What to do with the roof? What has been done?

Discussion in 'Discussion Forum' started by Bobkat, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Bobkat

Bobkat 1979 x1/9

The side scoops could be designed to stay inside the x b pillars also. Make if functional but clean.

Mike Schofield and Dr.Jeff like this.
  2. Bobkat

Bobkat 1979 x1/9

So I really should find a second roof to fool around with. I will be scanning the back of the car for some modifications but I still find it easier to work with real parts to work out ideas.

3. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

Bobkat likes this.
  4. AKimball92

AKimball92 True Classic

Here is a pic of an X1/9 doing what I think you are talking about. This is one of my work desktop backgrounds.
    Bertone-Fiat_X1_9_mp342_pic_85170.jpg

Mike Schofield and Bobkat like this.
  5. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

I don't think that is quite what I envisioned.

For the rear lip idea, I was thinking a small longitudinal band across the back edge of the top that directs some airflow downward. Along the general lines of this, but more refined, smaller, and sculpted to the X's top (see arrows):

Carbon-Fiber-FRP-Top-Roof-Spoiler-Wing-Lip-Fit-For-Subaru-Impreza-WRX-02-07.jpg

And for the "B" pillar scoops, I'm referring to this aspect of the RS2000, added to the sides of the X's targa bar:

ford-rs200-evolution-1986.jpg

Bobkat likes this.
  6. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

I've seen that pic, great car. If you look at the rear pillars, it has a plexi rear window that extends back over part of the engine bay (red arrow). That works in combination with the large roof scoop. The air is brought from the top and into the extended rear cover to direct it over the engine (lime arrow). Very effective for bringing cool air to the engine bay, but a bit too much for what I had in mind.

Bertone-Fiat_X1_9_mp342_pic_85170.jpg

Bobkat likes this.
  7. Bobkat

Bobkat 1979 x1/9

is there any more info on this car anywhere?

8. Bobkat

Bobkat 1979 x1/9

I like Dr. Jeffs and AKimball92 ideas so worked out a little sketch. Maybe extending the B pillars like the icsunonove and adding a stratos style wing to direct some air down and then remake the engine cover with some louvers.

x_wing and louvers_sm.jpg

lookforjoe and Dr.Jeff like this.
  9. Daniel Forest

Daniel Forest True Classic

Just Google Mike Kason x19...
    [​IMG]

AKimball92 likes this.
  10. Bobkat

Bobkat 1979 x1/9

Found this one off Miura targa. This looks like ideas that would work on the X. two sides scoops on the pillars maybe some louvers between? Also I was wondering how to get more air over the radiator and this would also make an elegant solution.

lamborghini-miura-roadster.jpg lamborghini-miura-roadster2.jpg

11. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

The Miura is one of my all time favorite cars. I have a bunch of photos I took of various design details that I love about it. Even on the stock version, those side scoops are terrific. I think they could be incorporated into the X's stock B-pillar/targa bar.

I posted a bunch of different side scoops styles I like from other great car designs in the referenced "design" thread. Many of them are located down lower on the side panels, especially on more modern models, but some are up on the piller. However those typically have long rearward extending pillars, with more panel space for a big scoop running horizontally. For the X I'd prefer to keep it shorter and have the scoops more vertical.

If you built a lengthened rear extension for the X's B-pillar ("fastback" look), how about a clear cover in between them over the engine? I have some good examples of that on various supercars...great look.

Bobkat likes this.
  12. mkmini

mkmini True Classic

It’s late, so I’ll just post these picture as reply to few previous comments.
    5AE3D694-B94B-4962-ADFF-1D3643B242BB.jpeg 502FC94F-315E-489B-B602-2810C8BC9D94.png

artz1731 and Bobkat like this.
  13. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

I'd love to see how that red car turns out. The pillar scoop (yellow arrow) is exactly what we've been referring to, but the large side scoop (black arrow) has been the primary topic in the other "design" thread.

5AE3D694-B94B-4962-ADFF-1D3643B242BB.jpg

Bobkat likes this.
  14. Bobkat

Bobkat 1979 x1/9

is there any more info on that red car?

15. mkmini

mkmini True Classic

Saved this photo ~year ago. Am not at PC. You could try to searc on google by image. Have no idea where I found it

16. mkmini

mkmini True Classic

no results on google, maube I found it on facebook or instagram, they aren’t connected to google I think.

17. lookforjoe

lookforjoe True Classic

I like them also - I don't see any way of making scoops in the targa sail unless you widen the whole side of the car to get the lines to flow, which appears to be what is going on with the red X on the dolly. Not sure about the way they have had to bring the extension all the way from the back of the front fenders to get it to flow - would need o see more overall pics from various angles. After a point, it's just not an X anymore. Dallara is already borderline IMO - but does retain enough of the stock panel lines to keep the "feel" of an X.

18. lookforjoe

lookforjoe True Classic

Going OT - his pics illustrate why the Dallara needs the side bars and pinstripes (I will get around to eventually) - they help break up the nose extension especially

[​IMG]

mkmini likes this.
  19. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

I haven't tried any cardboard mock-ups or anything to see, but I'm thinking the scoops could come out to the sides as they come down and then curve back toward the body as they reach the quarter panels. Sort of like this:

ring-brothers-adrnln-10 - Copy.jpg

Or maybe don't try to sculpt it into the body lines, and make it a 'add-on' performance scoop. Something like this:

058 - Copy.JPG 059 - Copy.JPG

Bobkat likes this.
  20. Bobkat

Bobkat 1979 x1/9

This is what I am thnking. I would like to keep it kind of classic looking. The Miura targa has the scoops coming out fairly far but still come back in to a narrow body Miura. I think like the Targa Miura the fastback look can be achieved by making them an add on not integrated into the body. I would be out in the garage scanning and taking better photos but it is -32 in there today.