X got crunched today... :(

fiatmonkey

Tim Hoover
Hey all,

I just wanted to vent here - my X was crunched some while it was waiting for me at my daughter's school to come back. It was sad and upset and a little embarrassed I think. Not too mention mad since the driver left the scene without leaving a note.

Image046.jpg

Radiator was damaged (not sure how) but I saw steam when I walked up and it hot really hot as I tried to drive the car away. Headlight pods are stuck (down) also.

Good news was about 10 people saw it happen and a couple even tried to get the guy to leave a note. But he decided to just leave the scene. I got his car make/model license plate etc. so police caught up with him pretty quick at his home. He told them his youngest son was in his car (SUV) and was sick so he needed to get him home right away. Which could be true for sure. No charges to press but a police report is now taken.

Now waiting for insurance game to start. I am just glad its not any worse and no one is hurt.

:blackeye:

I'd feel sick too

if my Dad hit another car and decided to flee the scene!!:hmm2:

Good luck with the insurance company. Hopefully it will bet fixed up quickly.

NEED?

If his son was in the car, the only "need" I can see if he was going to a hospital. if the kid wasnt sick enough for that, he could have waited another 3 min for you to leave a note.

MAybe I am a prick, but really, he was trying to get way with something and for that YOU will have to pay. As others on this forum that are affiliated with insurance companies can attest to, We (insurance) will get the money back that we pay out.

I had a situation very similar (which is why I am passionate about this) and when I caught up to the driver he and I had a nice talk (really nice even though I was upset) and we decided that I wouldnt press charges and he would pay for materials to get it fixed (I do my own body work) This was also decided when he showed my the paper he wrote my plate down so he could find out who I was and "make it right"

Ok, off my soap box

Odie

I'll bet there was a good reason

as to why he left, and it had nothing to do with his son.
These bad apples get away with this stuff all the time.
If his son was sick, what was he doing there to begin with?
I'll bet he's either uninsured, has too pany "points" against him already, on parole, etc.
Bottom line is he's irresponsible. One way or another we all end up paying the price.

Sorry to hear.

I'd tend to agree with Bob here

This smacks of the guy leaving thinking he'd get away with it...and then making up a "the dog ate my homework excuse".

Sorry about your X...however I do know CASCU has new fiberglass front body panels and insurance should cover it. With an unofficial "hit and run" here, you may get a rst proof new panel and paint job out of this. I'm hoping for you.

and god bless the folks that took his plate. Those people I like :)

Bad news it was hit - good news there were witnesses!

I have to agree that the guys story sounds like a crock of sh-t conjured up to avoid any hit&run charges.

One of my Volvos was plowed into in a parking lot, did substantial damage to the nose. If it wasn't for a good samaritan who took the plate of the driver & called the cops (who left a card for me on the windshield), I would have had to foot the bill. I have no sympathy for anyone leaving the scene of an accident.

At least you have his info & the police report, All the best with getting it fixed right!

Well - story continues:

Turns out the guy is a police officer in the next town so maybe some "good ol boy" stuff going on since as I said, no charges pressed.

Also turns out we have the same auto insurance provider so not sure if that makes any difference.

Adjuster comes out Friday to review damages. I think I am going to get a few quotes in the meantime and get an average of what X's are going for these days in a 50 mile radius.

-Tim

UUUGGHHHH!! I know how you feel. I remember how I felt when he 20 something year old woman backed into my X. We thought she drove away at first, but she had went to get some paper to write on. My roommate took off like a bat out of hell in his 08' VW R32 in the direction she went to try and catch her (my neighbor saw her back into it).

Make sure you stress to the adjuster just how rare the parts are to find for your car. give them the websites for Matt's Bayless, Vicks, and so on so they can see how much the parts will be and how hard it is to get. That's what I did and after also having it inspected by performance Apex for mechanical damage, they paid to have a whole custom exhaust made. :)

It sounds like a hit and run to me.

I would go down to the police department and file a complaint. If You or I did that we would be in trouble. Police need to live up to the same as us regular law abiding folks. I know police have a tough job, but he needs to live up to what he did. Get your witnesses in order and follow up.

You are Scr****d

Unless you have a very nice car that you can claim to be more valuable than the "literature" says it is worth you will probably only get $700 to $1500 for the car. Repair costs will be at least double that. Sorry about that, as I was just in a similar predicament with my X19.
Regarding the police, they did not do their duty on this one as here is the Vehicle code in California:
V C Section 20001 Duty to Stop at Scene of Accident

Duty to Stop at Scene of Accident

20001. (a) The driver of a vehicle involved in an accident resulting in injury to a person, other than himself or herself, or in the death of a person shall immediately stop the vehicle at the scene of the accident and shall fulfill the requirements of Sections 20003 and 20004.
(b) (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), a person who violates subdivision (a) shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison, or in a county jail for not more than one year, or by a fine of not less than one thousand dollars ($1,000) nor more than ten thousand dollars ($10,000), or by both that imprisonment and fine .
(2) If the accident described in subdivision (a) results in death or permanent, serious injury, a person who violates subdivision (a) shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for two, three, or four years, or in a county jail for not less than 90 days nor more than one year, or by a fine of not less than one thousand dollars ($1,000) nor more than ten thousand dollars ($10,000), or by both that imprisonment and fine. However, the court, in the interests of justice and for reasons stated in the record, may reduce or eliminate the minimum imprisonment required by this paragraph.
(3) In imposing the minimum fine required by this subdivision, the court shall take into consideration the defendant's ability to pay the fine and, in the interests of justice and for reasons stated in the record, may reduce the amount of that minimum fine to less than the amount otherwise required by this subdivision.
(c) A person who flees the scene of the crime after committing a violation of Section 191.5 of, or paragraph (1) of subdivision (c) of Section 192 of the Penal Code, upon conviction of any of those sections, in addition and consecutive to the punishment prescribed, shall be punished by an additional term of imprisonment of five years in the state prison. This additional term shall not be imposed unless the allegation is charged in the accusatory pleading and admitted by the defendant or found to be true by the trier of fact. The court shall not strike a finding that brings a person within the provisions of this subdivision or an allegation made pursuant to this subdivision.
(d) As used in this section, "permanent, serious injury" means the loss or permanent impairment of function of a bodily member or organ.

Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 854, Stats. 1999. Effective October 1, 1999.
Amended Sec. 30, Ch. 747, Stats. 2007. Effective January 1, 2008.

The reason you are scr***d is that the police report would list the driver and make your case easier. In any event I suggest you get at least two firm quotes to repair the car and have the repairs completed and file suit for damages. Do not wait for the other parties insurer to attempt to pay you peanuts for your car. Drop it off and get a rental. Send a note to the other party to let them know you are attempting to mitigate the cost and have started repairs immeadiately ( in order to reduce rental cost, as the car is not driveable due to the lights being inoperable) If you complete the repairs you will get full payment by a judge. The $500 or $1000 differnce to "total" the car will not be an issue for a judge, but the insurance company will demand it if given the option. Small claims is the way.
Good luck!
Bob

If they jerk you around...

Especially likely his being a police officer, go to the local media. Newspaper, TV station, etc. They will lap this up. I can see the headline "Cop flees car crash at school".

If it were me I'd start with that, frankly. No one likes bad publicity, especially the police.

Tim.... listen to Bob Turchan and others...

Don't let this arsehole get away with this!

Also... have some respect for those that got the license plate and went the extra mile for you. Its really up to YOU now to follow through.

I firmly feel that we all have a responsibility to carry insurance and do the right thing when driving. Its not some frickin' "privilege" and if someone can't afford insurance or does not abide by the laws they SWORE to uphold... they should be on a bus.

I spent 3 years going after my OWN insurance company for the POLICY LIMITS of uninsured motorists because THEY didn't go after the uninsured b*itch that hit us. We won... and hopefully it cost them enough to go after her now...

Reminds me of a "joke of sorts" my brother just sent me stating that 23% of all accidents involve alcohol... meaning that the other 77% are simply caused by arseholes...

I think you found one of the 77%-ers...

Hit and run

Sorry to here about this. I believe I have a good enough replacement piece for you (no charge of course). As for the incident...I call BS!

As an officer I can tell you...SICK!? Right.
Any officer involved in such an incident KNOWS BETTER! It doesn't take SEVERAL CIVILIANS to convince an honest person (especially an officer) to at least leave a piece of paper with your name and number...some small thing to ID yourself. If this guy is actually an officer FILE A COMPLAINT with his department! If it was a real emergency, he's covered and he can explain (no worries, and likely a sincere apology forthcoming. No, this is not a "cop-out". Civilians get the same courtesy when they have a VALID explanation and possibly documentation). However, there are basic requirements EVERYBODY knows about. If he had time to have contact with several persons at the scene, he had time to leave info. Sounds like this guy made a conscience decision to FLEE the scene without leaving even the most basic info. He did not do this because his kid was bleeding from the eyes or anything. It is likely the witnesses also saw the kid sitting in the car as content as you please. And, his kid was able to wait till the end of the school day as well...right? Check with the school to see if his kid was actually sick (documented). If not, JAM HIM even harder! There are few things we (other officers) hate more than one of ours abusing the law and making us all look like deceptive weasels. Take a little time to get all the facts you can, and if it pans out to be what it looks like, JAM THIS GUY UP! No excuses people! Integrity is not that flexible.

Feel free to send me a message and I will get the part to you.

It is hit and run. If he leaves the scene and leaves no note, that is the definition of hit and run. He can leave the scene only if he leaves a note, which wouldn't make him liable for h&r.

For the sake of community safety and citizen's duty, I hope you actually do press charges. The ideas of going as far giving this story to a local newspaper is not a bad idea too.

Reading the beginning of your story and all the witnesses seeing what had happened, I thought this was a slam dunk. Reading the rest just makes one's heart sink. These cops give the good cops a bad name, and make our country look like a developing country.

Get him! :jedi:

Well - story continues:

Turns out the guy is a police officer in the next town so maybe some "good ol boy" stuff going on since as I said, no charges pressed.

Also turns out we have the same auto insurance provider so not sure if that makes any difference.

Adjuster comes out Friday to review damages. I think I am going to get a few quotes in the meantime and get an average of what X's are going for these days in a 50 mile radius.

-Tim

Go to http://www.nada.com/ and print out the values for them. Even at the low range, it shows a healthy quote for the X1/9.

Especially likely his being a police officer, go to the local media. Newspaper, TV station, etc. They will lap this up. I can see the headline "Cop flees car crash at school".

If it were me I'd start with that, frankly. No one likes bad publicity, especially the police.

Awesome idea. This needs to be done, it is protection of fellow citizens as well. :guitar::thumbsup:

My Dodge got $2,200 worth of damage while parked last year, no note, no witnesses, just found it seriously crunched. Someone hit it HARD. There's some serious dorks out there. I was brought up believing if you make a mistake you man-up and make it right. Old fashioned thinking there I guess.

Tim, like others have said. Go to your towns police station and ask why H&R charges weren't given to the offender? ask if "you" had done the same thing, would you get a break as he did? Or is this a "cop thing"? If they try to snowball you, go to the media. As stated, they love H&R on school property. especially when it involves police cover ups.

Also, if you need a nose section, I have one off of a 78 that I torched off. It can be cleaned up and its rust free.It's just sitting in my garage, yours for the taking, just pay shipping.

Back