What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Wire wheel brushed the passenger side floor pan. POR 15 kit came in. Ordered fiberglass cloth, and soundproofing- Noico I think, 36 sq ft, I'll use the extra for trunk and frunk.

Floor isn't as bad as I thought when I first saw it, the only thick rust is around the original drain hole and bottom of spare tire compartment.

Almost down to bare metal on the rest of the pan. :)

Throttle cable stops came in so I sorted that. Lots of little bits to go.

Pulled out the rear bumperettes. Looks so much better.
Anyone have ideas for capping or removing the channels that are left? Not too pretty.

Wire wheel brushed the passenger side floor pan. POR 15 kit came in. Ordered fiberglass cloth, and soundproofing- Noico I think, 36 sq ft, I'll use the extra for trunk and frunk.

Floor isn't as bad as I thought when I first saw it, the only thick rust is around the original drain hole and bottom of spare tire compartment.

Almost down to bare metal on the rest of the pan. :)

Throttle cable stops came in so I sorted that. Lots of little bits to go.

Pulled out the rear bumperettes. Looks so much better.
Anyone have ideas for capping or removing the channels that are left? Not too pretty.
Oops. Made a mistake. I ordered clear POR 15 - when you apply it it's pretty much invisible and I can't see where I missed. Will order some black tomorrow. It's also pretty thin - thinner than paint. I thought it would be a thicker concoction.

Figured out why my recently built new engine smelled of gasoline. Banjo bolts on the fuel-in fittings on my DCNF 40's were loose. Snugged up with a 16mm wrench, problem solved. Passenger side was leaking like a sieve, glad to have identified the cause.

The weather was nice so I decided to take my X out for a ride today. I was heading south on CA-35 near the San Mateo Co./Santa Clara Co. border and in the distance this rather unusual looking vehicle approached me. I recognized it from a few articles I had read about it. It was a Rivian R1 electric pickup/SUV. They have a motor at each wheel with a hydraulic suspension that can handle very rough terrain. It weighs about 7,000 lbs and can do 0-60 in 3 seconds with its 800 hp. I had read they were going on sale some time in September (~$70K) but this is the first one I have seen in the flesh. They have a development center in Palo Alto so perhaps it could have been from there. Trying to have an open mind about the look.

Put on my new tires!

1633465323478.png

I broke off my radiator bleeder screw...yes I finally did it...Just finished putting the car back together and getting it down off the wheel dollies, finally got my insurance reinstated, dying to drive it....bled the radiator the other day, and there was the wrench, laying in the frunk..."did I tighten that all the way? better check that out before a short drive down the alley" Bad idea...The fiat gods have forsaken me another day...now my car is uncontrollably bleeding, as I weep...I put a pan under it, closed the garage door and turned out the lights...to the FS&W section...

I broke off my radiator bleeder screw...yes I finally did it...Just finished putting the car back together and getting it down off the wheel dollies, finally got my insurance reinstated, dying to drive it....bled the radiator the other day, and there was the wrench, laying in the frunk..."did I tighten that all the way? better check that out before a short drive down the alley" Bad idea...The fiat gods have forsaken me another day...now my car is uncontrollably bleeding, as I weep...I put a pan under it, closed the garage door and turned out the lights...to the FS&W section...
My girlfreind just couldn't understand when I came inside and said m*****f******g Fiat! with a grin on my face, but with anger in my voice, and shaking my head back and forth. I had to explain to her about the countless times I had read about others doing this very same thing, and the cantankerous nature of these little cars. I have been pretty patient the last couple of years getting it back together for the hundredth time, as old age slowed me down quite a bit in comparison to the good old days. Over time I can remember people looking at me like I was insane, telling them of known issues, and the required maintenance (you do this for fun?) Yes well it's the end result that delivers the satisfaction

My girlfreind just couldn't understand when I came inside and said m*****f******g Fiat! with a grin on my face, but with anger in my voice, and shaking my head back and forth. I had to explain to her about the countless times I had read about others doing this very same thing, and the cantankerous nature of these little cars. I have been pretty patient the last couple of years getting it back together for the hundredth time, as old age slowed me down quite a bit in comparison to the good old days. Over time I can remember people looking at me like I was insane, telling them of known issues, and the required maintenance (you do this for fun?) Yes well it's the end result that delivers the satisfaction
Know how you fell ,I will be painting hood and trunk for the third time ,first time orange peel , second fish eyes ,don,t know what happened the car turned out really good ,but I am taking a break today and going for bike ride .

For newbies, how much is too tight, or too loose? Have you seen a Youtube video on this process anywhere. Sounds fussy.

I also can relate to the feeling. Something of a "approach avoidance conflict":

But think of it this way. That bleeder nipple had to be on the verge of breaking already. So if it hadn't happened while you were working on it in the garage, then it would have happened while a hundred miles from home on a hot day with no cell service. :mad:

For newbies, how much is too tight, or too loose?
I always just snugged it down...I bled it the other day, and had snugged it down, and just decided to double check because lately there just seems to be so many damn distractions, like life, lol...when I did, at first, I thought, oh I didn't tighten it, because I was twisting it off, lol. It really doesnt need a lot of force usually, from my experiance in the last 30 years...
A lot of people raise the front end, and other things...I just simply do it when the car is warmed up, and has pressure in the cooling system- forces the air right out. When you see coolant come out- it is bled.....
and oh, if you do it often and keep finding air- you got a leak for sure, and don't think you will see puddles from them either. These cars have like ten times the coolant connections of most cars, and I really believe very small leaks will "steam" off coolant, and the car will run hot. Mine ran hot for 20 years, until I replaced the entire cooling/heating system...the metal heater lines inside the tunnel were plagued with micro pinholes...never saw a drip from under the car

Got the 85 shined up foe one of the last events. Winter's coming.
Damn that's nice...I like the black one you had with the white interior- I'd steal that one if I had a chance...I could never own one with white interior tho- I would tear that up, lol...

say what? was that interior stock, it's freaking awesome...never seen a white interior one
Yes, it was stock. Mine is really more of a "parchment", than pure white. I have seen one other 78 with the same interior. The PO told me he special ordered the color combo. Maybe he did, it is unusual. It has "white" vinyl seats, door cards, and back panel, but brown carpet, dash and console. With a black exterior, I wish the brown bits had been black. Oh well. A couple old pics from when it was still alive. And a current pic of it, see it buried under boxes, etc in the back left corner. :)

78_pre_ffo_2005c.jpg78_pre_ffo_2005d.JPG20200927_125119.jpg

There is a 78 on Xweb with a really white interior, but it was reupholstered to white. I can't remember who has it though.

Yes, it was stock. Mine is really more of a "parchment", than pure white. I have seen one other 78 with the same interior. The PO told me he special ordered the color combo. Maybe he did, it is unusual. It has "white" vinyl seats, door cards, and back panel, but brown carpet, dash and console. With a black exterior, I wish the brown bits had been black. Oh well. A couple old pics from when it was still alive. And a current pic of it, see it buried under boxes, etc in the back left corner. :)

View attachment 53386View attachment 53387View attachment 53388

There is a 78 on Xweb with a really white interior, but it was reupholstered to white. I can't remember who has it though.

That’s the same interior fitted to the European Lido special edition…

That’s the same interior fitted to the European Lido special edition

I thought the Lidos were alcantara. Mine is plain old vinyl. It does follow the Lido color scheme, so perhaps that is what the PO was going for when he chose the colors. No fancy Lido chrome quarter bumpers though. :(

Back