what socket size for removing the crankshaft pulley nut?

Not sure I get this - you either need to remove the pulley or remove the belts on the pulley to get the timing belt onto the sprockets, don't you?
Yes, the alternator/water pump belt has to come off.

On my non-AC cars I cut the alternator belt (they’re cheap so I’m replacing it when I do the timing belt anyways), install the new timing belt, then install a new alternator belt.

But from your photo it seems you have an air conditioner? That’s a different belt arrangement that I’m not familiar with - it may be different enough that my method won’t work.

Michael Oxman I believe that picture is of an AC setup with two belts on the crank pulley. I have the same setup and just replaced my timing belt and you can just barely slip it behind the crank pulley. I can attest that it can be done but it would be much much easier without the crank pulley in the way. Next time I do it I will remove the crank pulley. Like Bernice said you can then check the oil seal and clean everything. My car is extremely grungy in that area.

Not sure I get this - you either need to remove the pulley or remove the belts on the pulley to get the timing belt onto the sprockets, don't you?
Yes, but whenever I replace the timing belt, I also replace the other belts, so all the belts come off anyway. Like EricH, I don't remove the crank pulley.

Another thing worth noting: The rightmost pulley in your photo is for the aux shaft, which drives the oil pump and the distributor (unless you have a cam driven distributor). This pulley turns quite easily. With the engine in the car you can't see much of the aux pulley, so it is near impossible to get the new timing belt on without disturbing the aux pulley. This will alter your ignition timing, so count on setting ignition timing after you are done with the timing belt change.

For the couple of minutes you need to get it off and how much easier it is to see you got the timing belt in the right place, I remove the pulley. It also allows you to see if there is any leakage of oil at the seal. That’s me.

I am with Bjorn, I replaced the other belts at the same time.

I bought this 38mm oil filter socket to rotate the crank with a ratchet, or to use with a 3/8" drive adapter on an impact wrench. Nice and shallow for the thin crankshaft nut, saves the back of my hand from whacking the chassis. Works really well with just the right amount of offset to get a good purchase on the nut. It took forever to arrive, but it made it through the covid gauntlet. No more slipping off the nut trying to turn it with a trailer hitch box wrench I cut in half!

1595391219939.png

Back