Build Thread for La Bambina Azzura.

Can you tell me about the Baby Tornado’s seen here: Are these what you had installed, and if so, was the glass convex, and did the lack of a taller support arm make the passenger mirror functional, or useless? Thanks

I have no idea about those Baby Tornado's from Bayless. I had some from a VAG. I replaced them with Vitaloni Baby Turbo style mirrors which sit lower and stick out rather than up.

Dash looks really good - was it a chore, or pretty straightforward? Mine’s cracked on either side of the defrost vent and needs a refresh
Dash was a real pain. Do not skimp on the quality of material you buy. Luckily I had some high quality material that had a bit of stretch in all directions.

@Bobkat, haven't heard much lately (or I missed it). Any new projects to share?

Been setting up a new work space to get a little more serious. Been concentrating on getting all the equipment in and setup so can hit the ground running in the new year. Purchased two new Proper 3D scanners ( will be scanning the X Bay for the swap in Jan) Invested in a much better welder and plasma cutter all getting ready for the jump to CNC.

I was lucky enough to get a Prior limited edition body kit that celebrates 40 years of Audi in Ralley so was chasing down a car to star in that project. I will be doing a ton of CF bits for that project. Will have 4 projects on the go for 2021. X is still one of them. Will pull and refresh the 1.5 with rings, reseal etc. and while it is out Scan the bay and suspension geometry for the 5 cylinder swap.

Here is the Audi Coupe. It will be getting the same 5 cylinder as the X only this one will be 660hp.

1608680168309.png

I bought an Audi Coupe in 1981 when they first came out. It was a great car to drive but it was the most unreliable car I've ever had. The electrical system was problematic, and I had to pull the trans because Audi decided to save a few cents by making the throwout sleeve out of plastic instead of metal. The plastic would get gored by the throwout bearing and eventually would bind. I guess they learned their lesson because the replacement part was metal.

The air intake to the AC system was wide open (no screen) and we found out mice moved in when we turn it on one day. The squirrel cage blower was quite effective at slicing up mice and spitting the pieces out the AC vents. I had to take the entire dash apart to clean up the mess.

I bought an Audi Coupe in 1981 when they first came out. It was a great car to drive but it was the most unreliable car I've ever had. The electrical system was problematic, and I had to pull the trans because Audi decided to save a few cents by making the throwout sleeve out of plastic instead of metal. The plastic would get gored by the throwout bearing and eventually would bind. I guess they learned their lesson because the replacement part was metal.

The air intake to the AC system was wide open (no screen) and we found out mice moved in when we turn it on one day. The squirrel cage blower was quite effective at slicing up mice and spitting the pieces out the AC vents. I had to take the entire dash apart to clean up the mess.

LOL. Not much going to be stock on this one. This is also based on the B4 version from the 90's

I have always liked the Audi coupes. A friend bought a Quattro UR Coupe and we were promptly stopped by the CHP on his first day with it. He ended up selling it to save his licencse. I think his ‘82 Scirocco has around a half million miles on it...slow understressed car that lasts forever.

Last edited:
Been setting up a new work space to get a little more serious. Been concentrating on getting all the equipment in and setup so can hit the ground running in the new year. Purchased two new Proper 3D scanners ( will be scanning the X Bay for the swap in Jan) Invested in a much better welder and plasma cutter all getting ready for the jump to CNC.

I was lucky enough to get a Prior limited edition body kit that celebrates 40 years of Audi in Ralley so was chasing down a car to star in that project. I will be doing a ton of CF bits for that project. Will have 4 projects on the go for 2021. X is still one of them. Will pull and refresh the 1.5 with rings, reseal etc. and while it is out Scan the bay and suspension geometry for the 5 cylinder swap.

Here is the Audi Coupe. It will be getting the same 5 cylinder as the X only this one will be 660hp.

View attachment 40258
WOW You are one of these lucky buyers 🥳

Love the styling of the Audi coupe with its high beltline, reminiscent of the Alfa SZ too in that way. You know you have to make a thread about that one now too...

I've always been a fan of Audi styling as well. Simple, clean, well proportioned, all makes for a good canvas to build customs.

Sadly several of the automakers that once offered really nice designs have tried to please the masses in favor of sales/profits, and gone to non-attractive styling in my opinion.

Any chance you could post a photo of the drink holder with a drink in place? :)
I have two one in the armrest and one in the dash I use the dash one to hold the wireless controller for the head unit and use the one in the armrest for a coffee. Both are not ideal so may need a rethink. I am going to update my armrest so may look at another solution. Car is up on a hoist with the motor out so will be a bit before i can get pics. I traded cars with a friend on a cruise in the fall and it it had some unique pop out cup holders. that really worked well in a cramped cabin.

Here is a pic of the cup holder carrier. With me at the wheel.

bob int a gt4.jpg

I have two one in the armrest and one in the dash I use the dash one to hold the wireless controller for the head unit and use the one in the armrest for a coffee. Both are not ideal so may need a rethink. I am going to update my armrest so may look at another solution. Car is up on a hoist with the motor out so will be a bit before i can get pics. I traded cars with a friend on a cruise in the fall and it it had some unique pop out cup holders. that really worked well in a cramped cabin.

Here is a pic of the cup holder carrier. With me at the wheel.

View attachment 43239
Or not? lol

Back