Wheel options

Bryan Skarbek

Low Mileage
As I try to decide what engine I'm going to put in my x1/9, I'm going to start working on the suspension and exterior upgrades. I was wondering what kind of wheels people are putting on their X. I like the ROTA WHEEL SHAKOTAN 15X6 4X98 15 FRB FIAT X1/9 wheels but they are discontinued. If you have photos, that would be great. Thanks.

Last edited:
Lots of personal preference on the subject of wheels. Many X owners prefer to retain the 13" size and a vintage feel like the factory might have done. Others prefer a very modern look with really large diameters and low profile tires. Kind of a stock vs modified debate. I personally like 15" wheels with around a 55 aspect ratio tire (has some decent sidewall) as a good compromise - especially in a classic style. There are also opinions on how the wheel/tire size will affect the final drive ratio and handling. My take is the X is geared too low and a taller (larger overall circumference) set up is a benefit for today's street driving. And any modern tire will significantly out perform any size of older design tires, so the handling will be better regardless. But like I said, there is a LOT of personal opinion on this subject...similar to choice of color, oil, spark plugs, and relationships. Regardless, if you look at wheels with a 4X100 bolt pattern it dramatically increases your options. To mount them you have some basic options; adapter/spacers, or "wobble bolts". The third option to redrill the hubs isn't really practical for most, but can be done. There have been lots of discussions on the topic with good ideas and pictures.

Once again, thank you for the info Dr. Jeff. I guess I will need to learn how to use the search function on Xweb. I couldn’t really find anything when I did a search under wheels.

While wheel shopping, don't buy anything until you know what tires and size you are getting. Very frustrating to buy wheels and then find there are no tires that really provide what you want and that fit.

As I try to decide what engine I'm going to put in my x1/9, I'm going to start working on the suspension and exterior upgrades. I was wondering what kind of wheels people are putting on their X. I like the ROTA WHEEL SHAKOTAN 15X6 4X98 15 FRB FIAT X1/9 wheels but they are discontinued. If you have photos, that would be great. Thanks.

You might just browse through the picture thread:

https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/official-member-car-picture-thread.1415/

Some of the earlier photos have been lost in the great PhotoBucket debacle, but the later threads seem more intact. If you find some you like, contact the member for more info.

Pete

Here you go! Not mine, no affiliation!!!
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-tires-rims/...ls/1457424061?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Back