What "WERE" the hot tires in 185/60/13?

What about the Yokohama A048.

I've just purchased a set from the U.K and although I haven't driven on them yet because of the snow they look amazing and are DOT approved even though they are an 'R' compound tire.

The A048 is sold in the U.S but not in a 13" and in the U.K they come in the 185/60/13 and the 205/60/13. I bought mine from Demon Tweeks.

'PeteX1/9

My vote is for

Goodyear Eagle GT's. Used to come in 13" sizes many moons ago. Super sticky tire though It would only last 10k miles or so. Nice looking sidewall as well.

You have a better chance of getting...

Getting struck by lightning if you are worried inspectors or police looking to see for US DOT markings on yur rubber :nod:

If you have the financial means...good with google translator and not blown away by the dollar conversion eBay Germany is your friend.

Now, for using them, the biggest issue will be your local Inspection Station (if you have such a thing). No DOT registration on tire means no leagl for road use in US. These is also a book published annually that lists ALL currently DOT registered tires for a given year. This being said, I have never had one of my safety inspectors check for this.

Wow:thumbsup:

I don't know if you were trying to be rude or if it just came across like that. I was merely making a suggestion about an available DOT tire that is still available.

I can't comment on how long they will last yet but they don't appear any worse then the infamous Yokohama 008R from the nineties. A couple local X'ers had the 008's on theirs and they got between 5 and 7000kms of use which would be four years or so of driving for me which suits me just fine.

I thought this forum was about sharing information about a common interest and learning from one another not about personal attacks, I may competetively show my car but that doesn't mean I don't drive it.

'PeteX1/9

Pete...great choice!

A set of R rated tires is half way to ultimate tire set.
The other half is a set of round/black rim protectors.
Two sets for two purposes.
You're there my man!

Only thing missing in X tires these days is a trackable street tire.
Which are mediocre at both tasks.
Just my opinion, based on running trackdays and canyon carving over 40 years.

While there are rude people in any forum,
I assure you Greg in Conn is not one of them here.
Polar opposite in fact...one of the great contributors.

I think he was making the point that some folks drive their cars as dailys, which is to say more than a couple thousand miles a year. I don't think it was meant as a personal attack.

I don't know if you were trying to be rude or if it just came across like that. I was merely making a suggestion about an available DOT tire that is still available.

SNIP

I thought this forum was about sharing information about a common interest and learning from one another not about personal attacks, I may competetively show my car but that doesn't mean I don't drive it.

'PeteX1/9

Sorry Pete no intent to offend!

That's a big internet problem and how silly arguments start. Wanna talk oil!!!:bored:

Just with a 60 tread rating 048 is basically a slick and with my different needs wouldn't even think to consider. Also must take a while to get them warm?

Your right good option for your needs and others that don't drive big miles or in rain.

Drama Free Zone here Pete your X is great and I've said so many times all I said was that tire has a low tread rating :)

I can't comment on how long they will last yet but they don't appear any worse then the infamous Yokohama 008R from the nineties. A couple local X'ers had the 008's on theirs and they got between 5 and 7000kms of use which would be four years or so of driving for me which suits me just fine.

'PeteX1/9

Getting struck by lightning if you are worried inspectors or police looking to see for US DOT markings on yur rubber :nod:

If you have the financial means...good with google translator and not blown away by the dollar conversion eBay Germany is your friend.
Greg I too tend to peruse ebay DE and UK I event hop on ebay IT but its too difficult to translate so I look at the pics and drool.

It was mentioned above that inspections are a bad thing for the possibility of non DOT tires. There's an easy & legal way around this: Classic/vintage/antique/collector license plates ;) Here in PA any car over 25years old (1986 this year) can have an antique plate purchased. I just had one put on the Rabbit. Cost $97, Had to include 4 pictures (F/R/L/R) and surrender my current tag & title. A new title & tag was issued on the spot (now antique title) and I'm good. The plate is permanent and no annual inspection or smog sniffing is required. The technical rule is the car can only be driven 1 day a week or to and from a show, but the lady at the tag office and a trooper told me if your ever pulled and the cop wants to try and be "dicky" just tell them this is your 1 day driving and there is nothing they can do even if they've seen you drive all week :p

Just some more info...

008s have a UTQG of 80
048s have a UTQG of 60

So 048s should be close to this experience around a 3,500 mile tire and no wet.

A couple local X'ers had the 008's on theirs and they got between 5 and 7000kms of use which would be four years or so of driving for me which suits me just fine.

Last edited:
but the lady at the tag office and a trooper told me if your ever pulled and the cop wants to try and be "dicky" just tell them this is your 1 day driving and there is nothing they can do even if they've seen you drive all week :p

As a person who had a Z/28 as a teen and while in college... I can assure you there is ALWAYS something a cop can do if he wants to be "dicky"!!!:mad2:

And back on the tire front... I cannot imagine a police officer or any inspector really looking at tires, unless they were something as obnoxious as wrinkle wall drag slicks! (which I've seen driven on the street on numerous occasions!!!) They're more interested in junk like 'window tint', etc.

Different league

Hi Pete,

if you don't daily drive your X (I think that is what Greg meant to say) and you use your X mainly for hard street driving, there is nothing better than an R tire. The road feel and feedback alone put it in a different league. And then there is the increased grip. :)
I don't drive all that much and have junked my Yoko AVSi tires because they were aged, they still looked almost new. So tire wear is not an issue.
But there are other factors such as road noise, harder steering at slow speeds, harshness over bumps, etc.

One comment, R-tires have evolved more and more towards pure racing tires. So you can't directly compare a 008 to a much more modern A048.

If you see your X as a tool for driving hard and enjoying it, you will love them.
For running errands on potholed city streets, maybe not.

there is ALWAYS something a cop can do if he wants to be "dicky"!!!:mad2:
Touche`
I think the argument of the tire rating = a fail at inspection is a legitimate concern for those living in the North East and CA where inspections are very strick. Fact is Ive been pulled over 4 times since moving to PA in August (1 in the X) (3 in the Rabbit) all of which were because of inspection related issues. The X had a tail light quirk that I BS'ed out of a ticket (BTW did anyone know the Italians designed the entire rear lighting to turn off when the headlights come on?;)) The Rabbit has been pulled all 3 times for non display of a current or past inspection sticker. I imagine California and places like Jersey is much much worse. As for the rest of the country, I think your good, unless a tire blows resulting in an accident involving other cars or loss of life, at which point your effed!!

California only has a smog testing program. There's no required inspection. However, with the recent increases in the various fees you now get charged for a moving violation, I hear the cops are a little more serious about finding brake lights out or no front plate. A fix it ticket was $40 two years ago. It may be more now. It used to cost nothing and only required a sign off.

Back