X1/9 T-Shirt Design

I also might change up her waistline area as something seems off.

This is such a great composition. Re: the waistline, I think part of the issue is the model's right side (viewer's left) armpit-to-hip area. The original model's armpit-to-hip line is longer than the drawn model's. That tends to make the drawn model's torso look a bit squished. The original also has her right forearm drawn in at more of an acute angle. (Along the same lines, you might also move your model's head up a bit--note how the original has elongated her neck to avoid looking hunched.)

1625402306458.png1625402323344.png

Another issue arises b/c the original model is standing in a "thrust" pose to try to make it look like she has hips when she's actually super skinny. Because it's unnatural, that pose is hard to translate to drawings/paintings. One suggestion is to straighten out the model's right knee/leg. I think the original model's right knee only *looks* bent because of the natural shape of the thigh/knee/calf area + we can't see the rest of her leg. But she looks to be doing the classic end-of-catwalk pose:

1625403207233.png

I told my wife that this was all I wanted for Father's Day. Thankfully, she obliged.
I'm pretty sure this is Riccardo's car. Hope he's aware of it and gave permission.
Saw it in a Facebook Ad. I don't normally buy stuff off of FB. But I thought this was cool enough to take a chance.
They sent the wrong color shirt, and when contacted about it, they sent another one (still wrong color and wrong size)... but this was my second color choice. Wish the image of the car itself was customizable. I would love to have this in my Rosso Arancio.
I draped my fat ass in this at FFO. Got a lot of compliments on it.

Resized_20210704_100520.jpeg

I told my wife that this was all I wanted for Father's Day. Thankfully, she obliged.
I'm pretty sure this is Riccardo's car. Hope he's aware of it and gave permission.
Saw it in a Facebook Ad. I don't normally buy stuff off of FB. But I thought this was cool enough to take a chance.
They sent the wrong color shirt, and when contacted about it, they sent another one (still wrong color and wrong size)... but this was my second color choice. Wish the image of the car itself was customizable. I would love to have this in my Rosso Arancio.

View attachment 49150
I got the same sweatshirt - the print quality was not particularly good. T-shirt looks much better.

Very artistic. I'm getting the impression you might be more interested in the girl than the car? :p
Not necessarily more interesting in the girl. I am actually quite pleased with the x1/9. To me I like the lines I added there except for the grill but really wi probably keep it as is.
Part of me tempted to remove the girl depending on price. Color counts drive price too.
but really who doesn’t like a period correct Italian auto photo shoot?

Last edited:

View attachment 49150
I have not spec’ed out a new custom search but would like to use a company from my home town that does all our school shirts. I wonder if it’s color count or pattern count (each color driving a “pattern”) that drives cost.

when I get the next shirt done, x1/9 on roof test track I will reach out to the store and see what can be done. Cost is significantly cheaper if I do the design work vs them. I might have to tweak stuff depending on manufacturability but will do that when the time comes.

This is such a great composition. Re: the waistline, I think part of the issue is the model's right side (viewer's left) armpit-to-hip area. The original model's armpit-to-hip line is longer than the drawn model's. That tends to make the drawn model's torso look a bit squished. The original also has her right forearm drawn in at more of an acute angle. (Along the same lines, you might also move your model's head up a bit--note how the original has elongated her neck to avoid looking hunched.)

View attachment 49147View attachment 49148

Another issue arises b/c the original model is standing in a "thrust" pose to try to make it look like she has hips when she's actually super skinny. Because it's unnatural, that pose is hard to translate to drawings/paintings. One suggestion is to straighten out the model's right knee/leg. I think the original model's right knee only *looks* bent because of the natural shape of the thigh/knee/calf area + we can't see the rest of her leg. But she looks to be doing the classic end-of-catwalk pose:

View attachment 49149
Thanks for the advice!!! I think you’ve done a fair amount of drawing of your own judging by how you analyzed the issue. I didn’t even look at the left side. Somehow I did change the direction of her arm intentionally but kind of like it. This too might add to the unnatural look.

Not necessarily more interesting in the girl. I am actually quite pleased with the x1/9. To me I like the lines I added there except for the grill but really wi probably keep it as is.
Part of me tempted to remove the girl depending on price. Color counts drive price too.
but really who doesn’t like a period correct Italian auto photo shoot?
I was just giving you a hard time. I didn't realize the overall design was from an existing photo, but after seeing it I see where your inclusion of the girl came from. And I completely agree that a nice Italian girl adds to any Italian car image. Here are a few examples:

d43cdf545e52ff015684f79442d61493.jpg
cf4c527c14f50ed961d6e7c69f2b4ef5--fiat-x-italian-style.jpg
x19_1978_1300_lido.jpg
31310748_172116036830237_4832697635250896896_n.jpg
625f7c88b8d1e9a55f7060a9626405ee.jpg
cccc1c54592a78052c2c33320af4543f--fiat--jack-daniels.jpg
9b82a581ad683e9f6e306483ffb88eb4.jpg
2011.43.1-d1-2016-12-06.jpg
b57e45538ac3c285674415d3610ada85.jpg
fiat_x1-9_1982_images_1.jpg
FIAT-Vintage-Ad-X19-1972-Bertone.jpg
young-woman-with-her-fiat-x19-sports-car-1983-D3JF3C.jpg
young-woman-with-her-fiat-x19-sports-car-1983-D3JF4R.jpg

A couple of those girls may not be Italian, but there is certainly a trend of women and cars together.

Thanks for the advice!!! I think you’ve done a fair amount of drawing of your own judging by how you analyzed the issue. I didn’t even look at the left side. Somehow I did change the direction of her arm intentionally but kind of like it. This too might add to the unnatural look.
I would not have her form break the cars form. She should end at the edge of the windshield frame on the far side. I would add in the rest of the windshield profile.

Right now she isn’t placed in perspective and the edge of the car loses its volume.

By having her stop at the edge of the car she defines the edge of the car and where she is placed in depth is clear.

30C1F768-ADD0-4A8E-9FE8-EDD3C8D4ACC6.jpeg

I would not have her form break the cars form. She should end at the edge of the windshield frame on the far side. I would add in the rest of the windshield profile.

Right now she isn’t placed in perspective and the edge of the car loses its volume.

By having her stop at the edge of the car she defines the edge of the car and where she is placed in depth is clear.

View attachment 49176
Good point, now that you mention it that line should be complete across the windshield.
Do you think it would also help if she was proportionally a little smaller or perhaps shorter, to lessen her detracting from the car as much? I'm certainly no artist so just throwing out thoughts.

I would like one with just the car, with it outlined in orange.
But everyone has an opinion.
So along those lines if each layer drives cost over the individual color them perhaps that drawing above w/ or w/o girl could be customized by color for not much additional cost. after i get basic designs I will email and discuss with the print shop and see what they say.

Back