Wheels and Tires

I'm sure they won't be cheap, but I want something that's more or less hard to find and extremely specific, so the cost seems justified (within reason). I have mixed feelings about wobble bolts. I don't know too much about them, but I have heard people swear them off as unsafe.

It will all come down to ensuring the wheels are centered on the hub, hub centering rings will be your friend.

The bolts should be just clamping force, that the force is slightly offset into a conical hole won’t make a difference.

Rota Wheel... 4x100... 15x8 front 15x9 rear... Wobble bolts and aluminum centering rings.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 115
I've been doing some digging and a friend of mine from the UK suggest I look up a place called RimLuxe. It looks like they can custom make rims in a 15x7 or 15x8 in a 3 piece BBS RS style for very relatively little money. I'm planning on contacting them, but I could use some advice as to what offsets/PCD I should get to fit an X1/9. I think I'll likely go 15x7 rather than a staggered 15x8. Assuming they're willing to make them this may be a decent place to source some unique wheels for our classic Fiats.

https://www.rimluxe.co.uk/product/lenso-bsx-gold/

To offer an opinion of what you might want to do, can you offer some info about your car’s equipment and how it is set up right now?

Coil over shocks?
What width wheel and what offset do you have now?
What tire are you running right now?
On the front, what is the distance from the back face of the rim to the face of the shock tube?
Do you have issues with the outside tread of the tire rubbing on the wheel opening when turning?
Do you have issues with the inside tread of the tread/sidewall rubbing on the inside of the wheel well when turned left or right?

Thanks

To offer an opinion of what you might want to do, can you offer some info about your car’s equipment and how it is set up right now?

Coil over shocks?
What width wheel and what offset do you have now?
What tire are you running right now?
On the front, what is the distance from the back face of the rim to the face of the shock tube?
Do you have issues with the outside tread of the tire rubbing on the wheel opening when turning?
Do you have issues with the inside tread of the tread/sidewall rubbing on the inside of the wheel well when turned left or right?

Thanks

I'm getting ready to install a full set of Koni adjustable coil overs from Midwest Bayless along with a new steering rack, radius rods, bushing, ect. Currently I've got a set of Koni reds with Faza springs. I'm currently running a 13x5.5 BBS knock-off of some sort. Not too sure on the offset. I'm running 185 60 13 Federal 595ss tires on all four corners. I've never had any rubbing issues what-so-ever with this set up.

This is what I would do but I tend to be pretty conservative.

I made an assumption about your current wheels. The OE wheels would be 5 x 13 with 27mm offset, the Iron Cross which came on a limited number of X’s were 5.5 x 13 with 25mm offset

The thing you get into with a wider rim with less offset is the scrub radius to the outside it becomes more likely that the outside of the tire will likely contact the wheel opening at full lock.

2721C21E-DF44-4945-BF6A-023BA97810E9.jpeg
AE7831A3-2458-4E83-9F77-242CF4D76D31.jpeg

Last edited:
This what I did on my Abarth Powered X, however the tire size 195/45 R15 are getting harder to obtain. No problem last year, for tires but this year I decided to purchase 2 spares as the rear tires are wearing fast. Took some doing but Tire Rack came through.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Last edited:
I'm running 195/45 R15 Toyo Proxes on 15x6.5 rims with a 15mm offset. Tires and rims were purchased last year. Tires from Tire Rack, rims from Ebay. Stock springs and struts. Close clearance on the front struts, but no rubbing that I can see or detect. Had a very minor interference on the lower front fender opening.

Hope this helps.

20170804_173902.jpg
20180621_204130.png
20180530_190608.jpg

Last edited:
I went with Hankook Ventus R3's... Nice wide tires they have. Wear rating kinda weak... The overall tire height is in line with the original OEM tire heights. Price is decent as far as performance tires go.
Hankook.png

I'm sure they won't be cheap, but I want something that's more or less hard to find and extremely specific, so the cost seems justified (within reason). I have mixed feelings about wobble bolts. I don't know too much about them, but I have heard people swear them off as unsafe.
I'm running wobble bolts and they're perfect. 4x98 to 4x100 is only stepping up 2mm. There won't be any issues what do ever. It's when people want to stray too far away from the original pcd, that issues crop up. Example 4x100 to 4x114 or something. As for your wheel and tire setup conundrum: you can easily find a mesh BBS style wheel, in a 15in 4x100 wheel. To be honest the tire specs determine the "look" more so then the wheels. I'm not a huge fan of 15a in X1/9s either and IMO choosing a very low profile tire is a must. That being said, I had to make the jump to 15s due to the lack of 13in tire sizes available. Im currently running 185/45 Nankang NSlls all around. The outside diameter (with a now 2 in larger diameter wheel) is 13mm less then the 13in wheel/tire combo that was previously fitted. Going with 195/45s would have increased the overall diameter, slightly. Something like 9 or so mm. To my eyes, any larger tire such as a 195/50, or 205 or 225 just won't look fit to the car. Again just my preference. I may install 195/45s in the rear, at some point as there is still a bit of fender gap on the rear that can't be dialed out with suspension adjustment.
0825181934.jpg

Last edited:
I'm running wobble bolts and they're perfect. 4x98 to 4x100 is only stepping up 2mm. There won't be any issues what do ever. It's when people want to stray too far away from the original pcd, that issues crop up. Example 4x100 to 4x114 or something. As for your wheel and tire setup conundrum: you can easily find a mesh BBS style wheel, in a 15in 4x100 wheel. To be honest the tire specs determine the "look" more so then the wheels. I'm not a huge fan of 15a in X1/9s either and IMO choosing a very low profile tire is a must. That being said, I had to make the jump to 15s due to the lack of 13in tire sizes available. Im currently running 185/45 Nankang NSlls all around. The outside diameter (with a now 2 in larger diameter wheel) is 13mm less then the 13in wheel/tire combo that was previously fitted. Going with 195/45s would have increased the overall diameter, slightly. Something like 9 or so mm. To my eyes, any larger tire such as a 195/50, or 205 or 225 just won't look fit to the car. Again just my preference. I may install 195/45s in the rear, at some point as there is still a bit of fender gap on the rear that can't be dialed out with suspension adjustment.

Nice..........

Back