your favorite car company?

its an easy question with a complicated answer

Safety= Mercedes Benz
Reliablity= Toyota (especially trucks)
Performance= Ferrari
Resale value= Porsche
Fun= FIAT:drink:

I like the off brand stuff, I've never been a sheep...

Japanese: Subaru, I'm on my second WRX wagon now. My Dad and Lil Bro had Forresters, and my Lil Bro is currently driving an STi.

European: FIAT, I've had a Spider and my current X1/9, my older Bro had various X1/9s when I was a kid growing up.

American: Pontiac, My first car was a 1967 Bonneville, followed by a 1966 GTO, then later i had a Trans AM WS6, and I had a Solstice for awhile until my wife put it into a drift and subsequently a concrete wall.

Old school - AMC. Gotta feel sorry a car company that had everything stacked against them, but still came out with awesome cars like the AMX and the Rebel Machine.

New School - Subaru. Best car on the market in New England, bar NONE. To switch every car offered over to AWD was a stroke of genius. Then... to turbo charge a great little engine like the flat 4 boxer...?

Sentimental - Fiat. With innovative designs in the 60's and 70's, to pulling out of the N.A market, to buying 55% of a big 3 automotive company. Phew... Plus, you gotta love that little X-1/9!

Well, this being a Fiat forum, I'll assume you meant "besides Fiat"... although, just have to say, I can't think of a another car company that made made so much fun out of so few CC's...

Also, I think that most every car company has had its good years, and its bad years. So all my choices have a time stamp...

Saab... before GM took them over 100% in the early '90s. A company that definitely followed its own path. Its cars had the best combination of fun / practicality / performance / safety.

MG... before 1968. "The sports car america loved first". Iconic... Nothing more needs to be said.

Triumph... before it got sucked into British Leyland. Made really fun cars available to the masses... that continue to be highly sought after today.

VW... before 1990. Inventor of the "world car" and "hot hatch"... but seriously lost their way in the last decade of the 20th century making largely forgetable and unreliable cars.

Subaru... for the last 10 years. Probably what both Saab and VW wished they had become...

Mine

1. All time favorite is Duesenberg, probably the best built cars ever on the planet, or the best that ever will be. A time, place, and experience that will likely never be duplicated. They were simultaneously the best built, the fastest, the most luxurious, and the most expensive cars on the planet at the time, and there was nothing that even approached their supremacy, no comparison within even shooting distance. Premium product in short supply.

2. Cadillac - The expression "It's the Cadillac of...." does not mean it's the nicest, though they were luxury cars of their time. Cadillac was the first car company to use standardized, interchangeable parts. So to say "It's the Cadillac" means it's the standard. For the first time you could take parts off of one car and put onto another one, and it would fit every time. Their V8 would become an industry wide standard of quality, way ahead of everyone else. This was largely not the case on the rest of the auto industry in the early years.

3. Ferrari - Passion for racing and a willingness to put race bred technology on the street. I believe there is no other proper car maker in the world that even comes close to Ferrari's vision and boldness to realize it. Number one in the world today, hands down. Enzo Ferrari was legendary for his indifference to customers, that's why we now have Lamborghini, but his passion alone produced street going cars with world class racing potential. The 250 GTO SWB will likely never be equaled in contemporary capability, it was an astounding, world-beating car that rolled out of a small factory with a dictatorial and super-focused owner. Why do you think Fiat bought them after that?? (Interesting historical note. Enzo Ferrari's extensive use of 12 cylinder engines came from his early encounter with a 12 cylinder Packard army car, Packard made the first 12 cylinder. Ferrari later said he married the twelve cylinder and never divorced it.)

4. The original Dodge - John and Horace Dodge were the genius engineers that actually made the original assembly line for Henry Ford, (the original building still exists in Detroit, and is not a museum, just an old non-descript building.) And the truth is, they actually engineered and manufactured the chassis, engine, and transmission of original Ford cars and for several years until Ford could start making his own, which were not as high in quality as they Dodge made 'rigs' as they were called. They had a huge parts business selling parts for many types of cars and had a tremendous reputation. When they decided to build their own car to occupy the niche between Ford and the more expensive cars (their target was around $800, which was alot at the time), 22,000 dealership applications arrived before they had even finished the car. Both brothers died within six months of each other from the Flu, and John's widow built a 180,000 sq. ft. Tudor mansion in Pontiac, MI, that still stands today. I love these guys because of their vision. I also love the 60's and 70's era Mopar cars, the essence of the muscle cars. All the other folks postured and talked tough, but Mopar owned the muscle car era without qualification.

5. Fiat - I like these cars strictly by accident and only because I happen to have owned them for just over 10 years. The Italians are idiosyncratic in almost every conceivable expression of humanity, from art to wine to cars. Most people either love it or they hate it. I love it. Fiats are not the epitome of anything, but most closely resemble the GM of Europe, and they've always made good consumer cars. If you take the X1/9 to be typical of Fiat, you'd be wrong. The X is a unique car from a unique era, notice how Fiat hasn't done anything close to that since. Their 8V from the 50's was an incredible car, but Fiat is the mass producer of cars in Europe as much as any other and overall, just a mass produced car. The Spider and X are bright spots and hence have a cult following. I like Fiat for what it is, there is nothing otherwise overwhelmningly impressive about them as a car maker. Incidentally, Packard was founded the same year as Fiat, 1899. It's noteworthy too that Packard first used a steering wheel instead of a tiller!

Last edited:
Don't Hate Me Because I'm Beatiful....

Like most people here, I have owned Fiats for a long time, so my favorite car company is obvious....

However, for a DD, i have been a Honda fan since 1984, until.....

This has been my daily driver since October:

Call me crazy, but Ford...yes old Henry's company, the one that did not need a bailout, makes a wonderful car.

The only other car that impressed me more on a first test drive was the 1972 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe, which I instantly bought (as I did the Mustang).

I concider myself very lucky to have two great cars in my stable!

Fav company or fav make

As far as car company, I look at how they handle problems with the cars to make my conclusions. Second I look at how they embrace ADVANCING their designs. Most companies deny faults and cause their customers grief when there is a legitimate problem. Even Toyota, who makes a great car, has a history of denying legitimate claims by their customers when they have obvious failures. ( the current accelration issue is exempt from my observation) GM, Chrysler and Ford are average at best. The Japanese companies are better but not perfect. Honda probably wins. VW has a serious attitude and is a pill for their customers. Audi ( same company) is a little better. MB is middle of the road and BMW wins. I remember back in the 90's when there was a issue with carbon deposits on the intake valves for ALL cars. GM denied the problem, Mercedes charged you to fix it and BMW not only did the work for free but researched the problem and wrote the definitive SAE papers on how the Gas Companies could reformulate the fuel to rectify the problem. The solution was to pull the intake manifold and bead blast the valves. BMW went further and replaced ignition components, wires, etc. Average cost was around $1800 per car, all free.

Regarding advancing design, Ford and GM have a long history of being ten years behind the curve in design and execution. GM has invented many great things ( magnetic shock system that is available on the Vette and is licensed to Ferrari) but only uses the cheapest stuff on most cars. The Germans lead the way and actually make better cars every year. The Japanese are good at this also however they are all boring to drive. The technologies I refer to are drive by wire, variable valves, transmission advancements, etc.

My vote goes to BMW. Second place to Ferrari.

For the reliability and the investment Toyota and Honda.
For my emotive and pleasure my X Fiat/Bertone:)

Yves

Favorite...

While I think that Toyota makes good cars, I don't think they are as reliable as everyone thinks. The perception of reliability is more of a marketing matter than anything else. The public has decided that they like boring cars so Toyota has experienced rapid growth. I don't think Toyotas are bad cars, just overrated. Same goes for most of the Asian cars.

I must say that I have always liked Fords. Yeah I know, they are not the most technologically advanced or cutting edge cars out there but they do what they were designed to do and do it well. They are designed to a price-point using the automotive manufacturing system that makes it difficult to build a good product efficiently with the massive overhead they have in place. We have had many Ford products and they have all been great. My Mustang is fun to drive and will put a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel. Ford planned ahead and didn't have to take the bail out money, kudos to them. Of course I like Fiats, for different reasons of course. I love the Italian style and quirky nature of these cars.

I also like Mazdas. I will not even start with the exotic cars, love them!

My Stang
25363_1392817541134_1253028430_1127347_3421447_n.jpg

Does anyone recognize this location?
n1253028430_183512_2708.jpg

It is the famous location...

That Bertone used to photograph most of the cars. It was a quarry nearby that they would drive over to and shoot cars.

history_bertone01.jpg
chevrolet-corvette-zr-1-based-bertone-mantide-4.jpg
Bertone_Corvette_Ramarro.jpg

Besides "Anything Italian", I always loved old (late 60s, early 70s) MOPAR muscle cars the most. My uncle used to have a whole collection of them.

Plum Crazy Purple Cuda was my favorite he had. (the pic is not his, but it looked just like this one...)

cuda1.jpg

Never really thought about it. Ive had lots of v dubs,only one was new though. 83 gti, 81 wabbit trk, 63 bug, 65 baja and others. Bought new mazdas, toyota, , fords and one chevy. The most new cars I bought were from Ford so I guess thats it. From all my cars the ones i miss the most are my 90 ranger 4x4 with 6 inches of lift, 411,s and an auburn then the other was my 84 mustand gt with a 5 speed, my first v 8. 3rd runner up would be mt Gti. Love my Fiats but dont consider them my cars, just my toys.

Good question...

First fave is VW...I disagree with the statement that the last 10 yrs of VW in the 20th century produced forgettable cars...here's a few of mine that I own or owned in the past..the red one got alot of thumbs up and great comments...owned it for 17 years until it met the rear bumper of a flat-bed tow truck..
DSC00854.jpg

stealthcorrado32.jpg

Cabrioad1.jpg

DSC01262.jpg

P1010139_50.jpg

DSC00506-1.jpg

Scirocco-1.jpg

91Jetta2.jpg

VOJE9698.jpg

The Jetta's were "garden variety" cars, but were great family haulers, and better looking than honda civics that's for sure...

Ferraris, especially the ones from the 70's-80's

And of course, Bertone bodied cars, namely Lamborghini of the 60's-80's

Back