WTB: good used 4 spd tranny

zonker

Just Another FIAT Freak
Well, my tranny woes are not done yet... I started with a throwout bearing failure, which wore out the pressure plate, which required removing the trans, which uncovered pieces of synchro in the gear oil and a leaky slave cyl.

Allisons provided me with a used trans as a replacement when i had the new clutch / pressure plate / t/o bearing, resurfaced flywheel installed.

That lasted for a few hundred miles before trans started leaking, the shifter started sticking in gear, and the clutch master was not pushing the slave like it should.

I then replaced the clutch master cyl and res lines and readjusted the pushrod and all seemed to be working, including no stuck shift lever.

Until a few hours ago, that is. halfway into a 45 mile drive the tranny sticks into 2nd gear and will not do anything other than give me a neutral if I move the shifter about 1" forward (which is all it moves).

So... I need a trans :mad2:

Anyone in so cal with a good used 4 speed they can sell me?

4 Spd

Zonker,

I have a parts car (77). You can have it, the 1300 and the tranny if you like. The motor and tranny were running before I started yank'n parts. Still has a good Radiator, and the fenders are in pretty good shape too.
Unfortunately I am in the Sacramento area...You have a trailer? Might be worth the gas.

Thank you for the great offer, I will ponder it.
But I think the 1100 mile round trip with a rented truck and trailer is a little outside my cost/benefit analysis :(

thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

update: trans is there but it's making a noise he said... :(

trans

I think I may have one or two. but I am in the sf bay area .so it would a trek also.....there is a u haul down the street,....so if you came here, rented the trailer, got the whole car, I will pull the motor and trans for you and take the body off your hands. sound doable??
mikemo90*aol.com

Well...

If none of these 4-speed offerings work for you, there's now a 5-speed X up the road from you at the Ontario Pick-A-Part. Just another option... :)

Can i counter offer with having you tow it to your place and i will split u haul costs and help you pull the motor and throw them in the back of my station wagon?

Rob

oneuppance

ahh let the games begin
drive here, i'll pay for the trailer and I will have the problem of getting rid of the carcass. you only need a truck and gas and you sip beverage of your choice and i'll pull motor/trans and have down the road in a couple of hours
anyone to up the ante?:dance2:
mikemo90*aol.com

so i guess the sarcasm means a "no"?

Your inital offer in review:

My costs:
$150 gas (round trip plus gas for uhaul)
$100 u-haul truck and milege charge from sacramento to bay area and back (I don't own a truck and double the gas costs to get there if I did)
-----
$250 plus 2 days off work, and most likely the gopher for a beverage run

Your costs:
$ 0
except you have to get rid of the carcass after selling off whatever you can profit from, and you might lose a bag of chips or two I will eat while drinking the beverages I provided.

See what sarcasm gets? I was trying to be reasonable.

Just an FYI... I used FedEx Ground to ship...

a 5-speed about 10 years ago from LA to NY.

Packed in a cardboard box with cardboard padding it weighed 91 pounds and cost about $45.00 dollars.

I'm sure rates have gone up... but it may be a better alternative.

ooops

sorry zonk.
I should pay more attention to what and WHO I am talking to, and not so much the beverage of my choice. sadly, I do have a Tahoe, no hitch, and embarrassing as it is...
never towed before..tried once to try to back jet skis
into lake berressa on the 100 foot wide ramp and it took me several hours. soooo sorry to sound sarcastic.
didn't mean to. i'll pay for the trailer, fill your tank from here, pull motor and trans for you as your are having said bev o choice and fill your tank for the trip home. if I had means to get here it would be here now
I figured my labor is of some monetary value. o.k. I work cheap, but I will have you back on your return trip in 2 hours.... unless you are enjoying the beverage and sun too much.
besides its flu season and i'm sure your boss would rarher you take a few "sick" days off(just chough and sneeze in his/her direction):innocent:
mikemo90*ao.com

sorry zonk.
I should pay more attention to what and WHO I am talking to, and not so much the beverage of my choice. sadly, I do have a Tahoe, no hitch, and embarrassing as it is...
never towed before..tried once to try to back jet skis
into lake berressa on the 100 foot wide ramp and it took me several hours. soooo sorry to sound sarcastic.
didn't mean to. i'll pay for the trailer, fill your tank from here, pull motor and trans for you as your are having said bev o choice and fill your tank for the trip home. if I had means to get here it would be here now
I figured my labor is of some monetary value. o.k. I work cheap, but I will have you back on your return trip in 2 hours.... unless you are enjoying the beverage and sun too much.
besides its flu season and i'm sure your boss would rarher you take a few "sick" days off(just chough and sneeze in his/her direction):innocent:
mikemo90*ao.com

Ok Mike, I understand now. Sorry I jumped to conclusions.

I did a mapquest of the trip... Temec to Hangtown is 500 miles, Placerville to Rodeo is 105 miles, so 1200+ milos (almost 2000 km for those u.s. measure deficient).

Long long trip... it's deja vu all over again as it was for driving to San Jose to pick up my '74 X a few months back.

Sounds like a GREAT road trip to me...

and its SPRING out, sort of...

If I didn't have health issues at the moment I'd ride with ya and split the gas, food and lodging. Maybe you can find another friend to go with ya!

I have a better, better alternative. Grin.

yep, looks like i get tom's "parts car" tranny. in the meantime, i went out today and fudged with the '78 to see if i can make any progress.

i did.

i man handled that shifter and pulled it back into neutral, where once again all gears are working! something is going desperately wrong with the shift rod and slider mechanism that causes it to bind and lock up.

the good news is i have the ability to back up and move forward. the bad news is until i find out the cause, i am destined for a stuck trans until i swap it out with the tranny from tom's parts car.

Shift shaft

Hay Zonker, the shift shaft that is inside the tranny housing rides in a smooth bore. Metal filings from normal wear in the transaxle go the bottom of the transaxle and get between the shift shaft and the bore in the transaxle housing causing gauling and the exact problem that you are discribing. If this is your problem then the transaxle needs to be disassembled and the bore and the shift shaft smoothed out. I have a 75 to 78 4 speed transaxle in the shed that you can have for free but I have no idea of it's condition. I'm in Chula Vista Ca. next to San Diego.

Good luck
Charlie

Charlie... the more the merrier! I figure I can make one good one out of the gaggle of 4 speeds I am running across. At this point I have committed to taking the remnants of tom's parts car under my wing at my storage lot, and mark * allisons still has my original tranny at his shop. So... if I add yours to the mix, perhaps I can make one really nice one out of the four I will possibly have in my possesion :)

Back