WTB: 1300 Belt Cover top half w/o air pump

AKimball92

True Classic
I have a 1978 1300 that originally came with the airpump just rearward of the cam pulley. The belt cover came in two pieces, top and bottom. Did they make a top piece that fits around just he cam pulley for a 1300?

I have a 1100 cover that fits fine but it is a one-piecer. Block heights are the same and it fits fine with a very slightly modified cover bracket.

It fit when the engine was on the stand, but now that its in the car, I cannot get it around the dizzy and frame rail right there. It has a flange in the plastic cover that touches the block to keep it square. The equivalent on the X1/9 is the long stud used in the middle.

Note: the 1100 timing marks 0, 5, 10 deg BTDC marks do not line up with my pulley but I go off the fly wheel anyways.

I have 5 possible options:
1. find a top piece cam only cover for a 1300.
2. cut the 1100 cover to somehow slip it through around the aux pulley from the top as one piece.
3. cut and modify the 1100 cover to mate with the OEM 1300 bottom piece. Will epoxy stick???
4. fab someone up from metal. Not looking forward to this.
5. hack off the air pump pulley half and call it [marginally] good. I don't like this idea as it looks literally like a hack job. No offence to those who've done this.

IMG-3636.JPG IMG-3635.JPG IMG-3692.JPG

I have a 1978 1300 that originally came with the airpump just rearward of the cam pulley. The belt cover came in two pieces, top and bottom. Did they make a top piece that fits around just he cam pulley for a 1300?

I have a 1100 cover that fits fine but it is a one-piecer. Block heights are the same and it fits fine with a very slightly modified cover bracket.

It fit when the engine was on the stand, but now that its in the car, I cannot get it around the dizzy and frame rail right there. It has a flange in the plastic cover that touches the block to keep it square. The equivalent on the X1/9 is the long stud used in the middle.

Note: the 1100 timing marks 0, 5, 10 deg BTDC marks do not line up with my pulley but I go off the fly wheel anyways.

I have 5 possible options:
1. find a top piece cam only cover for a 1300.
2. cut the 1100 cover to somehow slip it through around the aux pulley from the top as one piece.
3. cut and modify the 1100 cover to mate with the OEM 1300 bottom piece. Will epoxy stick???
4. fab someone up from metal. Not looking forward to this.
5. hack off the air pump pulley half and call it [marginally] good. I don't like this idea as it looks literally like a hack job. No offence to those who've done this.

View attachment 16731 View attachment 16732 View attachment 16733
My 74 1300 came with a one piece cover which now that you mention it was a real pain to get off. In fact, once I removed the air pump, it and the metal back plate never made it on the engine again. I use the flywheel mark like you do for the crank, and fabricated a little pointer that bolts to the cam box to time the cam. Not having those covers makes the engine a whole lot easier to work on, and I think it looks better, especially if you are not running an air pump.

My 74 1300 came with a one piece cover which now that you mention it was a real pain to get off. In fact, once I removed the air pump, it and the metal back plate never made it on the engine again. I use the flywheel mark like you do for the crank, and fabricated a little pointer that bolts to the cam box to time the cam. Not having those covers makes the engine a whole lot easier to work on, and I think it looks better, especially if you are not running an air pump.

I really wouldn't want to drive much without a cover. After putting all this time and money into the engine build having a rock or something impact the belt would certainly ruin my day, summer, year, wallet you name it.

Before I realized the 1100 cover wasn't able to fit onto the engine when in the car, I wanted to modify that "1100" to say "1320" which is now what my engine displacement is. It would have been an easy way to spot the true Fiat Nerds.

The 1100 cover metal mounting plate looks odd as it has the cam pointer, like the 1500s. Shouldn't a 1300 use the cam pointer on the engine mount? The cam pulley for a 1300 and 1500 are different in regard to the alignment dot, 1300 lines the dot up with the engine mount pointer and the 1500 pulley has the dot in a different angular position. You can use either setup on a 1300 or 1500 but the cam pulley has to match the pointer (engine mount or sheet metal belt cover mount).

I run my 1500 coverless and fabed a timing pointer for it.

I really wouldn't want to drive much without a cover. After putting all this time and money into the engine build having a rock or something impact the belt would certainly ruin my day, summer, year, wallet you name it.

Before I realized the 1100 cover wasn't able to fit onto the engine when in the car, I wanted to modify that "1100" to say "1320" which is now what my engine displacement is. It would have been an easy way to spot the true Fiat Nerds.
I'm not sure that the cover protects the engine as much as it protects the person opening the engine compartment from sticking there fingers where they don't belong, and from dropping tools on to a spinning motor. That whole cover assembly is pretty open from the bottom side where most of the road crap would come in.

Back