Build Thread for La Bambina Azzura.

Those tow hooks are a small but beautiful touch, absolutely love it. If you feel the need to sell some, I'd definitely buy a couple.

So X seats round 3. So got another set of seats in to try in the X and 3rd time is the charm. These are very low thing hard shell buckets that sit very low and far back. Even the rails I will use to install will allow me to mount the new rails inside the OEM rails. I was really hesitating to remove the welded rails as my floor is pristine. They are a snug fit but, so much more leg and head room. When I get around to mounting them I will take them appart and make a mold of the back to make a slightly wider hard back. I am going to replace the carpet first as I would like to replace it with loop type carpet.

new seats_sm.jpg

Wow, Iove those seats!
They are fiberglass, right? Not a tube frame.
What are they? Where can I get them? :)

What are you going to do with those nice stock black seats?

I have nickel gromets that I was going to put in the stock ones and try to adjust the padding and bolsters. I really love the oems but the car handles way to good for them. I will keep them until I am sure that I have a working replacement. Then sell them I guess.

I love all your mods @Bobkat ! I'm new to this forum and picked up a '79 recently. I have lots to do and I'm taking some inspiration from some of the users. My interior is nearly complete (Miata seats and going from brown to black interior). Floor pans replaced but lots of rust work and the nose to sort out. First thing was to do a bumper delete!

Attachments

• 490AE688-6F53-481C-8811-56355AC05DC9.jpg
    490AE688-6F53-481C-8811-56355AC05DC9.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0899.jpg
    IMG_0899.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 153
Bobkat,
I have contacted Retroseats and they are willing to ship to Germany.
Postage and import duties will at least double the price I am afraid.
So I am trying to get as much information from you as I can before I order. :)

Could you report back once you have them mounted and have been driving with them? Thanks.

Those are very nice looking seats, but you may find no TUV approval Ulix, those plastic shell seats they wont even let you use in a lemons race.

SteveC

You are correct Steve, I couldn‘t fully legalize them.
But they may just slip through inspections.
Otherwise I have to install the stock seats every 2 years.

Bobkat,
I have contacted Retroseats and they are willing to ship to Germany.
Postage and import duties will at least double the price I am afraid.
So I am trying to get as much information from you as I can before I order. :)

Could you report back once you have them mounted and have been driving with them? Thanks.
will do
Those are very nice looking seats, but you may find no TUV approval Ulix, those plastic shell seats they wont even let you use in a lemons race.

SteveC

I still think I may use these as a template to make CF buckets with aluminum inserts for bracing. I love the look but they could be tweaked. One good thing is with aftermarket rails I do not have to remove the OEM rails to mount these seats. The new sliders will fit between the OEM rails. I really did not want to use a spot welder bit and remove the oem rails. My car has a perfect pan and has 0 floor rust. Altering it would be heart wrenching.

Those seats are excellent. They have a GT40 vibe to them with the ventilated grommets.

Will you post a picture of the bottom side? I am curious as to how they mount to bases and if my Recaro bases might do.

Last edited:
That looks great!
One thing I wonder about, is the shell stiff enough?
I have tried seats that looked sporty, but the shell was quite soft and when cornering hard, the seat back twisted so much that the support wasn't really there.
So I am looking forward for you to test drive them.

What kind of sliders will you be using?
I am using standard aftermarket slides I had to narrow the handle for the slides to work but the y do fit between the oem rails.

That looks great!
One thing I wonder about, is the shell stiff enough?
I have tried seats that looked sporty, but the shell was quite soft and when cornering hard, the seat back twisted so much that the support wasn't really there.
So I am looking forward for you to test drive them.
They seem stiff. Big issue is shoehorning my ass in and out of them.

I still think I may use these as a template to make CF buckets with aluminum inserts for bracing. I love the look but they could be tweaked. One good thing is with aftermarket rails I do not have to remove the OEM rails to mount these seats. The new sliders will fit between the OEM rails. I really did not want to use a spot welder bit and remove the oem rails. My car has a perfect pan and has 0 floor rust. Altering it would be heart wrenching.

with your fabrication and CF skills that would probably be a great option for your personal seat, and if you went to that trouble you might as well mould it to your shape (the old expanding foam in a garbage bag and sit on it until it sets trick actually works to make a mould) so getting your ass in and out involves less shoehorning.

The shape and the look is great, and yes they definitely have that late 60's supercar feel to them with the plated loops inset.

SteveC

For a shorter driver the pass mirror would be hard to use. I had Baby tornado's but a rock took out the drivers mirror a few weeks back so I put these on. I will be replacing them with glass mounded mirrors when I find a set.
Can you tell me about the Baby Tornado’s seen here: Are these what you had installed, and if so, was the glass convex, and did the lack of a taller support arm make the passenger mirror functional, or useless? Thanks

Back