Kepi04

Low Mileage
Hi, I'm new to this forum but I'm fixing my dads old fiat x1/9 that was sitting in a machine shed for around 20 years it's a 1987. And the gearshift isn't connected to the gear box and I found the linkage problem but I have no idea as to where to find a replace. See the pictures below. Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• PXL_20210924_173043309.jpg
    PXL_20210924_173043309.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 183
  • PXL_20210924_173046868.jpg
    PXL_20210924_173046868.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 170
Hi, I'm new to this forum but I'm fixing my dads old fiat x1/9 that was sitting in a machine shed for around 20 years it's a 1987. And the gearshift isn't connected to the gear box and I found the linkage problem but I have no idea as to where to find a replace. See the pictures below. Thanks for your time.
The part circled is often referred to as the "lollipop". Several vendors have this in stock, including Fiat Plus and Midwest-Bayless.

You can also find a list of vendors in the Wiki.

Lollipop.jpg

Welcome to Xweb Kepi04! :)

I am just west of STL and always happy to find more midwestern X owners. 👍

Great that you are getting his car back together. And welcome to the forum.
A good thread to review for general information as you go through the car is this overview for a first time buyer:

I assume the failed shift linkage part is the round rubber and metal joint that Bjorn circled? It is not uncommon for that to fail. Replacing it is fairly straightforward, unbolt and replace. However there are two things to also consider. One, there is a bushing at one end of that linkage that also commonly wears out. It is a pivot bolt assembly and also available new as a set (not expensive). Replacing it at the same time may be a good idea. The second thing is the linkage requires adjustment when reassembling it. And pay attention to the orientation of the spacers, washers, and order of things when taking them apart. This has been discussed in several previous threads. A recent one had additional links....hopefully someone can find it and post???

Here is the bushing assembly I referred to:

And Bjorn already linked the "lollipop" part:

Review the Factory Workshop Manual for details on the job:

Jeff beat me to it, was going to say get the Linkage bolt bushing as well, I just replaced these pieces in my car 85. What part of Illinois you from, I'm just North of Chicago.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for being so helpful and giving me all these resources to use and for all the tips!

Jeff beat me to it, was going to say get the Linkage bolt bushing as well, I just replaced these pieces in my car 85. What part of Illinois you from, I'm just North of Chicago.
I live about an hour or two northeast of Springfield.

Back