X1/9 On Upcoming Season Of Wheeler Dealers

They didn't include the cost of repairing the windshield surround and the paint they obviously applied to the surround

I'm not sure they did apply any color-matched paint. If you watched the repair of that area, Ant cut right at the 90 degree corner where the cowl folds down to contain the windshield. Then later on they have that awful too-large, too-modern rubber seal around the windshield that completely covers the area all the way down to below where the wiper stands start. No need to color-match paint you'll never see. I think that may be why they went with that instead of re-using the original trim, which Ant stated would "clean up nicely".

Not sure if other areas of the car were painted, or just cleaned up. Maybe they got away with no paint being matched/mixed.

Carl, that stuff is common on eBay, sold by the foot. A lot of it is quite a bit smaller than what WD used.

If
I'm not sure they did apply any color-matched paint. If you watched the repair of that area, Ant cut right at the 90 degree corner where the cowl folds down to contain the windshield. Then later on they have that awful too-large, too-modern rubber seal around the windshield that completely covers the area all the way down to below where the wiper stands start. No need to color-match paint you'll never see. I think that may be why they went with that instead of re-using the original trim, which Ant stated would "clean up nicely".

Not sure if other areas of the car were painted, or just cleaned up. Maybe they got away with no paint being matched/mixed.

Carl, that stuff is common on eBay, sold by the foot. A lot of it is quite a bit smaller than what WD used.
+1

A nice fat chunky rubber strip would help hide the repairs. OTOH the paint guru, Mel, was there in the shop doing the pin stripe removal with Mike and the windshield had not been reinstalled by that point, so maybe he did a little spot touch up and blending and they didn't have time to include it in the final edit. Probably a combination of both.

They also replaced expansion tank. At the end is stainless steel.

Attachments

• expansion tank.jpg
    expansion tank.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 88
Does anyone know why the changed out the entire cooling system? I was not aware it was a problem.

Does anyone know why the changed out the entire cooling system? I was not aware it was a problem.
Had You ever make a hole in old rubber coolant pipe with finger testing a pressure in system? I have :D

One thing I didn’t like they called it rust free, it was not and is not.
Mechanic looked like he has worked on X19 not first time

Just cannot get excited about broadcast stuff like this. Yes, good to see the exxe get media coverage, question becomes which myths will be perpetuated and what will they actually DO to this exxe.. The preview bellows "rust"... will they focus on that .... again?

Comments post viewing of what happened.
Bernice

Had You ever make a hole in old rubber coolant pipe with finger testing a pressure in system? I have :D

One thing I didn’t like they called it rust free, it was not and is not.
Mechanic looked like he has worked on X19 not first time
Didn’t they say there WAS rust, just very little considering the vehicle it is? That’s what I heard?
They also changed/modified the exhaust tips with no mention of that either.
Not sure they did - those were visible in the original on-line ad. I would think if they changed them, they’d change them back to stock like they did with the RX-7? I’ll have to see if they’re visible in the pre-garage footage.

Didn’t they say there WAS rust, just very little considering the vehicle it is? That’s what I heard?

Not sure they did - those were visible in the original on-line ad. I would think if they changed them, they’d change them back to stock like they did with the RX-7? I’ll have to see if they’re visible in the pre-garage footage.
All I heard was “rust-free with rust” :D

They also replaced expansion tank. At the end is stainless steel.

Swapped out the later edition plastic tank for metal---Yes. But not necessarily stainless steel. If I remember my years correctly, USA cars had stamped steel expansion tanks from 74 thru 78, but only one year, 78, were they stainless steel.

In the wrap-up driving segment, I think Ant mentioned that the car was tending to run hot. Give the fact that the radiator, hoses, hose clamps, and likely the thermostat were original to a 46+ year old car, it probably did run warm. And working on the cooling system did serve several purposes: it corrected the hot running; it served as the one of the three major mechanical jobs performed on the car, and it gave Ant subject matter for his "instructional" lines: the use of cotter pin bands for hose clamps by the Italian car industry, single vs two row rads, and a quick rundown on how to cool a mid-engine car.

I think I recognized the new rad as Midwest-Bayless's CSF-manufactured radiator. These come from MWB with the CSF logo painted into the rad fins---if you look closely you can tell on the one used in the show that the CSF logo was painted over.

Just watched the episode. Loved it! Mike and Ant really seemed to appreciate the car and I thought they presented the X in a really good light. Yeah, they probably mentioned rust a few too many times, but overall I thought it was a great episode.

The windshield surround looked something like this. https://www.midwest-bayless.com/Fia...k-rubber-fiat-bertone-x19-128-lancia-new.aspx. Not my favorite look, but a decent alternative.
They both really liked the car. Wonder why Ant never gets to drive?

From the Bayless site: “This is a good looking and easy to use solution to replace the fussy metal outer windshield trim.”
Not to mention future rust problems. It’s not as petite as the silver metal frame, but saves the car going forward......

Last edited:
Just watched the episode. I would have painted those ugly chrome bumpers and removed the Amco (or whoever they were) aftermarket bars between the bumper blocks. That car also deserved much better wheels than those 1980 steelies. And of course those seat covers--yech.

Smart move removing that pinstripe nonsense. Love to go back in time and slap the hands of the person who decided that would have looked good. haha.

I've never liked the four outlet Ansas on these cars. They aren't V8s or V12s. I would have gone back to a more fitting exhaust myself.

And actually, I thought the windshield surround actually looked good. I probably would have finished the job by going black on all the rest of the chrome. Doesn't work for all colors, but certainly works for verde chiaro.

Looked like a really nice car that only needed a few things to make it really shine. It helps to start with a small bumper green on black initially--from there amazing things can happen. :)

Back