What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Getting ready for complete color change. Scrubbed the frunk with 3M "scotchbright" yesterday. Today is taping-off all wiring, and likely scrubbing down the engine compartment.
Is this going to be a DIY? If so any insight into how you're doing it would be great to see.

Yesterday, I decided to take a drive in my X and get some gasoline. The last visit to a gas station was in February 2022. It had a few gallons from draining my generator gas tanks but the average age of the fuel in the car was starting to get up there and the running of the engine was starting to reflect it.

I had hardly driven the car at all this year due to a leaking shift rod seal. My original plan was to replace it in the spring but an accident with a chain saw resulted in a major delay of that plan. I found out that if you pull hard enough on a starter cord and the ratchet mechanism slips, you can come close to ripping your arm off. After my torn rotator cuff and bicep muscle healed enough, I was able to get the shift rod seal in by the end of August, and got a few miles of driving in.

Back to the fillup: The car took 9.5 gallons which did a good job of diluting the old stuff. After a few miles, the engine performance returned to normal. It was good to get a nice ride in.

IMG_8199.jpeg

Slowly starting to take pieces off while I source a replacement engine. Taking stuff apart is the fun bit… putting it back together… we will see!

If anyone needs anything for a 1300, let me know. I will be listing powertrain things for sale when I get a chance but who knows when that’ll be. Either way the whole drivetrain is for sale basically. 1300, supposedly has aftermarket cam but haven’t confirmed, 32 DATRA carb. Alternator is shot but new starter and it ran pretty good since I’ve had it.

Reactions: 86X
Last CnC of 2023, figured why not. Parked up next to a very nice super charged Marauder.
20231209_084200.jpg20231209_084209.jpg

An r34 just pulled in next to me. Nice.

20231209_085424.jpg

The Marauder left and Maclaren took its spot. I picked a good location today.

20231209_091635.jpg

Last edited:
Since it was above 50 deg today, I decided to take the new X for a spin around the block. Clutch is weak, brakes drag and barely work. It shifted thru the gears fine & I did rev the engine to 5k with no issues. All the electronics seems to function so far. Hopefully I can get the 1/4 pulled back & get this one back on the road.

Attachments

• 20231124_153555.jpg
    20231124_153555.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 20231126_141513.jpg
    20231126_141513.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 20231124_145215.jpg
    20231124_145215.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 50
In for a penny...
Reusing the rad catch tank lower bracket from inside the engine compartment to mount [it] inside fuel tank space. Cut up the bracket, flipped it over... Going to make a removable cover for the tank for inside the cockpit.
And look at all that wonderful space! Put a floor in...Room for all kinds of goodies.

0-2.jpg
0-3.jpg
0-5.jpg
0.jpg

In for a penny...
Reusing the rad catch tank lower bracket from inside the engine compartment to mount [it] inside fuel tank space. Cut up the bracket, flipped it over... Going to make a removable cover for the tank for inside the cockpit.
And look at all that wonderful space! Put a floor in...Room for all kinds of goodies.

View attachment 79557View attachment 79558View attachment 79559View attachment 79560
Just make sure you will still have access to fill it when needed. ;)

I am guessing he has the filler out thru what was the fuel tank port into the engine bay?
It does look like that's the spot he is holding it at. My raceX had its reservoir mounted there and the fuel cell was in the frunk.

IMG_2091.JPG

Replaced the broken Oil Slinger on the dizzy that Jim D so graciously donated, with a new one that I ordered from Chris O.

So..for the record. .. are we to assume that the new oil slinger you got from Obert was indeed a perfect replacement ?

Last edited:
Back