X got crunched today... :(

All is well

Tim,
Nice to hear no one is hurt except for the toy.Nice to see there are good Samaritans around to help. Hope the insurance provides you the service you deserve.
Gardie

UPDATE !!!

First off - I have to say forum members here are the best. I really appreciate the feedback, suggestions and the like. It proves you are all good people and of course (like me) are passionate about your cars.

So after dropping off my daughter this morning, I was approached by one of the witnesses. He told me that the driver of the other car had actually handed his information to him (the witness) rather than place it on the car. I didn't know this was the case and it all makes sense now and the reason this was not considered a hit and run. The police just didn't make it clear to me and the official police report was not released.

So (I think) this changes everything really.

Also, Pacifica is a SMALL town, maybe not in population but in how ****e gets around. Not to mention his kids go to my daughters school. I just dont want to deal with that.

I am moving on and now dealing with Insurance BS. I will update all with how that goes, but I do expect to get screwed as I am 100% sure they will total it.

Thanks all
Tim

The old "SUV backs over the nose of the X" trick....

Happened to me twice. Insurance fixed it both times, no questions asked, as the other driver was clearly at fault.

Tim, this guy did a hit and run. Work with your insurance agent to make sure that his insurance foots the bill. And, his insurance would probably like to know that he hit and ran, cop or no.

Ciao,

Good luck Tim.

Hope they give your X fair value!

Keep in mind if they total it out you will not be able to keep the X or any of the parts...wheels etc. that go with it.

I had a Miata totaled out years ago and wanted to take the Hard Top with me and the Insurance adjuster at the time said no can do...it was figured into the payout settlement and as the car sat I could only take out the personal belongings...

I was able to get into the storage lot and swap out the wheels but it was a PITA.

Just FYI as I know you got that nice header... not sure what wheels you have.

but I do expect to get screwed as I am 100% sure they will total it.

So after dropping off my daughter this morning, I was approached by one of the witnesses. He told me that the driver of the other car had actually handed his information to him (the witness) rather than place it on the car. I didn't know this was the case and it all makes sense now and the reason this was not considered a hit and run. The police just didn't make it clear to me and the official police report was not released.

That's good news, Tim. Shows that it's worth giving people the benefit of the doubt once and a while. Good luck with the insurance!

Not always...

Sometimes you can agree with the insurance company to get the car back as part of the settlement. It's important to make it clear up front that this is your preference. Usually you'll get the car, and a check for the total value of the car minus "salvage value" or something similar.

Sometimes this places a "salvage title" on the vehicle, but not always. It seems to depend on state and other factors.

Make sure to show the NADA

The state valued my X at $250 (not too upset because it lowers my taxes owed) and the insurance people couldn't even find it on their computer system and had to have the "headquarters" give them an insurance quote to give me. Anyone who has seen my car knows its worth a little more than $250 as I'm sure yours is too.

Take some ebay listings for X1/9's too as evidence that it's worth fixing. Can't hurt. Good luck.

Salvage value?

Hope they give your X fair value!

Keep in mind if they total it out you will not be able to keep the X or any of the parts...wheels etc. that go with it.

I had a Miata totaled out years ago and wanted to take the Hard Top with me and the Insurance adjuster at the time said no can do...it was figured into the payout settlement and as the car sat I could only take out the personal belongings...

I was able to get into the storage lot and swap out the wheels but it was a PITA.

Just FYI as I know you got that nice header... not sure what wheels you have.

Last time I dealt with a totaled car I was able to keep the car and the insurer deducted the "salvage value" of the car from the settlement. It was an old 87 Taurus that was spun into a barrier in the snow and it was pretty dented up on the back right quarter. I paid some bills with the settlement, then I slapped a nice "bondo and rattle can" job on the car and drove it for two more years. :)

Maybe this type of settlement is a Missouri thing, but it wouldn't hurt to ask if it is possible. Especially if you have lots of custom/performance parts in your X and it is just the nose that is crunched.

I had a toy car totaled a few years ago. In this case it was an agreed value policy (Hagerty) and they handed me a check.
I could have bought the vehicle back (and should have) for $650.
I could have parted it out for close to $2,000 I bet.
They had no problem with me taking off the custom wheels and putting the stockers back on, I also took of the new carb I had just put on (and literally set the old one back on the manifold). I also stripped out the aftermarket pointless ignition. These were non OEM add-ons and the insurance company didn't care. Must vary, car was probably headed straight for recycling.

So, it it's totaled you get the value ($2500??) and a buy back ($500?) Minus deductible, you should end up with $1500/$1000?

I would consider just going to the guy with body shop estimates and and asking him to pony up. Then sue him. I hate to say it that but why should you suffer for his error? Sounds like you will not be made whole via the insurance route, I don't know if it's common to sue but it sure is done. Perhaps sue for the difference between what you get the insurance guys and what it actually costs to have it fixed.
Or, you can choose (legitimately) to decide not to aggravate your life and move on. He should offer to make it right. If he's a real guy he would. I would.

Are you sure the "I gave the info to a witness" story isn't an after the fact cover up since he "got caught"? Sounds fishy to me.

Its been a while since I was awarded a "totaled" settlement - a VERY long while, but I recall either I got my car back and a check for the value or I got a check for the cost of damages minus the value of the car. The latter sounds about right.

I will certainly do my homework and I might try and buff out the dull paint, and put the rear bumper, air dam etc on maybe to contrast the damage so it doesn't "blend in" with the rest of the car :)

I just heard a horror story a good friend told me that happened to him. He is a bouncer by night and was outside a club when an out of control car t-boned his 94 Lexus. The driver drove off like a bat out of hell. Got his license, called the cops and they caught up with the guy at his house the next day. Somewhere in there my friend determined the guy was drunk? but I dont recall how. Anyway, the guy told his insurance (and I assume the cops as well) he ran into a barrier in his parking garage. So, the guy lied to the cops right? And tried to commit fraud lying to his insurance right?

Turns out my friend and this jerk both have AAA - very bad situation :(

The adjuster comes out to my friends house, inspects the car, goes inside the car (did I mention my friend isn't even home or there at this time??) - the door was open of course since it was mangled! She Proceeds to call him and say "We can not provide an estimate or provide compensation as this car is already salvaged!" and was VERY rude about it. He was like huh??? Turns out the original door was damaged in a minor fender bender before but the PO swapped the door with one from a yard and of course that car was salvaged and the door (was the drivers side) had the other cars vin# still on it. He somehow got her to accept this and she proceeded to say the car was totalled and offered him $1000.00 that was a near PEREFECT mid 90's lexus - I don't recall the model but its the "round" looking one.

When he argued the settlement was too low, they initally said tough luck but after many moons of howling at them, they finally said if he could produce something like 5-7 cars that are for sale within a 50 mile radius, they will average the selling price and adjust their value of his car based up on this and adjust their offer a little bit. Craigslist was the best and easiest option, but I know he also checked autotrader. Eventually he was able to increase their payout a few hundred more but they fought him all the way.

Very sad:
1) He was the victim
2) The driver who hit his car was 100% fault
3) HIT AND RUN!!!
4) The driver lied to his OWN insurance company and committed fraud according to what I understand as the law.
5) They have the same insurance company - which I think is the problem since AAA had no insurance company to go after maybe?

Anyway, I think about his situation and I feel really bad for him and not so bad for myself. Where is the justice these days...

-Tim

Yup the adjuster said...

if I took the top off he would have to lower the claim payout $650.00...that I just couldn't take the top like it was a bonanza.That it was figured into the assessment.

I was just looking to sell off the top so wasn't worth the $200 or so more dollars I could have gotten on CL.

Will be interesting to see what the "salvage value" turns out to be.

Last time I dealt with a totaled car I was able to keep the car and the insurer deducted the "salvage value" of the car from the settlement. It was an old 87 Taurus that was spun into a barrier in the snow and it was pretty dented up on the back right quarter. I paid some bills with the settlement, then I slapped a nice "bondo and rattle can" job on the car and drove it for two more years. :)

Maybe this type of settlement is a Missouri thing, but it wouldn't hurt to ask if it is possible. Especially if you have lots of custom/performance parts in your X and it is just the nose that is crunched.

First off - I have to say forum members here are the best. I really appreciate the feedback, suggestions and the like. It proves you are all good people and of course (like me) are passionate about your cars.

So (I think) this changes everything really.

Also, Pacifica is a SMALL town, maybe not in population but in how ****e gets around. Not to mention his kids go to my daughters school. I just dont want to deal with that.

I am moving on and now dealing with Insurance BS. I will update all with how that goes, but I do expect to get screwed as I am 100% sure they will total it.

Thanks all
Tim

Sorry to be the suspicious one in all of this, but all he had to do was write "Very Sorry, <name>, <number>". This was too much to write down and tuck under your windshield wiper? He gave this to a "witness" instead? Why not write the note twice then? Why didn't this person come up to you immediately and tell you the situation? If he/she had to leave the scene for some reason, it is hard to imagine they wouldn't then tuck the note under your wiper.

All the other witnesses that told you they were asking him to leave a note, and he was ignoring them (or saying no), were just out of their minds when they felt compelled to record his license plate? It just sounds really fishy to me, but regardless, it is pretty much a case that you have to drop. It just sounds to me that rather than a "witness", this person with the note was a friend...

Anyway, there are worse things in life. Hopefully we can come up with some ideas to get your car fixed. Would be nice if that guy could cover your expenses that insurance does not. As others have said, manning up and making things right says a lot...

Tim... Ryan says is nicer, but that's BULLSH*T...

The cop realizes now he did wrong and is in a real jam so he gets this guy to say he gave him the info to neutralize the hit and run charges...

HORSE MANURE!

Its a small town.... now how do you want to be known as... same for your kid.

Sorry yur in this spot... but you still have the ball.

Last edited:
Seems about rite. I plugged in my cars info into this value thing on the French X1/9 owners club, and my car valued at like 9400 euro thats roughly 12,800 usd. I say don't let this
emot-jerkbag.gif
get away with it. Ive had this jerk cop give me a speeding ticket in '08 and chastise me about safe driving, speed, and how I'm endangering lives etc.:bla: Low and behold 210 rolls around and guess which local cop is on the news for crashing a police-car at 90mph with no stated emergency in the logs. BURN HIS ASS!!

The adjuster came out this morning and as expected a little puzzled by the car make/model and of course they don't have it in their computer and he couldn't find it. Meanwhile however they offered if I just want the car fixed and be done with it, they will send over to a local auto body shop who is "certified" by them. The place also happens to be a pretty decent place thats been around for EVER, family friends etc.

I am leaning towards just getting the work done and moving on. Thoughts or experience with this sort of tactic?

Thanks,
Tim

BTW - same shop quoted me 1600.00 for the work, so I am guessing my insurance will pay 30% less to the shop.

-Tim

Get it fixed

And sometimes the shop will do a little extra work for a discount price since the car is in there getting fixed anyway. I haven't seen your whole car, but getting it fixed and being done with it is usually better than putting it off and just getting a check.

Tim... I know I've been hard on ya...

... but its because I'm on YOUR side...

Who's insurance is this... his or yours? Better be HIS!

Get a rental car thrown in for the duration of the repair and a do NOT return the loaner until you are satisfied. Have them deliver the rental to the shop or pick you up.

Then continue with your COMPLAINT to the authorities also...

I wish you the best...

Tony

Tim, let me know if you want my front nose section I offered earlier. It'd free of charge, just pay shipping.

I can post pics if needed.

Tim, let me know if you want my front nose section I offered earlier. It'd free of charge, just pay shipping.

I can post pics if needed.

I really appreciate the offer. The car is in the shop now. I am going to vist today and talk to the owner about how he intends to replace/fix everything. I might take you up on your offer depending on what they say.

Thanks!
-Tim

... but its because I'm on YOUR side...

Who's insurance is this... his or yours? Better be HIS!

Get a rental car thrown in for the duration of the repair and a do NOT return the loaner until you are satisfied. Have them deliver the rental to the shop or pick you up.

Then continue with your COMPLAINT to the authorities also...

I wish you the best...

Tony

Tony, I know you have my interest in mind. Car is at the shop and a rental - Chrysler 300. His insurance is picking up the whole bill.

Thanks,
Tim

Back