X1/9 Project Dead-Pool gets a Turbo

abec

Wil
So I named my x1/9, project Deadpool, named after my favorite anti hero Deadpool.

deadpool-scooter.jpg

And well today I just picked up a turbo for Project Deadpool. Here is my T3 IHI.
t3_turbo.jpg

This should be fun!

5 lbs on a 1.5... that's a lot of work for not a lot of air, what kind of increase are you looking at?

5lbs should put the engine around 150hp.

I am setting my car up for canyon driving, so more power isn't really needed. 150 should be plenty for now, if not ill drop the compression and up the boost a bit.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but 150 may be a little high for 5lbs boost.

5psi will yeild a 'theoretical' 33% increase over a normally asperated engine (5psi is approx 1/3 of the 14psi atmosphere at sea level). I say theoretical because that assumes no pumping losses and 100% efficiency in the compressor (not realistic). Also assuming a 'good' street 1500 engine puts out about 100hp (Mad Matt's HP racecar put out 107hp at the wheels), that would be an engine that puts out about 125hp. Not bad, but 25hp is a lot on this car.

My calculations for my 2.0L twincam with 12psi and decent intercooling is about 185hp...

I will encourage you to go on with your project, I just want to let you know what you might expect.

Well im not just throwing on the turbo and calling it a day. Along with the turbo I will be installing injectors, intercooler, a turbo cam, porting the head, a baffled oil pan, and an oil cooler. So I will be seeing gains of elsewhere to support the turbo gains.

I admit 150 is a bit of a round up... 140-145 is more accurate to what I expect on 5 lbs, 7 lbs should get me to 160hp and I don't think boosting above that would be safe on pump gas without dropping my compression. I think that 150 is within grasp though.

... and all "smog-legal" as well!

HAHAHA...

I'm just up too late Wil... I wanna see this happen as much as you do!

Go for it!

Interesting project, keep us updated with progress :)

Where are you planning to install the intercooler?

Compression ratio?

A turbo with a 10.5 compression ratio seems to be asking for detonation problems. Perhaps a thicker head gasket will help for now?

I have only put a turbo on one car, and that was in 1975 so the technology has come a long way since then, but lower compression on turbo motors still seems to be the norm to avoid serious internal damage.

It depends on the application.

If you want top end HP, you go for low compression high boost. This is the typical way to tune a turbo car. You can run a lot of boost this way, but you will end up having more turbo lag as well. Its much safer as well, as a boost spike is less likely to blow your motor.

Running boost on an engine with high compression you get greater amounts of torque. The issue is you are fairly limited on how much boost you can run due to the already high static compression ratio. Obviously less room for error if you get a boost spike a few pounds can push you past the limit.

Running a thicker head gasket is something I plan on doing. The pistons I have have been designed for turbo applications and have a thicker crown designed to hold boost, but as far as I know though I will be the first to use them in a turbo application.

A turbo with a 10.5 compression ratio seems to be asking for detonation problems. Perhaps a thicker head gasket will help for now?

I have only put a turbo on one car, and that was in 1975 so the technology has come a long way since then, but lower compression on turbo motors still seems to be the norm to avoid serious internal damage.

5psi will yeild a 'theoretical' 33% increase over a normally asperated engine (5psi is approx 1/3 of the 14psi atmosphere at sea level). I say theoretical because that assumes no pumping losses and 100% efficiency in the compressor (not realistic). Also assuming a 'good' street 1500 engine puts out about 100hp (Mad Matt's HP racecar put out 107hp at the wheels), that would be an engine that puts out about 125hp. Not bad, but 25hp is a lot on this car.

I've heard a similar theory from the drag crowd regarding turbos as well. They estimate an additional 8% power per psi from the base horsepower. Assuming you build a 100 crank hp engine, then 5 psi (40%) would net you around 140 at the crank.

Personaly I'd opt for a lower CR and more boost. The extra torque from a high CR will only be felt off boost, not while on boost. Since torque is a product of pressure, more torque will be made with higher cylinder pressure, ie more boost.

I've heard a similar theory from the drag crowd regarding turbos as well. They estimate an additional 8% power per psi from the base horsepower. Assuming you build a 100 crank hp engine, then 5 psi (40%) would net you around 140 at the crank.

Personaly I'd opt for a lower CR and more boost. The extra torque from a high CR will only be felt off boost, not while on boost. Since torque is a product of pressure, more torque will be made with higher cylinder pressure, ie more boost.

You yield torque and power faster as HC, so your powerband will be much wider. With low compression high boost you may have more power and torque over all, but it ends up being all in the mid to high rpms. Good for a road course, but not as good for a rally or canyon car where often you have to make a sharp U turn and you would drop out of your power band on a typical race engine.

You yield torque and power faster as HC, so your powerband will be much wider. With low compression high boost you may have more power and torque over all, but it ends up being all in the mid to high rpms. Good for a road course, but not as good for a rally or canyon car where often you have to make a sharp U turn and you would drop out of your power band on a typical race engine.

Just curious as to what you consider low rpm. Considering the relatively short geaing of an X, it's not difficult to keep the rpm around 3500 where a properly sized turbo would start building boost. And I've done my fair share of winding roads and slaloms. Again, just an opinion, no offence meant to anyone, YMMV.

0-3500 low, 3500-5500 mid, 5500+ high

This is how my ideal dyno chart looks. This dyno is of a chipped 2000 vw 20v 1.8t. I love the 1.8t engine and powerband.
GIACruns.gif

Back