What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I removed the bumpers from my '78 and am now considering the options... Bumperless, or any of that potential "Euro-style" kits out there. Do you have a favorite? Ciao and Cheers!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I removed the bumpers from my '78 and am now considering the options... Bumperless, or any of that potential "Euro-style" kits out there. Do you have a favorite? Ciao and Cheers!
It's not allowing me to attach photos for some reason...

Pulled the starter for the start of the new year. Next step is the MWB gear reduction replacement. Wishing everyone a very Happy New Year!!

Attachments

• PXL_20230101_204158433.jpg
    PXL_20230101_204158433.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 57
Pulled the starter for the start of the new year. Next step is the MWB gear reduction replacement. Wishing everyone a very Happy New Year!!
Did you test the starter outside the car? Just clip on some jumper cables and brace it with your foot as you bridge a wire to the solenoid.

Finished welding in a new drivers side front wing on 87. Fitment took some work (as new panels usually do) but ended up working out pretty good. Gray overspray is weld thru primer applied to seams. Decided to start completing body work this winter in preparation for eventual repaint. The front wing wasn’t in the plan as I never knew how rusted it was until I removed bumper and trim. Also in the process of repairing what I’m assuming is usual rust areas on lower front fenders.

Attachments

• DB4FD413-C314-42E7-9361-0445D86B307E.jpeg
    DB4FD413-C314-42E7-9361-0445D86B307E.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 83
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Removed the bumpers on my 80. Saved quite a bit of weight and looks so much better (in my opinion) as its creator intended. Got the fiberglass mock bumpers in the UK from Andy Shaw. On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/andy.shaw.581120210802_165820.jpg20210802_165436.jpg
20210802_165436.jpg
20210802_165820.jpg

That looks amazing 🥂what rims are those and what tyres? Bravo 👏
Thanks! Cromodora CD66, 7 in. front, 8 in. rear, Toyo 185x60 13 front, 205x60 13 rear. After lowering the car for vintage racing, I had to trim the fender edges to avoid rubbing. Eventually switched to different 6 in. rims because of handling issues on track. It seems that wider is not always better. Here she is with her 6 in. rims, 185x60 13 front and rear.
IMG_1681.jpeg

I haven't done this TO my car yet, but I'm considering changing the look of the wheels that came with the car. They have some rash, and the surfaces are just in need in general. Our cars (especially the 70's one) are - in my opinion - a bit ostentatious by design... more conservative Stratos? So... I like the idea of going with some period colour(s). My son is pretty adept with computer graphics and worked up these samples for me. Off the top, the black ones bore me. Thoughts and suggestions? Ciao!

Attachments

• x19wheels_angled_bronze_deeplip2.jpg
    x19wheels_angled_bronze_deeplip2.jpg
    746.5 KB · Views: 96
  • x19wheels_angled_bronze2.jpg
    x19wheels_angled_bronze2.jpg
    757.6 KB · Views: 99
  • x19wheels_black.jpg
    x19wheels_black.jpg
    696.7 KB · Views: 93
  • x19wheels_bronze.jpg
    x19wheels_bronze.jpg
    713.7 KB · Views: 95
  • x19wheels_black_withlip.jpg
    x19wheels_black_withlip.jpg
    707.4 KB · Views: 96
  • x19wheels_bronze_withlip.jpg
    x19wheels_bronze_withlip.jpg
    718.3 KB · Views: 102
  • x19wheels_VERYgold.jpg
    x19wheels_VERYgold.jpg
    720.4 KB · Views: 100
  • x19wheels_VERYgold_cutlip.jpg
    x19wheels_VERYgold_cutlip.jpg
    721.7 KB · Views: 100
I haven't done this TO my car yet, but I'm considering changing the look of the wheels that came with the car. They have some rash, and the surfaces are just in need in general. Our cars (especially the 70's one) are - in my opinion - a bit ostentatious by design... more conservative Stratos? So... I like the idea of going with some period colour(s). My son is pretty adept with computer graphics and worked up these samples for me. Off the top, the black ones bore me. Thoughts and suggestions? Ciao!
I'm with you on black wheels. I've never quite liked the look. It seems to blend the whole tire and wheel into a unnoticeable part of the undercarriage rather than a featured component. Kind of like the difference between a plain stock steel wheel and a nice aftermarket alloy.

The gold is more period correct:
10_countach.jpg

Lancis_Stratos_Style_wheels_Ferrari_308_gtb_d.jpg

Miura-SV-Survivor-Edited-Images-7-of-9-970x647.jpg

Clean-Stanced-BMW-2002-Thailand-3.jpg

I like the two-tone gold and silver lip (second and fourth pics) most.

I'm with you on black wheels. I've never quite liked the look. It seems to blend the whole tire and wheel into a unnoticeable part of the undercarriage rather than a featured component. Kind of like the difference between a plain stock steel wheel and a nice aftermarket alloy.

The gold is more period correct:
View attachment 69347
View attachment 69348
View attachment 69349
View attachment 69350

I like the two-tone gold and silver lip (second and fourth pics) most.
Yeah. Did it on my past X and loved it...

Attachments

• 1979 X19 Kieran Gold.jpg
    1979 X19 Kieran Gold.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 75
I regret I didn't paint my steelies gold instead of silver. I have black 19" wheels on my Golf R and it is looking good but that is completely different from a classic X1/9.
I suggest gold and/or silver.

Gold wheels on a gold car is a similar concept as black wheels on a black car - the wheels fade into the background and are not a feature. Black wheels all the details of the wheels disappear completely.

Dr. Jeff's examples are Black with Gold (good contrast and adds colour) and red with gold (just enough contrast to work). Contrast is good. Gives the eye something to look at.

In my opinion with gold paint on the car I'd say bright silver wheels would look the best.

Roy

Of the presented choices, I think I like #6 best.

This is so personnal. Old timers, like most of the X19's owners, tend to be conservative. I'm one. I don't like colored wheels with the ring in the same colour. I like a silver ring. But the monochrome gold ones are starting to gain my favor. Still, I wouldn't get an all black wheel. It is a recent trend that isn't matching the x19. But everybody is allowed to have it's own taste. So I would pick up the gold wheels with a silver ring.

Back