X1/9 On Upcoming Season Of Wheeler Dealers

Just watched the episode. I would have painted those ugly chrome bumpers and removed the Amco (or whoever they were) aftermarket bars between the bumper blocks. That car also deserved much better wheels than those 1980 steelies. And of course those seat covers--yech.

Smart move removing that pinstripe nonsense. Love to go back in time and slap the hands of the person who decided that would have looked good. haha.

I've never liked the four outlet Ansas on these cars. They aren't V8s or V12s. I would have gone back to a more fitting exhaust myself.

And actually, I thought the windshield surround actually looked good. I probably would have finished the job by going black on all the rest of the chrome. Doesn't work for all colors, but certainly works for verde chiaro.

Looked like a really nice car that only needed a few things to make it really shine. It helps to start with a small bumper green on black initially--from there amazing things can happen. :)

If I were the new owner:

IIRC chrome bumpers came only on the special Euro "Lido" edition, so maybe instead of painting, I would at least be inclined to see if they would generate interest in Europe, then get a set of original or repro USA small bumpers. All subject to availability of course.

I like the look of the Ansa four outlet system, but if they drone at highway speeds I'd try something else.

Agree on the greenhouse trim, either all bright as original, or all black like the late 86s and later.

We didn't see much of the seating, but the dash had the unfortunate cracks and the carpet look dirty/stained/tired. No inexpensive fix for the dash but plenty of acceptable carpet options.

" It helps to start with a small bumper green on black initially" Amen to that!

Hard to tell but it looks like they painted the dented front spoiler and maybe the passenger door near the handle that was cracked. The episode was really poor. Pull out the motor for the rear seal and ignore the front seal?? Timing belt? Take out the dash but don't fix the cracks? After the show I was wondering what was the point of doing an X? My favorite show is getting lazy.

Well.....IMHO the show, went south when they moved to the US, no offence intended. The focus moved away from the engineering and more into the commercial stuff. As for Chrome Bumpers @Dan absolutely they are rare as rocking horse poop. Mine are at the metal finishers at the moment to be chromed and it’s costing me a fine amount of beer money to get them done.

Well.....IMHO the show, went south when they moved to the US, no offence intended. The focus moved away from the engineering and more into the commercial stuff. As for Chrome Bumpers @Dan absolutely they are rare as rocking horse poop. Mine are at the metal finishers at the moment to be chromed and it’s costing me a fine amount of beer money to get them done.
All the online research I could find about those chrome center pieces also turned up very little. Maybe taken from the ‘Lido: Limited Edition’, but that was in 1980, and in Europe only? I wonder if the car has Italian ties somehow. Honestly, I like them, much better than ANY of the ‘bumper car’ units seen on most X’s, but I’m usually outstanding in my field, so to speak. ;)

All the online research I could find about those chrome center pieces also turned up very little. Maybe taken from the ‘Lido: Limited Edition’, but that was in 1980, and in Europe only? I wonder if the car has Italian ties somehow. Honestly, I like them, much better than ANY of the ‘bumper car’ units seen on most X’s, but I’m usually outstanding in my field, so to speak. ;)

Amco.
EB0AA7F4-CD94-4F55-8772-14031BCE53D1.jpeg

When I saw the chrome bumpers, I first assumed that they were from a Euro Lido. The thing is, the US market '74 blade bumpers are not the same as the similar looking Euro blades and are not interchangeable to my understanding. I wonder if they really were Lido blades and the original owner somehow modded them to work, or if they had the original '74 blades chromed. The original owner obviously had a different sense of style as evidenced by the pinstriping.

When I saw the chrome bumpers, I first assumed that they were from a Euro Lido. The thing is, the US market '74 blade bumpers are not the same as the similar looking Euro blades and are not interchangeable to my understanding. I wonder if they really were Lido blades and the original owner somehow modded them to work, or if they had the original '74 blades chromed. The original owner obviously had a different sense of style as evidenced by the pinstriping.
Can you put Euro/Lido bumperettes on USA bumper brackets?

Hey, good find. Love them! Not a fan of the targa roof or luggage rack, gear knob or armrest (although I like other’s I‘ve seen), but the bumpers - superb.
I hate those bumper bars. In fact, that whole catalog is cheap nonsense as far as I'm concerned. But it's certainly period correct! :)

As a young car enthusiast during the Amco years I can say they did not sell performance oriented stuff and the products they sold were considered appropriate at the time. Grill badges and Lucas Flamethrowers would be period correct also as well as leather steering wheel wraps. You had to go to FAZA for the serious stuff...and good luck with that!

I hate those bumper bars. In fact, that whole catalog is cheap nonsense as far as I'm concerned. But it's certainly period correct! :)
Yes, I believe you previously mentioned that :) It’s interesting all the things people here HATE about the car, WD didn’t even mention, well, besides the tattoo - which we all likely agree on. Glass half-full? Keep Calm & Carry On? Must be a British thing. Then again, there’s the British tabloid press...

Yes, I believe you previously mentioned that :) It’s interesting all the things people here HATE about the car, WD didn’t even mention, well, besides the tattoo - which we all likely agree on. Glass half-full? Keep Calm & Carry On? Must be a British thing. Then again, there’s the British tabloid press...

Don't get me wrong, I love the car. It just needs a few more things to tidy it up proper. :) Mostly reversing easily reversible PO mods.

Those are the Lido bumpers. They are the same size bumpers as all of the other Euro bumpered 1300's, except they were chromed for the Lido instead of the standard flat black. The Lido was European only.
Sorry, when I said ‘these’, I meant the Wheeler Dealers car.

For people who DON’T subscribe to MotorTrend TV Streaming, the X 1/9 episode premieres tonight on the regular, MotorTrend TV cable channel. And on January 4th in the U.K. from the looks of things. Not sure about Canada and Australia though...

Back