Build Thread for La Bambina Azzura.

I know this is intended to be an engine swap, but I get the sense that you've grown to love that little Lampredi sewing-machine motor... :) I'm going to make a bold prediction: this car will *not* end up swapped, but will end up with a beautiful, rebuilt and warmed-up 1.5L. (Though I'd love to hear the sound of a five-cylinder in an X, so I'll be excited to watch the build either way!)

Been setting up a new work space to get a little more serious. Been concentrating on getting all the equipment in and setup so can hit the ground running in the new year. Purchased two new Proper 3D scanners ( will be scanning the X Bay for the swap in Jan) Invested in a much better welder and plasma cutter all getting ready for the jump to CNC.

I was lucky enough to get a Prior limited edition body kit that celebrates 40 years of Audi in Ralley so was chasing down a car to star in that project. I will be doing a ton of CF bits for that project. Will have 4 projects on the go for 2021. X is still one of them. Will pull and refresh the 1.5 with rings, reseal etc. and while it is out Scan the bay and suspension geometry for the 5 cylinder swap.

Here is the Audi Coupe. It will be getting the same 5 cylinder as the X only this one will be 660hp.

Any pics of the Audi drivetrain? Curious about overall layout & dimensions. Pics are always better than a sheet of specs :D

I know this is intended to be an engine swap, but I get the sense that you've grown to love that little Lampredi sewing-machine motor... :) I'm going to make a bold prediction: this car will *not* end up swapped, but will end up with a beautiful, rebuilt and warmed-up 1.5L. (Though I'd love to hear the sound of a five-cylinder in an X, so I'll be excited to watch the build either way!)

Oh no the swap is still happening. I will be building two 07K motors for this and another swap project. I had to take the 1.5 out to 3D scan the bay, suspension, hubs and frame for the swap. It will be a big project along with the rear strata louver and sides. I do love the little car and would hate to see it just sit while I make the bits for the swap. I will now drive the snot out of the 1.5 and then somebody can have the little jewel

The 1.5 was struggling so while it is out I was going to do do a hone and rings. Decided to do a little valve work while it was out and clean it up a bit. Good thing I did . Two rings were cracked and they all were gaped so wide. LIke 1/4 inch gaps!!! These motors are so easy to re and re.

I also will be scanning parts of the 1.5 to make a few pieces for a possible FI setup. Like crank position senor mount etc. Also a ITB fuel injection setup to work with Weber dual carb manifolds and maybe a simple standalone based on speeduno.

Any pics of the Audi drivetrain? Curious about overall layout & dimensions. Pics are always better than a sheet of specs :D

Like most motors and trans there is never any good information. That is Y i will be scanning everything. I will have a 07k in to start some mockups so will be 3D scanning everything and will share the numbers with you.

I had a look at a Volvo V70 today and that 5 cyl looks like it could be fitted in a X. To me it seems like an easier swap than K20. Hussein, how come didn't you consider that as an option?

I don't think I could share the CAD files but the Raw scans should not be an issue.
CAD files are not proprietary to anyone but you or possibly someone else if you farmed out the work. Generally if you paid for the files to be made they are your property unless otherwise stipulated in a contract/agreement. If it is IP then yes you can’t share but as it is just an engine bay of a car designed in 1972 with a quarter of a million made, not so much.

The CAD software is quite another matter.

I had a look at a Volvo V70 today and that 5 cyl looks like it could be fitted in a X. To me it seems like an easier swap than K20. Hussein, how come didn't you consider that as an option?
A couple of years ago I took a few motor measurements on my T5R and compared them to my old 1300 motor sitting in the basement. It was much larger in every dimension, which is not to say it could not be made to fit, but it would require a bit more study. I also figured if Hussein had not done it, there are probably some good reasons.

I don't think I could share the CAD files but the Raw scans should not be an issue.
Because it may not be legal to share, did I understood correctly?

If so I will do a search how can get that raw file into Solidworks

My understanding is there is no legal issue about sharing them. However the owner may opt not to do so if he feels his work is of value beyond giving it away.

CAD files are not proprietary to anyone but you or possibly someone else if you farmed out the work. Generally if you paid for the files to be made they are your property unless otherwise stipulated in a contract/agreement. If it is IP then yes you can’t share but as it is just an engine bay of a car designed in 1972 with a quarter of a million made, not so much.

The CAD software is quite another matter.
Converting raw scans to a reverse engineered usable CAD is a painstaking process. The scan is the relatively easy part just expensive equipment. Since this will be a swap kit being developed not sure I will be giving away the goods. The raw scan for sure.

Because it may not be legal to share, did I understood correctly?

If so I will do a search how can get that raw file into Solidworks

there would be ways to get raw scan mesh data in to Solidworks. Mesh is kind of useless other than 3d printing but it provides a base to reverse engineer.

A couple of years ago I took a few motor measurements on my T5R and compared them to my old 1300 motor sitting in the basement. It was much larger in every dimension, which is not to say it could not be made to fit, but it would require a bit more study. I also figured if Hussein had not done it, there are probably some good reasons.

From what I know the volvo 5 cylinders are a bit longer than a VAG. And the gearboxes are also larger. Both are narrower that the Honda motors. I will be doing vertical ITBs and that will make for a bit more room. I am a bit like a dog on a bone, it will fit and I will make it fit.

Converting raw scans to a reverse engineered usable CAD is a painstaking process. The scan is the relatively easy part just expensive equipment. Since this will be a swap kit being developed not sure I will be giving away the goods. The raw scan for sure.
Understand and wholly agree with that part (the proprietary changes and solutions for making things fit), giving away or making available the OE engine compartment would be a pretty decent thing to do and greatly appreciated by your other compatriots who are similarly insane. Like me who like to plan everything...

A friend of mine who is a teacher just had an amazing machine (Artec Space Spider) donated to the school, unfortunately he is in Los Angeles and I am in Michigan. I could think of a lot of things one could do with it but at 24K not something I will be picking up anytime soon. I saw someone scan a K24 they were putting into a Ferrari 308, the output was pretty amazing.

In any case, looking forward to where your car goes next.

Last edited:

It could be done - not by me though :D
The main detractors for me are:

Subframe - need build from scratch
Axles - locate company willing to make hybrids - Figure out appropriate lengths & geometry
Tuning side - it would require an entire standalone EMS (which has been done, I'm not interested in learning another software interface)

Higher cost of engine & tuning parts.

None of those are real reasons NOT to do it, however I didn't want the conversion to become a 3-4 year project before it could be driven.

Higher cost of engine & tuning parts.
Probably a different story here in Sweden. You can find an engine in relative good condition for 200--300 USD here. I heard about one guy that put the 4cyl V40 T4 in a X but that engine is shorter and is probably a less complex swap. But the sound from the 5cyl is hard to beat, and the tuning possibilities.
Edit: Forgot to mention that K20 and 2JZ engines are almost impossible to get here, and if you are lucky to find them they would cost you ten times more than a Volvo drivetrain.

Last edited:
Probably a different story here in Sweden. You can find an engine in relative good condition for 200--300 USD here. I heard about one guy that put the 4cyl V40 T4 in a X but that engine is shorter and is probably a less complex swap. But the sound from the 5cyl is hard to beat, and the tuning possibilities.

The sound of the 5 cylinder at high rpm is amazing - I had a large frame turbo on my old wagon, putting out around 500AWHP - didn't start making real power until around 4K, and with the ENEM cams & custom intake, etc., it was still pulling over 9K. The problem here is the tuning, if you can't do it yourself, there are few options

I agree with the others, any proprietary designs that you wish to develop yourself (e.g. engine swap kit) should be protected (i.e. not openly shared). However the standard Fiat X1/9 engine bay is a different situation. It is not proprietary to any of us. Fiat may have restrictions on copying it, but that's not what we're talking about. I understand the scanning equipment was expensive, and your time to do the scanning has value. But those are costs that you are undertaking as part of your development project. So sharing the basic dimensions/scan data for the stock engine bay would not impact that. Your choice obviously but I really don't get the point, as it would not have any relation to anything you develop to put in the bay. Just my view on it, and to be clear I have no interest in any of the data. If I've misunderstood something here please correct me. Great project either way. ;)

Back