X1/9 Project Dead-Pool gets a Turbo

I won't argue with the vw numbers, the only problem is it's bore/stroke ratio is opposite to the of the X. The vw is some 20+ mm longer stroke, which will favor bottom end power versus top. Something to consider.

I won't argue with the vw numbers, the only problem is it's bore/stroke ratio is opposite to the of the X. The vw is some 20+ mm longer stroke, which will favor bottom end power versus top. Something to consider.

Yes, i know all of this. I posted that dyno just to show what kind of power band I prefer.

This is more to what I expect, I expect more low end torque and the power to come on sooner resulting in a flatter power band.

(D15 turbo)
dyno-chart.jpg

But this is all theories, I have not seen or heard of a 1500 high comp turbo motor. So in the end it will be some r&d going on to reach my desired results.

Lots of commentary on theory etc, what does a street built UNO turbo engine do, for that matter a built Normally Aspirated, 170/130 resp? I think you will get the power but your clutch/trans may be the concern. Lots of "throw away" ecus (ebay tuner parts put up for fast sale) that will manage the engine concerning the compression, etc, check the Euro sites for examples. The one thing I recommend is to just do it. There will be tuning issues etc at first that that is normal. Also a key point I don't think discussed is the volumetric flow as well as pressure. The T3 (whatever spec it is i.e. trim) may be a bit big for the 1.5 but check the pressure map. Either way you got it, its yours, so JUST DO IT! I am looking forward to your results.

I have seen some X 1/9 turbo setups and the turbo itself placed all over the place. Where on the hot side are you considering insalling the unit?

The car has a spec stage3 + clutch already, the trans is the weak point at the moment. I also already have a HALTECH programmable stand alone ecu, but I need to upgrade my ignition system.

The t3 trim is on the smaller side, though i need to double check the range on the turbo. Its an oem turbo from an audi, and then was used on a civic.

Lots of commentary on theory etc, what does a street built UNO turbo engine do, for that matter a built Normally Aspirated, 170/130 resp? I think you will get the power but your clutch/trans may be the concern. Lots of "throw away" ecus (ebay tuner parts put up for fast sale) that will manage the engine concerning the compression, etc, check the Euro sites for examples. The one thing I recommend is to just do it. There will be tuning issues etc at first that that is normal. Also a key point I don't think discussed is the volumetric flow as well as pressure. The T3 (whatever spec it is i.e. trim) may be a bit big for the 1.5 but check the pressure map. Either way you got it, its yours, so JUST DO IT! I am looking forward to your results.

Be careful of the turbo size.

I too had a turbo for a civic or some such and tried to use it on my Uno Turbo. Pretty funny actually. It was like driving a normal Fiat until about 6k rpm, then it started to pick up a bit, but not much.

The most boost I could get from it was about 3psi. Simply not enough exhaust to create the boost I was looking for.

I ended up buying a new turbo from SPA turbo in Italy. It was label for a mercedes benz 1.2 gas engine of some type.

Now the car runs really really well. Very quick spool and does not run out until 8500rpm or so.

This is using a type II exhaust manifold which allowed me to shop for turbos with T25 adapters versus the annoying IHI adapter from the Type 1 Manifolds.

Eric.

well I did do some digging, as this turbo is on the larger side of what I planned. I found out that its a turbo from a 2.3L turbo Tbird.

Here are what I believe are the specs:

Warner-ISHI RHB5
Air Flow Rate: 1.4 - 10.8m3/min // 49.4 - 381.4ft3/min
Max Pressure Ratio: 2.8
Maximum Speed: 180 x10^3rpm
Max Allowable Gas Temp: 950 oC // 1742 oF
Diesel Engine Application: 54-154Ps
Gasoline Engine Application: 73-208Ps
Flow:381 CFM

Maybe someone who knows more about sizing turbos can chime in with some more info on if the 1500 can support this turbo or if i need to size down. Though I still believe this turbo will work, but now I am doubting i will get the low end I want.

If you need pistons to louver comp you can use 1.6 is 33.3 comp. height and is deep some - 5.5ccm but haw long will be work with turbo ????

If you need pistons to louver comp you can use 1.6 is 33.3 comp. height and is deep some - 5.5ccm but haw long will be work with turbo ????

Honestly the compression should not be an issue at all.

I am not sure what your question is.

Is there an optimum size commonly available turbo for the 1.5?

If I can get a cheap t3 on ebay it may be more cost effective to turbo the car rather than motorcycle carbs and other items.

Any recommendations on a CHEAP turbo setup?

Its not as cheap as it looks unless you do your own welding, wiring, and tuning. You will end up spending a lot of money on buying all the bits needed to piece together the turbo as you would on carbs.

Now HP:$$ its a better deal to go turbo IMO. You could spend $10k building a high hp NA race engine or you could put 3k into the motor and 3k into turbo and programmable engine management and end up with the same results as the NA motor.

Now those figures are assuming you are paying for labor along the way. If you do your own welding, wiring, and tuning... then its cheaper, but then again if you did all that you would already be doing it :)

Its not as cheap as it looks unless you do your own welding, wiring, and tuning. You will end up spending a lot of money on buying all the bits needed to piece together the turbo as you would on carbs.

Now HP:$$ its a better deal to go turbo IMO. You could spend $10k building a high hp NA race engine or you could put 3k into the motor and 3k into turbo and programmable engine management and end up with the same results as the NA motor.

Now those figures are assuming you are paying for labor along the way. If you do your own welding, wiring, and tuning... then its cheaper, but then again if you did all that you would already be doing it :)

What about getting a junkyard subaru turbo, rebuilding the seals to make it a drawn turbo. Then welding up some connecting pipes out of scrap pipe I have laying around from motorcycle exhausts?

I guess I might need to re-jet the mains right?

I'm talking down and dirty lemons style, not pretty and no rules to follow.

Yea thats always an option. Keeping it carb'd will cut costs too, my biggest cost has been the programmable fuel injection.

What about getting a junkyard subaru turbo, rebuilding the seals to make it a drawn turbo. Then welding up some connecting pipes out of scrap pipe I have laying around from motorcycle exhausts?

I guess I might need to re-jet the mains right?

I'm talking down and dirty lemons style, not pretty and no rules to follow.

Back