What "WERE" the hot tires in 185/60/13?

Kevin B (Asheville NC)

Administrator
Ok, I am calling tire manufacturers regarding the lack of 185/60/13 and using the strength of FLU's 600+ members with over 1,000 Fiat / Lancias on the road to implore that manufactures keep sporty 185/60/13's available for us.

What were the hot tires that we would be interested in seeing back?

I have Yoko AVSi and A539 (never available here, but are currently available elsewhere) and the A008 (currently made in 12" for classic mini (the is the P road going version, not the R version))

What else?

I am running Falken ZE-912 not available in the US tires

They are good not great.

I want back the Yokohama A509s. They were the best in my experience.

Keep trying.

Todd:

I feel for ya having (basically) the decision made for you on the 912s, but with me experience with 2 other Falken products, there will never be a Falken product on my x.

I have already spoken to Yoko today. and will be calling others today and tomorrow. I am working through the ameture motorsports end on this (SCCA Street Touring classes require street tired (DOT UTQ rating 140 or greater) as a way to show that there is a greater demand for performance oriented tread patterns and compounds...

I have A509s from Canada, they are good

I had A008's -and they rocked! But they only lasted about 4000 miles (plus i drove like a nut back then, just ask Danny!)

The Yokohama AVS Intermediates...

...were decent tires. They stopped selling them here about four years ago, I think.

I would love to have the AVS Intermediates back

I would buy at least two sets. Possibly three, especially if it were a special limited run.

A509s would be my preferred tire in 185/60-13 ...if I had a choice. But I bet I'd be pretty happy with AVS Intermediates. I have 14" AVSs on my Scorp and our Fiat Spider and they are a good all around tire, far better than the Sumitomos.

John O.

Just finished a discussion with a friend who works fro Cooper tires. They got rid of all their 13" machinery a few years ago. Do not even own the equip to build 13" tires anymore.

:(

I will keep trying.

Couldn't you guys get together and do a "bulk buy?" We had to do the same for KYB shock a few years ago, we couldn't get them anywhere else apart from the USA. Got 96 units all in at the time. This company will deliver, and have deals for "bulk buys"..

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl

I've always found Toyo's to be very good.

yikes...ok then

just have them use some of their 15 inch tire making gear and whip up some 185/45 15's with a firm sidewall, good grip, and decent wear along with great aggressive looks - all for under $75 per tire - and I'm good for a few sets, anyone else?

Seriously though, if 13's go away, this tire size on a 15x6.5 rim would be a great way to go. So far the only tire (tyre) of this size is the Nankang and the cost to get them here is crazy high - like this....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...r_id=213278438752&ua=WVI7&itemid=280435680990

Last edited:
Tires

Probably the all time best were Bridgestones.
In the US, RE71 and RE71R (my all time favorite). In Europe, the RE92 (awesome). All discontinued.

The last tires I bought in the US were AVSi. The very really good and quite wide for a 185.
Here in Germany, I had Dunlop SP2000, they suck, completely undriveable in the rain.
Currently I run A509, they are good. Personally, I liked the AVSi better.

Kevin here are the A539 stampings...

From Europe I posted for someone a while back when we were having the "tire police" discussion :lol:
A509 must be similar.

A539s...
DSC00174.jpg

DSC00173.jpg

CF1s...

DSC00175.jpg

Possible to import the A539?

Is it possible for one of the vendors to legally import and sell the Yokohama A539?

If not, is it possible for individuals to legally import and use them?

I am getting conflicting info here on that.

An e-mail conversation with a Yokohama rep (autocrosser) in the states says they (the A539) is absolutly NOT DOT legal for use in US.

That means a tire vendor would not be able to sell you a new set of these in the US.

That being said, tire shops install non DOT legal tires (think race tires, farm tires, etc) all the time.

Soooooo, it seems that in order to get a set of A539's you would have to order them from overseas, have them shipped to you, and you have them installed.

Now, for using them, the biggest issue will be your local Inspection Station (if you have such a thing). No DOT registration on tire means no leagl for road use in US. These is also a book published annually that lists ALL currently DOT registered tires for a given year. This being said, I have never had one of my safety inspectors check for this.

Back