500 Abarth 1.4 Turbo swap.

The car was taken to the truck scales and weighed in at 2195 LBS full tank of fuel. The stock Abarth car comes in at 2600 LBS, not sure if that is full fuel or not.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.
My Haynes shop manual lists the kerb weight of the X1/9 as 1,940 LBS. Probably without a full tank, no details given. Also, no differentiation between 1300/4spd and 1500/5spd. Also, no mention of AC or no AC. So depending on how your X was originally configured, converting to the Abarth turbo probably won't add much weight to your car at all. Nice :)

Haha !!! I'm probably one the few who remember what you are referring to. You must surely have grown up in Canada in the 70's ??
Many of us had CBC growing up. And CHOM FM which was the real treat of living near Canada and in range of Mount Tremblant…

The 74 shop manual lists the weight as 2,010 lbs. If the 1,940 lbs. shown in the Haynes manual is for a European model, that would sound about right as there is likely about 70 lbs. of emissions controls on the US version.

Many of us had CBC growing up. And CHOM FM which was the real treat of living near Canada and in range of Mount Tremblant…
My U.S. based, CDN border friends were very happy come winter Olympic time to receive CBC. Hey, that’s next week!

Update for Jan 29th. We replaced the reverse idler gear as the points were all but gone. Good thing we found this now. Phew! After the case was cleaned in a parts washer we began the reassembly with the new quaife limited slip diff in place. With some back and forth with fork alignment and back and forth with the case we committed to applying the rtv sealant and bolting down. I can tell you that transmissions are like a complex puzzle and we didn’t even have to remove the gear clusters from the shafts! Thank god!
699AC4AF-F8E8-4673-AA06-A5535E23F651.jpeg

I meant to get a picture of the engine and trans back together after but maybe Tony got one. The case is nice and clean now. 😁

Last edited:
Update for Jan 29th. We replaced the reverse idler gear as the points were all but gone. Good thing we found this now. Phew! After the case was cleaned in a parts washer we began the reassembly with the new quaife limited slip diff in place. With some back and forth with fork alignment and back and forth with the case we committed to applying the rtv sealant and bolting down. I can tell you that transmissions are like a complex puzzle and we didn’t even have to remove the gear clusters from the shafts! Thank god! View attachment 57636
I meant to get a picture of the engine and trans back together after but maybe Tony got one. The case is nice a clean now. 😁
This is an Abarth 510 transmission?

Update for Jan 29th. We replaced the reverse idler gear as the points were all but gone. Good thing we found this now. Phew! After the case was cleaned in a parts washer we began the reassembly with the new quaife limited slip diff in place. With some back and forth with fork alignment and back and forth with the case we committed to applying the rtv sealant and bolting down. I can tell you that transmissions are like a complex puzzle and we didn’t even have to remove the gear clusters from the shafts! Thank god! View attachment 57636
I meant to get a picture of the engine and trans back together after but maybe Tony got one. The case is nice and clean now. 😁
A few pictures of what was being done. Swaps are complicated and to offer a kit come upon the difficulties of what to provide and what the installer can handle. Tools, fabrication skills and support all play apart in the swap.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

DSC01490.JPG
DSC01491.JPG
DSC01505.JPG

Regarding a swap kit for the Multiair. (Not speaking for Tony but having observed this modification and thought a fair amount about it.)

As Tony intimated there is a lot to this swap, much more in real terms than the K series due in large measure to the lack of a standalone electronic control system.

The structural changes are notable but not any worse or more extensive than the K swap (Tony has made some parts to make it more factory appearing in places because he is who he is :) ) this is not to suggest the body changes and mechanical work needed are easy or a walk in the park.

This swap‘s painful work is primarily around the electronics and managing the wiring of all the subsystems a modern CanBus control system expects, the fact there is no outside support, beyond the hard work done by Tony and whatever elves he knows, is where the real problem lies. The other issue is this is a turbo motor in a mid engine car what has very little extra room and getting rid of heat in the intake air in particular is a major divergence from the K swap problem which so far Tony has solved in two ways, one air to air and the other air to water to air.

There is an unusual tension in this swap in that there are a fair number of these motors and transmissions available around the country as these engines sit on shelves as cars are totaled by insurance companies and there is little market for the engines for Fiat 500 replacements. This is the opposite of what is going on with the K swaps there the donor cars are disappearing and the engines are wearing out in the cars as they went out of production and the easy flow of donors from Japan is drying up.

Where the K swap is a fairly simple engine to control, the Fiat engine is an electro hydraulic mechanical nightmare due to the way the valve system is actuated you can’t just use something other than what Fiat created to make it run. The unfortunate part is Fiat has not seen fit to make a standalone engine controller which allows you to jettison the rest of the CanBus system which also runs the many subsystems embedded in a Fiat 500 or Abarth. Those systems don’t exist in an X (ABS, traction control, climate control and a myriad of others) and then added to that a CanBus system is constantly verifying the wiring in the system as it looks for specific resistance in the wiring, connectors, sensors and so on.

Midwest-Bayless looked at this and found the technical part of the problem to be more than they felt a customer could handle (I am told). At the time they were building customer K swap cars and not only the kits (they stopped producing cars though Matt’s son, a member here, has since built a number of others). As people are already whining about the cost of the K swap kit to adapt just the mechanicals, combining the mechanical part changes and an electronic package is likely not economic.

There has been an interesting alternative posed to make the engine possibly more swapable with a simpler controller which substitutes a valve actuation system which is a much simpler electro mechanical variable valve actuation akin to VANOS, VTEC etc. which is much easier to control ie a solenoid actuator. This has been done on MultiAir engines with parts imported from the EU, there is an interesting thread you can dredge up with videos of Fiat 124 (the Miata based one) where they converted one.

Anyway, a kit is not a simple thing to come up with despite the availability of these engines.

Last edited:
It’s a shame, but yes, I’m sure my Abarth’s radio is tied to the engine in computer congestion. And also true there are lots of totaled 500’s with perfectly good engines which are just going to waste :(
Computers muck everything up. lol. Guess my whopping 69hp will have to do…

It would be great if FCA would create a standalone ECU, wouldn't be that hard for them as they do it already their HEMIs.
That is what is needed to simplify the needs of the ECU and body control module a stand alone ECU. I won't get into details but the body control module and the ECU both look for certain things on the bus. If not there the engine goes into a no start condition. The issue at hand is that the ECU is in a very accessible location and to install non coded ECU in the car would disable the anti theft system and anyone with the open ECU could steal any car. In the mean time a bunch of wires and modules need to go in the swap car to make it run correctly if at all. The ECU is a learning entity and depends on it's sensors to work correctly and adjust continually, otherwise it just don't like it.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada

That is what is needed to simplify the needs of the ECU and body control module a stand alone ECU. I won't get into details but the body control module and the ECU both look for certain things on the bus. If not there the engine goes into a no start condition. The issue at hand is that the ECU is in a very accessible location and to install non coded ECU in the car would disable the anti theft system and anyone with the open ECU could steal any car. In the mean time a bunch of wires and modules need to go in the swap car to make it run correctly if at all. The ECU is a learning entity and depends on it's sensors to work correctly and adjust continually, otherwise it just don't like it.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada
BD123618-FFA3-42BF-8E3B-4124895329D5.jpeg

sorry, I had to. 😁

Ok, some more progress pictures. Going slowly but surely. Work has to be performed in order to fit the stock catalytic converter in the X body and many adapters must also be made to allow the two entities (abarth and stock fiat) to run seamlessly. The shifter mechanism and linkage from a 91-93 Honda Accord is used to facilitate shifting. Tony can answer why this was chosen but It is all metal and offers a very smooth shift. Also, the shifting brackets on the abarth engine must be clocked 180 degrees to work with a rear engine setup.
5CEBC5FE-9DC6-4808-A2D5-2157690BE47C.jpeg
558178E7-C36E-4ED9-98F1-08B21068E7A6.jpeg
A67D2CBE-3A6E-4C65-BD6A-FC7B5D4009C2.jpeg
B40151E1-437A-4557-88C6-22B663CC6F60.jpeg
E09EBF9D-2402-4020-96E5-614F8096F666.jpeg
D2CF153D-87EE-4A7C-8A59-B79FADA3B18D.jpeg
9DD70773-D282-474B-92FF-E5539292C8BA.jpeg
4EADC3D1-3DE1-41E7-B9E5-64102ED1D637.jpeg

Regarding stand alone ECU, I've been in contact with MaxxECU. There is no direct support for Multi Air but there's a good chance that the MaxxECU Race unit can handle this engine with its flexible and advanced CAN bus functions. They think the market is small, and making tests for an official solution would be too time consuming and costly.

More work accomplished by the talented Mr. Tony K. There was some damage to one of the MAP sensor connector wires which needed to be salvaged and replaced and it is suspected that the shifter cables had been replaced at some point as well. The engine is now being installed into Tony’s custom “test body” constructed from the engine compartment of a parts car. This allows the engine to be test fitted and ran prior to final installation in my X.
6CD5DCA7-AB1F-40EF-81EA-794CAF86898F.jpeg
F2A4BC95-1DBB-49C0-B69F-BA6CD0B5E599.jpeg
6202D1B2-A0C5-4061-8931-F5E15659B255.jpeg
FC08D024-4376-423A-9476-798A70045BCC.jpeg
DCE5358A-1E39-499C-959D-E686AD6C072D.jpeg

Back