What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

I don't do anything...they never have to go into storage when there isn't any winter weather. 🤷‍♂️ But the sun does more than its share of damage to vehicles. 👎

What’s the effect of not depressing the clutch or brakes for four months?
So far none for either car (or my other three cars in storage in garages). Moisture is the issue, it is why I mentioned the need to put the car away on a dry day to limit the moisture in the enclosure and then the outer barrier to keep the rain and snow out.

A clutch can rust onto the flywheel. So far I have never had such a thing happen but I store my cars in the driest place I can.

A car sitting in the weather without cover will have the discs and calipers likely rusting up notably. One of our Elements hasn’t really been run in a year and getting it to move took a bit but the discs cleaned up. In the past I have had an alternator freeze up from lack of use on another Element which sat for an extended period.

Cars under cover where it is not damp/wet will do just fine.

So far none for either car (or my other three cars in storage in garages). Moisture is the issue, it is why I mentioned the need to put the car away on a dry day to limit the moisture in the enclosure and then the outer barrier to keep the rain and snow out.

A clutch can rust onto the flywheel. So far I have never had such a thing happen but I store my cars in the driest place I can.

A car sitting in the weather without cover will have the discs and calipers likely rusting up notably. One of our Elements hasn’t really been run in a year and getting it to move took a bit but the discs cleaned up. In the past I have had an alternator freeze up from lack of use on another Element which sat for an extended period.

So sitting in a garage in 50-60f weather, not being driven, won't harm either?

My clutch has got stuck several times over the years. I've always been able to free it up by driving it. You need to be good at shifting without a clutch! I do.beleive moisture is the culprit. It's been stored many places over the years. It's only happened when left outside, and when I had it in a storage container for the winter. Condensation builds in the container causing "container rain".

Weather aside, letting a vintage car sit unused for extended periods can (and probibly will) cause issues with things like hydraulic seals, gaskets, hoses, etc. This seems particularly true on Fiats (among others), where you will find failed master cylinders, calipers, and slave cylinder. We've discussed the possibility of the seal materials being substandard, particularly with replacement parts. And please do not ask "how long can it sit before that happens", as there is no answer.

So sitting in a garage in 50-60f weather, not being driven, won't harm either?
No, it really shouldn’t be an issue. That can be our normal weather for several months :). In your case I would remove the negative lead from the battery. If you live near the water you likely want to have a cover over the car, salty fog can be a strong negative.

"It was 50 degrees in NH today, so I took the X to get the new inspection sticker. 1 of only a few times I've driven it in Dec. in 33 years."

I once had a year where I drove my Alfa Spider with the top down at least once each month including January and February - NJ in the late 80's. Otherwise I have always had to lay up the "toy" cars for a few months each year.

decided to pull transmission , going to take apart and see whats needed , little hard to get into second , where is the best place to source parts . thanks, also have bearing kit for front struts and front end kit to install ,

Carpet back in today and test the results of the footwell lighting and mood lighting. Really happy with the way the blue highlights pick up.
4E285234-3214-4EDB-A9FF-963F33C3E85F.jpeg
33206DFB-FC79-4760-9B0F-4CD4D74200C5.jpeg

Pulled out transmission today , next step clean and take apart ,

Attachments

• 91D1304A-4A00-4BF4-8ED8-7E4B66649531.jpeg
    91D1304A-4A00-4BF4-8ED8-7E4B66649531.jpeg
    226.3 KB · Views: 70
The footwell courtesy lighting is a pretty std twin chip t10 led only because I didn’t have any Osram or Phillip’s t10’s spare and the mood light is a Landrover part primarily door illumination LED but any low level lighting led would do the trick or another t10 or t5 led with a resistor inline to give you a low level light effect.
Pretty much what I had sitting around as you can’t see any of the installation which is really what I was after☺️
Passenger Side installation T10 and LR door illumination LED
C15D928C-D9F3-4E5F-870E-A7A58A1C90BD.jpeg

Driver Side custom aluminium mount with T10 and LR door light
3ABA1A59-6CBD-4321-9132-92A72E4A978C.jpeg

Twin Chip T10 footwell courtesy light (door open/interior light switch activated)
6B7AFF13-A50D-4670-B651-9E2A05AFAA6B.jpeg

Footwell Mood light activated on exterior lights activation.
FCCA88B6-AEDA-49C7-BE5E-F68F46C7BC38.jpeg

What did I do this week? Finally removed the trunks hidden storage cover, and wow, the insulation is bone dry and looks like it was new a few months ago, as opposed to years old.
Also, in a ‘74, what’s the purpose of the black, vinyl slab that’s on the vertical wall…sound insulation?
Mine!’s seen better days.
DA5A22D5-CFCD-454C-9CD9-BA0A5F07FE6F.jpeg
FAC3AAE6-0092-4AFB-A80F-6054F64959C7.jpeg
41706085-A964-42FE-B3FA-8A0A1114ACF6.jpeg

What did I do this week? Finally removed the trunks hidden storage cover, and wow, the insulation is bone dry and looks like it was new a few months ago, as opposed to years old.
Also, in a ‘74, what’s the purpose of the black, vinyl slab that’s on the vertical wall…sound insulation?
Mine!’s seen better days.
View attachment 68771 View attachment 68772 View attachment 68773
From the way your "slab" is damaged, I would guess that the lid support got unclipped from the bracket on the firewall, and then the lid got closed. I think the purpose is to have a token bit of insulation between the trunk contents and the exhaust manifold and down pipe.

Finally removed the trunks hidden storage cover, and wow, the insulation is bone dry and looks like it was new a few months ago, as opposed to years old.
I guarantee it was new a few months or so ago, and not the original insulation. WD guys must have replaced it. ;)

The footwell courtesy lighting is a pretty std twin chip t10 led only because I didn’t have any Osram or Phillip’s t10’s spare and the mood light is a Landrover part primarily door illumination LED but any low level lighting led would do the trick or another t10 or t5 led with a resistor inline to give you a low level light effect.
Pretty much what I had sitting around as you can’t see any of the installation which is really what I was after☺️
Passenger Side installation T10 and LR door illumination LED
View attachment 68747
Driver Side custom aluminium mount with T10 and LR door light
View attachment 68748
Twin Chip T10 footwell courtesy light (door open/interior light switch activated)
View attachment 68749
Footwell Mood light activated on exterior lights activation.
View attachment 68751
Great work 👍🥂

Back