible top, brakes, all lights, new rubber etc

I may actually have a second Fiat on the road in a couple of weeks. Damn...I can't believe I bought this thing in October 2008....

and soon, may drive it.

Good progress

• Installed used distributor
  • Installed exhaust and intake manifolds
  • Reworked fuel rail with new rubber and reman injectors
  • Installed used fuel tank with new sender and new fuel lines
  • Removed cooling package and stripped radiator to send off to be checked and cleaned this week
I got pretty deep into this project but I can see daylight again. A couple more weekends and I should be able to fire it off.

Finally got to removing the carpet and tackling the nasty carpet padding under it. It was DISGUSTING! The car smelled REALLY bad while I tried to de-nastify it. I also chipped away the noise reducing stuff in the drivers side. It was worse and was holding in some major stink. Of course found some rust but nothing major :thumbsup:. I wasn't planning on the same amount of work on the passenger side but I think I will get to that soon.

dry ice

Did you try the dry ice trick Tim? I can't find the thread right now, but some folks dump dry ice in the foot well. Wait a few minutes and then shatter the tar with a hammer.

I will keep searching, but "Search" is telling me the "dry ice" is too short or too common to search on. :(

Did you try the dry ice trick Tim? I can't find the thread right now, but some folks dump dry ice in the foot well. Wait a few minutes and then shatter the tar with a hammer.

I will keep searching, but "Search" is telling me the "dry ice" is too short or too common to search on. :(

I recall a thread on it too. I might try it for the passenger side.

Thanks!

A while back I made a charger socket holder out of a block of wood and rigged it under the dash, along the right side of the center console, this to hold my iPod holder/charger. Works fine. Is reversible, if a bit "crude". I also ordered this gizmo because I thought it'd cool to rig up some lights I have and have extra "ports" for chargers and such and be able to turn them on and off via the little control box. Silly probably. Not sure where I can tuck the little toggle box, there isn't much room for such things in the cockpit.

Friday night my X broke down in Hollywood

Going to Bob's Big Boy in Hollywood I ve got out of traction and tow the car back home. I though it was the clutch.
Saturday Morning I found out that the left axle got loose, all bolts were totally unscrew except one that was broken.
I screw all back and the car is now running again! Fortunately no damage at all.:)

Going to Bob's Big Boy in Hollywood I ve got out of traction and tow the car back home. I though it was the clutch.
Saturday Morning I found out that the left axle got loose, all bolts were totally unscrew except one that was broken.
I screw all back and the car is now running again! Fortunately no damage at all.:)

Never fun when you have to tow an X especially one as cool looking as yours :(
Curious what the behavior was right before you lost traction? Did the car rev funny or sort of shimmy? I had this happen to me once many years ago while at an auto-x event where the night before we did a clutch replace and someone (uh, hmmm!~) didn't tighten down the axle bolts properly.

Wheels Stuff

Picked up a set of CD16 wheels and plain chrome center caps (to customize and make into Abarth center caps!).
Dave

Back