X stalls

Baxter805

1984 X19
My 84 fuel injected X has been stalling at traffic lights when cold. I haven't given it a chance to warm up to see if it still stalls. It had done this before occassionally, but now seems pretty consistant.

I'm thinking it needs idle adjustment or is a vacumn leak. I don't have any tools for idle adjustment, can I just estimate and turn 1/4 inch either direction - if so should it be clockwise or counterclockwise and where is the screw located? It seems to be right about 1000 RPM before it drops down and dies.

For vacucumn leak test - I hear about starter fluid test or soap and water, I would rather use soap and water, but how exactly is this done?
:)
Thanks

Other things to check...

You might also like to have a look at:

• the auxiliary air valve (which should open when cold causing the idle to increase)
  • the temperature sender for the fuel injection (mounted in the thermostat housing)
  • the thermo time switch (mounted in the head)
Cheers,
Dom.

The aux air valve doesn't typically shut suddenly, it closes slowly with warmth and voltage (causing warmth inside).

The thermo time switch is really only used during starting and only when really cold.

I suspect your Temp Sensor II (in the thermostat housing) is faulty or has a loose connection. You can test it with a VOM, it should give a resistance of 2700 ohms or so cold, and about 250 or so fully warmed up.

Yep... but a few hand tools...

... is all ya need. (For more indepth "shooting", a test light and multimeter are required though, but only basic skills and understanding.)

Do look up and download the FI Troubleshooting guide.

I suggest PRINTING it and then READING it cover to cover first. Its an easy read... as it repeats itself over and over for every issue. Looks long and intense, but its very ACCURATE and SYSTEMATIC at finding what ails your FI issue.

For vacuum leaks... there are two EASY methods I like to use, none of which includes soap and water. We are not looking for air escaping and making bubbles, we are looking for air getting in.

An UN-LIT Propane torch is clean and easy. Simply turn on the gas LOW and sweep the nozzle slowly around suspected fittings and hoses.

If there is a vacuum leak, the propane is sucked in and the engine speeds up!

WD40 works just as well, leaves a bit of a "mess", but wiping it off usually cleans up the surfaces and makes things look clean and shinny.

Shoot me a private email and we can exchange numbers, possibly I can come by and help, or help over the phone. Black Tooth gave me a bit o' trouble yesterday also... and I gotta make some time for him too!

Back