Making of a 308 interior

However I've also never lived in a cold climate so maybe it has more effect elsewhere..

Sorry, but this says it all :D

The seal would not be complex or difficult. The new dash already has the abutment to the door built into the design :) the Volvo design on these is simple & effective. They work, and don't have to be obtrusive or large. I also drive my X is weather where fogging can be an issue.

1985-_Ferrari-308-_GTSi-_QV-interior.jpg

Last edited:
The problem here for me is that I don't plan on doing any driving if the weather isn't good. This is a great idea that I don't think I would ever use. So this is going to have to be your thing Hussein. ;)

Work on the center console continues.... Question: How important is an armrest?

I found a 308 configuration with a box at the back of the center console. In the ferrari there isn't really any cushion on top of it but that could easily be changed. I think I like the look of the sunken trap door though but a cumfy armrest would be nice? Any opinions one way or another?

308consolearmrest.jpg

armrestdown.jpg

armrestup.jpg

Hey Hussein, great question - and I'm glad you asked because I haven't even started thinking about it yet. :D I'm still at the stage of sourcing parts for the gauge cluster and such. I have only used the thicker stuff previously (maybe 6 oz and the like - Bondo sells it buy the square yard I think ) but that sounds too thick to get it to fit the type of angles I will have here.

More questions - I've been looking at possible coverings. Are you planning on using a foam backed (fake leather) vinyl or actual leather for the dash, console & armrests? I've found a couple versions sold as headliner material (with either a 1/8" or 1/4" foam backing). I'm thinking straight vinyl or leather over the fiberglass without some kind of cushion is not going to look or feel great. Thought about CF also, but that seems like a nightmare. I've used suede and tapestry to recover Volvo dashes & headliners back in the 80's, but that was over the existing foam. Have you thought about this at all? Curious what your ideas are.

The binnacle I want to make has more complex compound curves at the ends, which I'm sure is going to be a PITA to wrap, even with unbacked vinyl or leather.

Last edited:

I found a 308 configuration with a box at the back of the center console. In the ferrari there isn't really any cushion on top of it but that could easily be changed. I think I like the look of the sunken trap door though but a cumfy armrest would be nice? Any opinions one way or another?

Armest (looks good!). I use a console from a Volvo in mine currently, that has the armrest. I use it all the time. I will definitely build that into mine also :D

More questions - I've been looking at possible coverings. Are you planning on using a foam backed (fake leather) vinyl or actual leather for the dash, console & armrests? I've found a couple versions sold as headliner material (with either a 1/8" or 1/4" foam backing). I'm thinking straight vinyl or leather over the fiberglass without some kind of cushion is not going to look or feel great. Thought about CF also, but that seems like a nightmare. I've used suede and tapestry to recover Volvo dashes & headliners back in the 80's, but that was over the existing foam. Have you thought about this at all? Curious what your ideas are.

The binnacle I want to make has more complex compound curves at the ends, which I'm sure is going to be a PITA to wrap, even with unbacked vinyl or leather.

The nice thing about shaping with the foam is that you can control how cushy the final product will look even without foam. I'm thinking no more than 1/8 foam for the dash - if at all. The armrests on the doors will need cushion for sure but that can be added apart from the vinyl. Leather is just too expensive.

Automotive upholstery shops use a separate layer of thin foam to cover surfaces before applying the top covering (leather or whatever). There are different types of this foam; various thicknesses, stretch, density, etc.. Visit a local upholstery supply store that caters to the auto upholstery shops. Quite a vast selection of cover materials also. Be sure to ask which ones have better UV resistance and wear durability before you choose one. A steam machine will help to get the covering around the contours.

Automotive upholstery shops use a separate layer of thin foam to cover surfaces before applying the top covering (leather or whatever). There are different types of this foam; various thicknesses, stretch, density, etc.. Visit a local upholstery supply store that caters to the auto upholstery shops. Quite a vast selection of cover materials also. Be sure to ask which ones have better UV resistance and wear durability before you choose one. A steam machine will help to get the covering around the contours.

Good to know.... thanks Jeff

You will want to pad it. Our Miata has a cover which is “padded” but not adequately.

You might consider trying to find one from another car which offers a sliding top to better support your arm on long drives without encroaching further into your elbow space during spirited drives.

Consider putting a hardwired 5v USB outlet in there with a small cable outlet so a phone or mapping appliance can have a home with easily managed cabling and not having to look at a 21st century feature in a 20th century car.

You might consider angling the base of the emergency brake assembly up at the front to minimize the recess for your hand to grab the handle. This might require adding a bit to the threaded rod to the cables to gain additional length on that rod and maintain the current amount of adjustment.

Looking good.

Last edited:
I would stay away from integrally padded covering materials. Due to the way you need to treat seams and so on to create the compound curves you want, the added material will interfere strongly as you manage the selvage edges and extra material.

Have a look at how Henk’s leather covered IP’s manage the surfaces of that complex form.

Consider that you never want to see an unfinished edge. You will be sewing through two layers of heavy material and depending on your seam choices four or more if you are bringing three elements together

You will want to acquire an industrial sewing machine, Juki or similar. Craigslist would be a good source. This is an example: https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/hvo/d/industrial-juki-ddl-8700/6455752491.html

Try to find one with or buy a guide foot for the machine so that you can more easily make consistent seams, particularly if you want a French seam or similar. The selvage edges on the underside need to be managed, you may want to make allowances in your surfaces for that extra material to live in under the show surface, by this I mean actually making depressed areas in the foam/fiberglass elements for the material to sit into.

Modern cars use injection molded self skinning foam, in mold vinyl fabric or vacuum forming the sheet good to apply the finished surfaces that we see. Depending on the surface you may be able to get away with draping with glue and then wrapping but as the surface becomes more complex you need to add seams to get the conformal surface you desire.

As you are developing your forms I would have some automotive grade vinyl sheet around to start visualizing how you are going to deal with the finish. For some of it you may choose to use a spray on material like Rhino liner to give a UV stable, finished surface that has texture to avoid having to upholster the entire interior and give an appropriate surface to touch. Coordinating the sprayed and upholstered elements will be tricky.

Creating the foam surfaced parts will be the easy part of this job...Just wait until you start making patterns and sewing them together, that is the real job.

You might consider angling the base of the emergency brake assembly up at the front to minimize the recess for your hand to grab the handle. This might require adding a bit to the threaded rod to the cables to gain additional length on that rod and maintain the current amount of adjustment.

Looking good.

I was thinking the exact same thing.....

You will want to acquire an industrial sewing machine, Juki or similar. Craigslist would be a good source. This is an example: https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/hvo/d/industrial-juki-ddl-8700/6455752491.html
..Just wait until you start making patterns and sewing them together, that is the real job.

My wife has an industrial machine already and when we get to the sewing part that's where she comes in :D It's computer controlled so you can stitch designs from pictures etc as well as surging .... It's a BIG sucker....

308consolearmrest.jpg

If it matters, this picture is of the later hard-topped GTBi variant.

The GTS models used the area behind the seats as vertical storage space for their removable targa top.

So if you need more pictures of this console, focus your search on the rarer GTB / GTBi / GTB QV models.

Thanks - DM

The nice thing about shaping with the foam is that you can control how cushy the final product will look even without foam. I'm thinking no more than 1/8 foam for the dash - if at all. The armrests on the doors will need cushion for sure but that can be added apart from the vinyl. Leather is just too expensive.

I understand it can/ will 'look' soft based on the foam shaping - I was concerned that the rigid fiberglass surface won't 'feel' right without some padding. I also dismissed leather purely due to high maintenance / direct sunlight issues.

Glad I chose a dash with no exposed stitching :D need a 'sad' icon to respond to Karl's in-depth response regarding the sewing of dash covering - that early binnacle will be a pita to get the seams just right. I can sew small pieces like the handbrake cover if needed. My dash & console edges will all be pulled & tucked to the backside of the panels. I ordered 2 yards of auto grade 'leather textured' vinyl, 2 yards of a 'perforated' vinyl for lower dash & console area, and a separate 20x60"sheet of 1/8 foam to use for the tunnel console & dash if needed.

Great idea from Karl on the USB ports also - wouldn't have though of that until after the fact :D

Last edited:
Nice!
I like the way he partitioned the compound curves to minimize stretching the material to conform. Of course, he makes it look easy :D - gauging the lay & right amount of pull when stretching the material is an art in of itself.

My wife has an industrial machine already
Regarding the sewing machine, one with a "walking foot" is needed to do the heavier materials used for automotive upholstery without messing up the seams.

If your interior design ends up with a lot of complex curves, negative contours, you want special seams (see the link below), or other special features, then I'd consider the possibility of making everything yourself but taking the components to get covered professionally. My attempts at doing upholstery work were not that rewarding. There were certain techniques that I could not master and it did not turn out that great, I guess its not my thing. Where I live we have a lot of small upholstery shops run by guys from the country just south of us. They do amazing work and the cost is much less than the cost of buying a industrial sewing machine. I pay $300 to have a pair of front seats completely recovered in my choice of fabric and/or vinyl. Door panels are less than half that. Headliners are under $100. For the most part I prefer to do everything myself, buy I've learned this is one area that just isn't worth it to me. Body and paint work is another area I hate to do but unfortunately that is very expensive to get done properly so I still do it myself (which is why my projects take forever to get done).

Roam through the various topics in this web site: http://innovationsautointeriors.com/auto-upholstery-stitching/

EDIT: Another interesting site: http://www.thehogring.com/

Last edited:
Regarding the sewing machine, one with a "walking foot" is needed to do the heavier materials used for automotive upholstery without messing up the seams.

Thanks again Jeff - good links....
My wife has 3 sewing machines that she uses for different purposes. Apparently they all have walking feet :) Upholstery work is out of my league as well so I am leaning wholly on her to do the sewing thing. She has never done automotive before though so it may even be beyond her. I guess we'll find that out when the time comes.

I am leaning wholly on her to do the sewing thing. She has never done automotive before though so it may even be beyond her. I guess we'll find that out when the time comes.
Better start looking for marriage counselors. :eek:

Back