What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

I think I could have maybe got a square rear plate, but I found a way to mount my plates in the UK that I think works. My front plate is mounted to the ally girder front bumper. What I did to make space was to move the plastic mouldings 1 bolt outwards. This then gave me space to mount the plate. This way I don't loose any air flow into the radiator:)
Do you have a photo of that solution? I have not had the same success as Björn at convincing the Swedish authorities that the X was designed for a US size plate, and my current front plate solution is sketchy

A proper sized plate that fits the intended space between the rubber strips on my stock late-model bumper would be a good solution for me, but I recognize it's not a good solution for everyone
Agreed - for those later bumpers but for an early car with bumperettes/over-riders..... Here is Australia, I can get "Euro" plates which are much smaller than the standard Australian plate. They will fit nicely on my 80. But Australian 78s [I have a couple] are bumperette.

Started the bonded title process for Dominick. First step is a ordering a search by the DMV for last owner of record. This happens in both Nebraska and New Mexico as the car came from south of Albuquerque.
Many years ago I purchased a Scorpion from a southern California junk yard. It was completely intact but suffered an engine fire. It was destined to have a salvage title. But fate had me moving to Colorado where I restored the car and bonded for a clean Colorado title. Soon thereafter I sold it to someone in southern California where it was issued a clean California title and remains there today.

Today I completed the miserable multi-day task of replacing both clutch and brake master cylinders in my ‘74 and ‘85 X1/9s and rebuilding a spare assembly. The pressure bleeder definitely helped purge the air from the system. The brass sleeved cylinders in the ‘85 lasted 20+ years and only required a light honing and fresh seals.

Last edited:
Many years ago
Won't fly today. Insurance salvage vehicles go into a federal/national database for quite a few years now. It's where Carfax, AutoCheck, etc. pull their info. Years ago title washing was very common (in Alabama it was a cottage industry), but those days are long gone. Massive number of southern flood vehicles kept turning up all over the country and burning consumers so the government was compelled to act.

Today I completed the miserable multi-day task of replacing both clutch and brake master cylinders in my ‘74 and ‘85 X1/9s and rebuilding a spare assembly. The pressure bleeder definitely helped purge the air from the system. The brass sleeved cylinders in the ‘85 lasted 20+ years and only required a light honing and fresh seals.
Which bleeder did you use?

Do you have a photo of that solution? I have not had the same success as Björn at convincing the Swedish authorities that the X was designed for a US size plate, and my current front plate solution is sketchy
Here is a photo with my old number plate. Please excuse the paint work. Respray is very much needed but you can see what I did here.
1 Leave the driveway trimmed.jpg

Won't fly today. Insurance salvage vehicles go into a federal/national database for quite a few years now. It's where Carfax, AutoCheck, etc. pull their info. Years ago title washing was very common (in Alabama it was a cottage industry), but those days are long gone. Massive number of southern flood vehicles kept turning up all over the country and burning consumers so the government was compelled to act.
Only if it gets into the database. If it's not reported to your insurance & you private sell it, it could still be done.

Only if it gets into the database. If it's not reported to your insurance & you private sell it, it could still be done.
If a third party (insurer, dismantler, manufacturer) is not involved with a title status changing event, the title remains clear. Vehicle owners are unable to brand a title, so if you damage the car and never report it to insurance or send it to a wrecking yard, the title was clear before and it remains clear when you sell it.

It is quite easy to convince the Swedish authorities actually. The new standard EU plate is too long to fit between the tail lights. They still refused me a small front plate but that was easily solved by ordering an extra back plate a couple of days after I received the first one. Maybe you can use my registration number as reference if they still refuse you the small pack plate.

Jimmy and Mark - the Alfetta came out of NM too w/o title. I trade a friend some seats and syncronizers for the shell. He had purchased it from a salvage yard for the engine (bill of sale). Nebraska has a very well laid out process to get a bonded title. You need to search for the last owner of record in both NE and NM. In the Alfetta's case there was someone in NM on the books. I sent the certified letter and of course it was returned. At that point I could apply for a bonded title. Pretty simple.

I'm hoping the X will be similar. If not, the adventure continues.

Both these cars have been off the road since the early 90's if not longer. I suspect that predates the national data base and therefore they may never have been in it.

Both these cars have been off the road since the early 90's if not longer. I suspect that predates the national data base and therefore they may never have been in it.
The loophole in the system is that the database was set up to require a 17 digit VIN. Not sure if they have another way to handle older cars? The other loophole is that most, if not all DMVs purge their vehicle data after 7 to 10 years of inactivity. I can't speak for Nebraska, but California info drops out of the system after 7 years, so it becomes a brand new day. Here it requires a VIN verification and a statement of facts outlining how you came into possession of the car, pay some fees and get a clean title. In my experience here with titling old stuff with no paperwork, if the system doesn't flag the VIN, nobody at DMV researches anything. They don't care to work too hard, just pay your fees, taxes, and don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out.

Found my battery drain. My car sat for most of a decade and after getting back on the road a couple of years ago I've noticed that I need to keep it on a battery tender if it's going to sit for more than a couple of days, which it usually does. Can you find the relay that's always drawing power:

1705894821375.png

It turns out a younger and less smart me installed relays on the power windows that are constantly pulling power. Should be fixed now...

Found my battery drain. My car sat for most of a decade and after getting back on the road a couple of years ago I've noticed that I need to keep it on a battery tender if it's going to sit for more than a couple of days, which it usually does. Can you find the relay that's always drawing power:

View attachment 80888

It turns out a younger and less smart me installed relays on the power windows that are constantly pulling power. Should be fixed now...
Nice use of tech to pin point the probem...Kudos!

Nice day here in Fort Lauderdale so took both the ‘75 X and the ‘91 164S out for some exercise. Tomorrow the X goes to C&C with a for sale sign.
DB5FCD73-62A7-4DF4-B86A-90B7CCEC9746.jpeg

Reactions: 86X
I picked at a scab. 😂

I knew Dominick had a bunch of bondo in the nose and fender. Now I have a better understanding of just how bad it is. Both these panels will need to be cut off and replaced. The inner panels will be straightened a bit more and will be fine. Still not too bad for a 50 year old $200 car. :)

1706479075804.png

I also had the opportunity to install the side vents and one of the tail lightes that Brett sent. Makes a big difference not having broken plastic on the side and the old tail lights were so sun faded! Plus I have a thing for amber turn indicators.

1706479261130.png

1706479322775.png

Lastly, i loaded al seven of the 13" wheels that came with the car into Buford (my truck). Only one held air, and it has a slow leak. I'll get the rotten tires demounted, work the best of the rims with a hammer to get them "straight" and then mount the cheapest 13" tires I can find. I'm not sure i'm going to stay with the small wheels and really just need something to roll it around the barn for now.

Pretty good weekend - expecially since I'm "not workng on this one until the Alfetta is finished" 😂

Back