Insertable headlight harness -Last build

From the factory your X1/9 would have had sealed beam headlights; 6024 or H6024, the latter being the halogen variety. A somewhat poplar upgrade is to use European style headlights with H4 bulbs, so check what you have.

If the car is wired for sealed beams, and the harness is made for H4, you will need to make changes to the relay harness. The harness will have two 3-position sockets that fit on the bulbs. If you are staying with sealed beam headlights, or using LED sealed beam replacements, you will need to modify the wiring to both sockets. Found on Amazon.com:

View attachment 56430

If you are converting to H4, then the two sockets can stay as they are.

The relay harness also has a 3-position plug that looks like the pins on the back of the bulb. If the car wiring is stock, you'll need to change the wiring to this plug regardless of what bulbs you will be using. The change is, in principle, the same as above, but keep in mind it will be mirror image, since you are looking at the plug, not the socket it mates with.
I have one of these sets coming from Amazon today! You saved me hours of inevitable head scratching. Thanks!!

After studying the 'Flattened, color wiring diagram' from the Wiki, both headlights seem to be fed by Black, Verde & Grigio wires.
Do these wires look 'Verde' or 'Grigio' to you? I'm questioning that either of these are those colors. Anyone want to have a look?
20211227_143247_resized.jpg

Attachments

• 20211227_144337_resized.jpg
    20211227_144337_resized.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 8

After studying the 'Flattened, color wiring diagram' from the Wiki, both headlights seem to be fed by Black, Verde & Grigio wires.
Do these wires look 'Verde' or 'Grigio' to you? I'm questioning that either of these are those colors. Anyone want to have a look?
View attachment 56448
Yea, I just checked and mine is like yours, which means that the grey/black stripe is the ground based on the earlier post, but isn't that supposed to be the black?

Attachments

• headlight connector.jpg
    headlight connector.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 6
The black on yours is on the left, correct - that's the ground. I guess my version of green or grey is different than FIAT's, but mild color-blindness doesn't help. The flash never lies however.

The black on yours is on the left, correct - that's the ground. I guess my version of green or grey is different than FIAT's, but mild color-blindness doesn't help. The flash never lies however.

So that means that the wiring harness I just received, which had the ground on the right as you are looking at the female end of the plug, was correct, even though the harness is for H4 and not our stock bulb. I already swapped the wires on the harness based on Post #61 above , but easy enough to swap back. that is very strange.

So far in my limited adventures with the wiring colors/locations of the 74 we bought, I don't think the previous owner did any wiring mods other than to remove the seat belt interlock system, so most wires seems to pan out when compared to the wiki .pdf.
It's just the colors themselves that seem a little confusing - maybe age fading, and my disability to find a red golf ball on green grass. lol.
Damn, I wish companies changed green for blue when designing flashing, blinking status lights

TVM,
Do you have one of these?

You can use this to tell which wire switches the HI and which the LOW and then you can call them any color name you like. Wire colors fade and get dirty. On my 71 850 coupe, purple, brown pretty much look the same.

View attachment 56448
Well, what do you know.. Don't trust memory (or the internet) I just pulled out an H4 bulb from my other car and compared it with the L6024 in my X1/9. And they are wired the same. A relay harness for H4 bulbs will work just fine, no mods needed.

Well, what do you know.. Don't trust memory (or the internet) I just pulled out an H4 bulb from my other car and compared it with the L6024 in my X1/9. And they are wired the same. A relay harness for H4 bulbs will work just fine, no mods needed.
I'm glad you found that they are the same...always have been. No idea what that pic you saw online was all about. ;)

Thanks very much. Rather than just rely on the thread I did some research online, and the diagram you originally posted was correct for lights with a socket 4656, which appear to be some rectangular sealed beam lights. Always learning something here!

Just to confirm. I put Hella h4 headlights in my 80, (same set that was in my 76 in 1983).
Plugged right in and works correctly. Relay upgrade in near future, although these work well. Wipers first, they barley move.

Thanks very much. Rather than just rely on the thread I did some research online, and the diagram you originally posted was correct for lights with a socket 4656, which appear to be some rectangular sealed beam lights. Always learning something here!
Have you done your install yet (he said while still bogged down in post Xmas confusion)?

there are lot on online resources that can better answer than me, but in short, " See sh!t before you run it over"
that's as good a place to start as any :) As long as they don't create more heat or melt the existing wiring, it's all good....

Back