Wheels and Tires

And you sir just saved me a buncha money. Thanks

Ah....dont get too excited yet about using 4 x 100 wheels.

Yes....it can be done will wobble bolts, but....please be aware of the following.

Most all wheels you will find in 4 x 100 will have the totally wrong offset for an X1/9. Generally wheels intended for most Honda, VW, etc., will have an offset of perhaps 35-50 mm. The X needs an offset of usually about 15-25 mm. So...you would need to buy spacers (more $ ) to fit them.

In addition, most Toyota/Honda/VW factory alloys, or proper vehicle specific alloys, will have a centre bore too small to fit on an X1/9.The Fiat requires a 58.1mm centre bore. And for example most Toyotas are 54.1mm or something. So....that wheel would NOT fit over the X1/9 hub. So you would have to have custom spacers made that suited the different hub centres. Even more $.

Yes,some aftermarket generic 4 x 100 wheels do have a large centre bore so you could use them on any application with a vehicle specific hub centering ring. So you would need to find rings that converted that wheel - say with a 70mm opening - to the Fiat's 58.1mm. Yeah, more $.

And then you would have to find some very specific wobble bolts of the perfect length. A couple of mm too long and they will interfere and lock the wheel. A couple of mm too short and they would not engage enough threads to be safe. Yeah, more $

Or...you could convert from Fiat's bolt system to studs by buying a stud kit. Yeah...more $...

And through all this, you would likely lose the Fiat's pegs that make installing a wheel soooo much easier.

Not to mention the combination of wheel spacers, centering rings, and wobble bolts leading to potential balance issues. And strength/safety concerns. And the general Mickey Mouse result of it all.

Think about it........

Yes....it can be done will wobble bolts, but....please be aware of the following.

Most all wheels you will find in 4 x 100 will have the totally wrong offset for an X1/9. Generally wheels intended for most Honda, VW, etc., will have an offset of perhaps 35-50 mm. The X needs an offset of usually about 15-25 mm. So...you would need to buy spacers (more $ ) to fit them.

In addition, most Toyota/Honda/VW factory alloys, or proper vehicle specific alloys, will have a centre bore too small to fit on an X1/9.The Fiat requires a 58.1mm centre bore. And for example most Toyotas are 54.1mm or something. So....that wheel would NOT fit over the X1/9 hub. So you would have to have custom spacers made that suited the different hub centres. Even more $.

Yes,some aftermarket generic 4 x 100 wheels do have a large centre bore so you could use them on any application with a vehicle specific hub centering ring. So you would need to find rings that converted that wheel - say with a 70mm opening - to the Fiat's 58.1mm. Yeah, more $.

And then you would have to find some very specific wobble bolts of the perfect length. A couple of mm too long and they will interfere and lock the wheel. A couple of mm too short and they would not engage enough threads to be safe. Yeah, more $

Or...you could convert from Fiat's bolt system to studs by buying a stud kit. Yeah...more $...

And through all this, you would likely lose the Fiat's pegs that make installing a wheel soooo much easier.

Not to mention the combination of wheel spacers, centering rings, and wobble bolts leading to potential balance issues. And strength/safety concerns. And the general Mickey Mouse result of it all.

Think about it........
Ugh it's always something... LOL I don't really care what wheels it has, but I'm two wheels short currently.

Ugh it's always something... LOL I don't really care what wheels it has, but I'm two wheels short currently.

Yeah it always is..........

Hope you realize I was only trying to be helpful. Kinda pictured you finding some old VW or Honda wheels only to discover -after buying some wobble bolts - that you had gone down the wrong path LOL....

To be clear, yeah the X1/9 had a 98mm bolt pattern. Sadly nothing much else does....

Wheels that WILL work:

From any year X1/9. either steel or alloy. Different widths were available throughout the years, either from the factory, dealer installed options, or aftermarket.

From any Fiat 124 Spider (well except the new 2017 124 spider ) or 131 or Lancia Scorpion. Steel or alloy.

Look for the above in your local wreckers or Craigslist, or in the FSW section of this forum. You can usually find something pretty cheap pretty easily !!!

Wheels you think might work but really wont:

From a Fiat 500. Or from a FWD Lancia. Or from a Yugo. Yes, these wheels have the correct bolt pattern and hub size, BUT will generally have the WRONG offset. Your tire will hit the strut.

Good luck. If you find a wheel you think might fit, you can always ask here.

Cheers, Doug

Last edited:
Yeah it always is..........

Hope you realize I was only trying to be helpful. Kinda pictured you finding some old VW or Honda wheels only to discover -after buying some wobble bolts - that you had gone down the wrong path LOL....

Cheers, Doug
Absolutely! I appreciate it! The car has 3 correct wheels and one roller off some other old fiat that hits the wheel well. The spare is also missing! I'll post in the FS&W.

Absolutely! I appreciate it! The car has 3 correct wheels and one roller off some other old fiat that hits the wheel well. The spare is also missing! I'll post in the FS&W.

Okay, great. FYI - "correct for your year" ( I think you have a '77 X1/9 ? ) factory fitment would have been a 13 x 4.5" styled steel wheel with a 145/80-13 radial tire. Some special editions in some world markets - or optional dealer-installed in others - would have been a 13 x 5" alloy wheel with a 165/70-13 tire. Who knows after all these years and previous owners what is actually on your X. and you even indicated only three match anyways.

Starting in 1979, most X1/9s came with a 13 x 5" steel or alloy wheel with a 165/70-13 tire. Much later, by the mid 80s, some Xs appeared with a 185/60-13 tire, usually on a 13 x 5.5" alloy wheel.

Any of those variations will generally fit on any X1/9. Although the 185/60-13 tire MAY rub the fender or strut depending on the particular tire and wheel chosen. The other variations will be safe for clearance.

Anyways, suggest you post a pic of what wheels and tires are currently on your X. Perhaps someone here has a pair that match for your 4th wheel and spare. Hey - maybe someone needs that oddball wheel you have LOL....

Think about it........

Always a "half empty" guy in the crowd! Hahahahaha!!! I guess I just got lucky then...

IMG_20180825_122358222_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180825_122307011.jpg

Back