What do you drive in winter if the X is in storage?

mityfun

True Classic
I drive a WRX daily but my winter fun car is a 1991 Suzuki Alto Works with an intercooled/turbo 660 cc engine and right hand drive...they are quite rare only recently eligible for importation to Canada and not yet legal in the USA. This is a TINY car...think the original Mini Cooper size.

Here is a video of my daughters boyfriend (from Florida) having fun with it in his first Canadian snow experience...which was actually a thaw period with hardly any snow!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUY0YmxTMMY"]YouTube - Alto Works[/ame]

What do you drive for fun in the winter? (for those that have winter). lol

Paul

actually, my daily driver can be pretty fun...

CleanAudi3.jpg

1994 Audi S4.
2.2 liter, 5 cyl, 20 valve, turbo (RS2'ed) > 300 whp
5spd manual trans
torsen locking center diff
torsen locking rear diff
quattro
4000lb family sedan

2002 Volkswagen Jetta TDI

125 hp and 240 lb/ft of torque (at 1900 RPM) 40-50 MPG (43 average). Best car I've ever owned and faster than the X, but handles like a greased beach ball.

IMAG0086.jpg

ok, just in care you were wondering, a 2.0 16v bottom end from a passat is dirt cheap, and a 16v 1.8 head from a Mk2 Scirocco along with all the hoses and wiring bolts right up to the block, and right up to the factory rabbit holes -n- everything and works with CIS-E, and will make your bunny HOT fun!

jus saying

This has been my winter car until this year. An automatic Spider 2000. (This is California, after all!):
Picture028.jpg

This is my "new" winter car, a one owner 1988 Toyota 4X4:
DSCF0012.jpg

Kinda hesitant to admit my X is my winter driver, unless I know it's gunna be quite nasty, then I'll drive the '98 Intrepid. Don't shoot me, the X just isn't nice enough to "preserve". I figure, yes the salt is horrible for it but I'll wash it.....eventually. If I get the body and paint redone, then no, no more winters. I bought the thing to commute in so, well, I do.
I'm calling on a '80 TR8 listed on Craigslst tomorrow, my son turns 16 tomorrow, we could use another car and I'd love to get another wedge.

'97 Jeep TJ. Actually my daily driver in ALL seasons since I haven't had a driver Fiat since '05. Getting there, though!
davesa.jpg

HA! I knew you would recognize that place. One of your cars is in there somewhere, too - maybe not in that shot, but in one of the many others I have of that day...

Sure, but it's not easy without side effects that are undesirable for a daily driver. The MK4 chassis just has some serious issues in the suspension geometry department.

Oh, I know. I autocrossed a Mk3 GTI for several years in Stock Class - SCCA with custom valved Koni's. :eek::eek:

But that being said, camber bolts in teh front and teh Shine Suspension (doesn't lower car very much) and a BIG FRONT BAR really did wonders for my buddies Mk4 Jetta.

Fiats are great in the snow.

I'm mostly driving the Benz 560 SL this winter. Seems the German winter build on this car adapts nicely to Southern ice storm weather. If it gets worse, I drive the dually, heavy in the back with extra tires, goes great. But mostly the Benz this winter.

One of the funnest things I've ever done, and continue to do, is: when there is snow and ice on the roads, take the top down on the Spider, crank up the heat, dress in layers, get a hot cup of coffee or cocoa, and go sliding around for hours. The Spider and X go very well on slick surfaces, particularly the X because the weight is right over the drive kind've like front wheel drive at the rear though the front does wander much more, making it all the more fun.

You California posters have me thinking what I would drive as a daily if I lived in such a nice climate...hmmmn

... and it must be nice to not have to deal with salt and the other toxic road brines on our roads and the associated rust.

Paul

Paul, there's only one Calif poster.
And he's driving a 23 year old 4x4 mini-truck!

OOPs ... i thought both Eastep and Mark were from Cali...but now I see Eastep is Pa not Ca... my mistake

.... but I hear ya about the 4 X 4 in California....doesn't compute in my mind either....haha.

cheers

Paul

Back