Insertable headlight harness -Last build

I'm completing my last build of my insertable headlight harnesses.
Those of you who have a set of these know the result of installing them.
I've just completed 8 sets and will build a few more in a few days, but when they're gone, they're gone.
This is my last build.

What they do:
These allow a simple method of installing external relays to your headlights for both hi and low beam.
Once installed, you can use literally any headlight of your choosing.
This insert also protects your headlight switch from overload and removes the headlight's load from your car's harness.

What they don't do:
This insert will not fix a headlight circuit that doesn't already work.

Construction:
These are built using marine grade wire, (12Ga) Qty=4 40Amp relays with sockets and high-temp ceramic H4 plugs.
Each assembly is designed to be separately mounted in each headlight pod. The only requirement is that a single
12Ga fused wire be run from the battery to each pod.
I have included detailed instructions (Pg. 1 of 2 shown below) that visually describes the installation.
(My instruction also doubles the capacity to your fuse block if you follow the recommendation)

Pricing: (USA) $95 + $5.50 shipping. If paying by PayPal please add $4.50 to cover fees (total of $105.00)

PM me if interested.

This is what you get:
newinsertheadlightharnedd4.jpg

Wiring illustration, Pg. 1
harnessinstallp1asmdw2.jpg
Hi bob,
Are the headlight kits still available I have a 1980 fiat x19

Whew! Resurrecting a ten year old thread!
Yeah the x19 lives on. I’m just about over my headlights I had an auto electrician come out the other day and he left after two minutes so I would really like to just redo the whole thing and is that what your kit provides?

Jamie,
Not a difficult or complex device. You could make one or try this off ebay:
So I’m also curious. with this harness are different headlights needed or can you use the originals ?

Jamie,
Not a difficult or complex device. You could make one or try this off ebay:
I used this kit on my car. I was tired of not being able to see at night. I was amazed at how much better my factory headlights worked after install. I would say try it before changing headlights to some fancy aftermarket headlight. A friend of mine changed his headlights and the light pattern is not good at all.

I ordered one , going to give it try. For $15 bucks what the helll.

These are easy enough to configure for the X1/9. I bought one as well, but I ended up making my own. The quality of these is OK, and will work - and yep! - they work with regular headlamps (some sockets are a bit tight, but you can use your original sockets - and you may need to splice the wiring to pass it through and behind the radiator to the next headlight.

It's a good idea to get those electrical loads off of the ignition switch!

I ditched sealed beams on my cars many decades ago.
Decades? You are way ahead of me; I ditched the sealed beams in favor of LED in 2013. These LED headlights are billed as sealed beam replacements, and have the same pinout as the H6024 sealed beams they are meant to replace.

Last edited:
I’m just about over my headlights I had an auto electrician come out the other day and he left after two minutes so I would really like to just redo the whole thing and is that what your kit provides?
If you intend to completely redo your headlight wiring (which I recommend), then it's probibly best NOT to get any of these kits. They are designed to insert into the stock wire harness, in between the original light sockets and the bulbs, and provide an auxiliary power supply through a larger gauge wire. But when you completely redo your wire harness, you can make it with the larger gauge wires so no insertion/adaptors are needed. In other words, when starting from scratch it is better to make it upgraded with no unneeded splices or connections. Start from a good power source, add an appropriate size fuse, a good relay (triggered by the original headlight circuit), and proper gauge wire going to new bulb sockets. All of the components are readily available and you assemble them to fit your car.

Headlight supplemental relays.gif

Yeah the x19 lives on. I’m just about over my headlights I had an auto electrician come out the other day and he left after two minutes so I would really like to just redo the whole thing and is that what your kit provides?
What kind of auto electrician looks at something so simple for two minutes and leaves? Rolling eyes over here.

What year X do you have?

What is actually wrong with the wiring you have? Redoing this isn’t terribly hard, all the parts are easily available, and can be built up with care and some simpler tools.

Knowing what year car you have (putting your year and any significant mods in your signature helps us know a lot more about your car) and we can give you some good input. For example if it is a late car it may already have a high beam relay, earlier cars do not.

Perhaps, but keep in mind that in the US our cars came with 6024 (or H6024) sealed beam headlights, not H4 / 9003 / HB2. Plugs for 6024 and H4 are dimensionally close enough to be interchangeable, but the pinout is different. A relay harness made for H4 bulbs needs to be modified to work with H6024 sealed beam headlighs (and vice versa).

I would imagine cars destined for Australia came with H4 bulbs, so Jamie should be fine with an H4 harness.
Can you clear this up for me: nearly every harness kit sold on Amazon U.S. is for H4. H6024 kits don’t seem to appear anywhere. Am I to assume my 1974, U.S. bulbs are 6024? And if that’s the case, those Exxe owners need to modify these H4 harness kits?

Last edited:
Looks to me that the connector h4 or 6024 is the same. Better question, why are you still running the stupid sealed beam kludge headlights?

Back